SNCO's daughter

Good afternoon!!

I am in need of some help a SNCO ATC on my sqn has decided that her daughter is going to be in uniform for rememberance Sunday and she will be playing the last post. Now I wouldn’t normally have an issue with this but this girl is only 12 and not a cadet!! The SNCO thinks its no problem what so ever and to make it worse when I spoke to the CO about it he just said let her get on with it

As far as I can see this is wrong and shouldn’t be allowed the question is what can or should I do about it??

Sounds bang out of order.
Put her in CS95 and pretend she’s an army cadet.

What to do about it? Reinforce your position with the OC, especially if the uniform will be coming from ATC stock.

[quote=“incubus” post=12658]Sounds bang out of order.
Put her in CS95 and pretend she’s an army cadet.[/quote]

Nah, marine cadet.

[quote=“zinggy” post=12657]
I am in need of some help a SNCO ATC on my sqn has decided that her daughter is going to be in uniform for rememberance Sunday and she will be playing the last post. [/quote]

Can’t she be on the parade in smart civilian clothes and play the last post?

Her mother won’t have it she “has” to be in uniform as far as I see it no one under the age of 13 should be on the sqn never mind in uniform! The problem is the SNCO told the RBL that we have a cadet that can play last post when in reality her plan all along was to put her daughter in uniform which she picked out of stores months ago

Might be worth pointing out to the CO that as she is playing the bugle she is likely to photographed a lot by the local press. Since Remembrance Parades require a PIPE to be submitted with the cadets names it might end up with awkward questions from WHQ if she is a twelve year old cadet not listed on his books. (or will he be giving the media a fake name and hope they don’t get rumbled?)

Regarding the ‘let her get on with it’ comment sounds a bit like the CO doesn’t want to challenge the Adult SNCO and has just given up trying to manage her in exchange for a quite life.

You could always mention it to your friendly WSO…even phrase it as a hypothetical…

Or you could front up to the OC and say ‘this isn’t right and I will do something about it’.

I can see an argument for either of the above being ‘right’ depending on your relationship with the people involved.

Or arrange for the daughter to have ‘an accident’.

I just hope she’s damn good at playing the Last Post…

If not, the uniform will be the least of my worries…

[quote=“talon” post=12659]

Can’t she be on the parade in smart civilian clothes and play the last post?[/quote]

Sensible answer. Smart civvies and poppy. Anything else looks a little parmilitary, and could open a can of worms or two.

SNCO ATC = Been in too long and thinks no rules apply.
OC = Ineffective

Zinggy - Do them both. Silly little things like this escalate. The only way to handle it is aggressively, if it cannot be solved in the correct way. There are so many implications that could go badly wrong. These have been mentioned such as PIPE, photographic imagery; etc. But there are the moral reasons as well.

A the SNCO is the kid’s mother and the kid is not a cadet there should be no requirement or concern with PIPE: the parent is bringing the child as a private individual.

They would need to understand that the child is not covered by ACO indemnity and I wonder whether the RBL would assume some kind of protection. I would also be concerned about the supervision they can give to their child.

The issue of them being passed off as an air cadet is another matter altogether.

Meet with them both and give them options:

Easy way = point out regulations and suggest daughter can parade in smart civvies whilst blowing trumpet. Happy days, no implications for anyone and little girl gets to show off in front of mummy and daddy.

Hard way = point out regulations and appeal to reason. If ‘my trainset’ argument occurs, inform them that you’re prepared to escalate the situation through your Wg P Staff\WExO if necessary. If your WWO has a set of cojones, then run the issue past him as well and request his support prior to meeting with ineffective OC and ‘bendy-rules’ SNCO. Tell ‘bendy-rules’ SNCO to book his daughter on ‘Britains Got Talent’. Happy days, little girl gets to blow trumpet in front of Simon Cowell.

The SNCO is not caring about the regulation, so she should be told out right that the daughter is not to wear the uniform and that she is to blow the bugle in civies, and also that the RBL should be notified that it is not a cadet who is playing the last post.

[quote=“Gunner” post=12696]Meet with them both and give them options:

Easy way = point out regulations and suggest daughter can parade in smart civvies whilst blowing trumpet. Happy days, no implications for anyone and little girl gets to show off in front of mummy and daddy.

Hard way = point out regulations and appeal to reason. If ‘my trainset’ argument occurs, inform them that you’re prepared to escalate the situation through your Wg P Staff\WExO if necessary. If your WWO has a set of cojones, then run the issue past him as well and request his support prior to meeting with ineffective OC and ‘bendy-rules’ SNCO. Tell ‘bendy-rules’ SNCO to book his daughter on ‘Britains Got Talent’. Happy days, little girl gets to blow trumpet in front of Simon Cowell.[/quote]

It’s as simple as this ^

Would be interested to see what backup is given by WSO/WWO though.

Well still no joy on this and now a CI is kicking off and wants her son in uniform for this sunday and thats right you guessed it he is 12 and not a cadet they were even trying uniform on!

Looks like a chat with the WWO later today.

[quote=“zinggy” post=12891]Well still no joy on this and now a CI is kicking off and wants her son in uniform for this sunday and thats right you guessed it he is 12 and not a cadet they were even trying uniform on!

Looks like a chat with the WWO later today.[/quote]

you must have a spectacularly rubbish OC. my sympathy…

perhaps pop down to parade later with a silverthiefs catalogue and go around the office asking people what wings/daggers/funny-coloured-berets and medals they want to wear on the day, and see if your OC twigs.

CI’s in MTP, tour beards, and Second Afghan Campaign medals?

Must admit its getting that bad that im starting to ask why I even bother anymore

Might as well just nip down to the local primary school with a pile of uniform and ask who wants to come out at the weekend to play dress up. :stuck_out_tongue:

This sounds like a ridiculous situation. All the adult individuals involved need to get a grip.

An ineligible child cannot be permitted to wear air force pattern uniform and insignia as part of an officially-sanctioned public parade, thus appearing to be part of the ACO. Neither a CO nor a parent CI has the authority to approve such an action. A breach of the 1894 Uniforms Act could be the least of their problems. This young and misdirected individual is >not< a Cadet, and therefore is not allowed to appear as if they were (nor would they be insured).

Simple logical solution: have the child enrolled as a youth member of the RBL/RBLS. The local Legion Bandmaster is contacted as a courtesy, the bugler then wears Legion headgear and badges, along with smart civilian collared black+whites.

Sunday sorted.

And that is it, apart from overall reality checks, and future arrangements such that the youngster becomes an Air Cadet as soon as they’re old enough in 2014.

wilf_san

I am yet to hear back from the WWO I really didnt want to take it to him but I feel that I have been forced to.

Lets hope he can talk some sense into them If it isnt sorted by Sunday I will be going back to my home town to march with my Dad instead of the sqn.

[quote=“zinggy” post=12891]Well still no joy on this and now a CI is kicking off and wants her son in uniform for this sunday and thats right you guessed it he is 12 and not a cadet they were even trying uniform on!

Looks like a chat with the WWO later today.[/quote]

Oh my! Someone needs to grip these people.