SQN closure

I think 633 Sqn picked their number…I might be totally wrong but vaguely remember a social media post around it

1 Like

That’s what happened when two squadrons merged in my wing. The F squadron was closed and folded into another squadron which then adopted the XXF name instead.

The squadron number that was lost was eventually resurrected for a DF that became a squadron.

1827 picked their own too… never been allocated before that

Yup - 13 (City of Exeter) - closed for a short while, so lost the ‘F’ when it re-opened

1 Like

Wilf , I am led to believe that is our regional policy in the event of merging.

Quizmaster General level of knowledge right there.

I believe they’re keeping 7F.

7F moved to 90’s location, but 90 announced their “final intake” in September and final time they were parading the 90 Banner at remembrance last year.

That right, @bob?

2 Likes

I’ve been in 2 different wings in the past 5 years and both have lost at least 1 Unit.

But they have lost a Squadron per se, 7F was moved from Aigburth as a co-location not as a merger, an excuse which was seen through from the start. This is the same aa an RAF Squadron standing down and standing up at another location. 7F regains it’s historical detached flight flight.

The mini-bus thefts from the Garson site amplifies the poor security at that sight compared to the AR barracks they were moved from, at which the ACF and SCC remain.

Where they formed after the ATC was formed and were not original ADCC Squadrons.

Our Wing has lost 2 in the last couple of years - both due to lack of staffing.

There were factors behind the 7F situation, namely one CO upped and left, behind the door dealing about a joint cadet forces building by converting the indoor range, the in building conversion was to be jointly funded by the ATC/ACF/SCC but the ATC pulled out, the conversion went ahead and the ACF and SCC remain on site. Wheels within wheels between wing HQ and above also came into play, yes you know who you are. The new Wing Commander has a conflict of interest in that hw was responsible for the CEP for RFCA NW in establishing CCF units of which an RAF one was established at Kings Academy about a mile away and nobody told the Squadron.

Far more behind the scenes that on show.

There is a 7F DF?

The former OCW, he left post October last year

1 Like

He did I believe, but he was instrumental on both sides of the situation for what happened. He instigated the co-location but for that read eventual merger.
He was there for about 12 to 14 months, another amalgamation planned as far as I know has not taken place.

Now 4 break ins in the last year or so at 90s location.

New wing commander? Think you mean old wing commander.

90 Squadron were originally a DF of 7F and then gained full Squadron status.

How long ago was that? When they started or more recently ?

My dad was there in the 50’s and said it wasn’t a DF then and had strong numbers.

We are going back before then maybe even to ADCC times.