Snco as OC Sqn with Officers under their command

I’m shocked that this can all be a non-issue by just being polite and adult. \s

4 Likes

Sorry, I realise this is a behaviour not normally expected.

6 Likes

And, a mature attitude which I fear can sometimes be lacking.

2 Likes

The SNCO or Officer still needs to fulfill the matrix for the next rank up. Its just the time limits are ignored. Well thats my understanding when you read the PIs

1 Like

This kinda blows my mind and kind of devalues the need for a rank structure, but maybe it’s just my Reg RAF brain not being able to compute it

I know a guy in the regulat army who was acting as a troop commander as a Staff Sergeant and WO2 before he was LEO’d to Captain elsewhere.

That’s not uncommon but you wouldn’t have an officer under their command it would cause an administrative mess!

1 Like

With the regulars when a new officer arrives at a new posting even at the basic level it is assumed that he/she has all the attributes to command, but not the experience, I know I may have professionally out qualified my ward’s sergeant on paper, but he taught me how to be an officer on a daily basis. I’m sure that @Horriblelittletechie will confirm that a Squadron Engineering Warrant Officer will guide the JENGOs and even act as engineering detachment leaders.

Brand new officers require instruction and guidance and as they maybe the only officer on a Squadron how do they gain that?

Within the RAFC there are not enough Squadron officers available therefore they have to work with what is available.

4 Likes

Yeah, I mean they’re not wrong in the sense that the officer is definitely in charge, but we all know it’s the FS/WO that runs things.

I’ve been on detachments where the highest rank is a FS holding the auths. So officers… Definitely not needed…

2 Likes

Just to sign the beer chits and definitely not allowed to do anything less important like the tasking in question.

Absolutely.

Just get in the way with ideas that are totally in line with their station. That is, up in the clouds with no connect to the real world :wink:

1 Like

But why do you want a CFC? Why couldnt you do an exec role as a SGT?

If you read my post, it’s explained.

The keywords, once again, are “right now”. Not never.

Perhaps it’s my reading comprehension that makes me an officer? :wink:

To be honest, the application of common sense says perhaps you shouldn’t be …

2 Likes

Nah, it’s your lack of map reading skills :rofl:

2 Likes

As a contributor to a youth organisation delivering formative experiences for cadets I do sometimes smile at the knots that we adults get into. As far as I see it, military command in the RAF is a construct legally enforceable through the Air Force Act. The RAFAC may be moulded by our parent service but I don’t think I have ever seen a case of an adult volunteer of any status being dealt with in a legal military sense for refusing to do something asked of them by another adult volunteer of whatever status who is deemed to be " in command".
If you are lucky enough to make your contribution on a unit that is staffed by a group of grown-ups then the cadet facing activity will be exemplified by the proper exercise of our legal and moral responsibilities with a light touch but with the military niceties preserved for the cadets. By that I mean if the OC has organisational leadership responsibilities (irrespective of RAFAC rank/status) in front of the cadets she/he/etc refers to others by their appropriately recognised rank role and asks/directs asks them to carry out a task for the unit. If an RAFAC SNCO is the unit responsible adult then surely the same approach applies prefixed/followed by a sir/ ma’am for officers, the appropriate rank for SNCOs and Mr/Mrs/Miss/other for CIs . However, if behind closed doors we aren’t able to talk to each other by using our given first names then we really are in the deep dodo.

5 Likes

I’ll have you know I’m actually great with a map…:rofl:

#TruthExposed

All reminds me of some wisdom given to me many years ago.

Let the Officers think they’re in charge, whilst the SNCOs know they’re in charge.

2 Likes

So if you dont “right now” want to be an OC. Whats wrong with being SNCO?

My comprehension of what you said is just fine. I just dont understand your logic for having to be an officer in the RAFAC when you were as a regular?