Shooting Pathway

Finally got the DBS through and now can go down to Sqn.
The CO is keen to get me on the path to being able to deliver shooting to the cadets.

Get that the higher level SC has to be the first thing sorted, hopefully not as long as the DBS took to sort.

Can I ask what should / is the order the courses have to be completed in.

1 Like

First step will be getting some experience for your self! That means getting trained and WHTd on the various weapon systems that we use, and then spending some time putting lead down range.

Best bet, imo, would be to get in contact with the WShO and say you are keen to get qualified. Then get your self on the next initial weapons training courses asap!

1 Like

Seconded, Get yourself trained and go to shoots.
You can be useful on range days even without having completed qualification courses, being Ammo Orderly or even sentry (less fun but still needed) get some experience on how the days run and whatā€™s required.

But as JB sayā€™s a chat with your Wing Shooting Officer will help point you in the right direction.

2 Likes

Shooting is not a new thing for me, done a lot of different weapons in my personal and professional life.

Thanks for the info, will put the wheels in motion.

Courses wise, Iā€™d recommend skipping AR RCO and going straight in for Short Range RCO once youā€™re back in the swing.

Not knowing your experience, but the way ranges run is a bit different to civvy clubs - being comfortable with fire control orders will definitely help with confidence on the course.

Once youā€™ve seen a few skill at arms lessons and are properly familiar with the L98, the SAAI course is worthwhile. Not as scary as some make out, but know the rifle first.

1 Like

This might be the case, but have you done a lot of marksmenship stuff from an Air Cadet point of view? It may well differ from what you are used to!

Obviously basic principles will be the same, but the bit that needs learning is our procedures for everything.

1 Like

Marksmanship Principles should be the sameā€¦

@Fubar feel free to drop me a line if youā€™re down southā€¦

there is no set order and certainly no ā€œhave toā€ elements after the SC.

Once Initial Weapons Training (IWT) completed it makes sense to consider coaching and safety supervisor courses. This will expose you to how ranges run, highlight the differences from your prior experience into Cadet shooting and in turn will only help your appreciation for the RCO role.
if teaching is your thing Skill At Arms Instructor (SAAI) is the course to look at.

there is no issue being keen, but realistically it could be two years until you have the ā€œfull setā€ should you want them all.

1 Like

My issue with the coaching course is it no longer enables anything - you donā€™t get the safety authorisation you used to.

If youā€™ve history coaching, thereā€™s probably little value in going on the coaching course rather than jumping straight into either K or SR courses.

Only when it comes to doing Long Range RCO.

Ignoring the Fundamentals of Coaching Course, Iā€™d suggest starting with the K Qual ā€œSA(K)17ā€ will allow you to undertake a a few roles on a range day and get some more experience. After then look at the Short Range RCO course ā€œSA(SR)07ā€
I do agree with @Squirrel and avoid the Air Rifle RCO course unless thatā€™s all you ever intend to do.

As you already have experience Iā€™d say you can do either the K Qual or the short range. It depends on what facilities you have locally.

If you are interested in long range then the K Qual makes sense as it is required for the LR RCO anyway.

If your local shoots are more likely to be air rifle / miniature range / 25 m then the SR course allows you to be both safety supervisor and RCO. So you can get more done more quickly.

I agree donā€™t bother with the AR course.

Also you will need Activity First Aid or First Aid At Work (and the cat bleed module).

Cat bleeds module isnā€™t a requirement of RCO. Itā€™s a requirement of the range. The range must have a ā€˜medicā€™ who has done cat bleeds, and that should be someone with no other allocated role, so not the RCO!

Thatā€™s my understanding anyway.

You have to have AFA to exercise the range tickets so might as well make sure it includes cat bleed? As the OP is starting from scratch in effect.

While I donā€™t disagree being AFA/FAW is a good idea,
itā€™s not a requirement to be able to exercise the qualification. In fact is pretty clear that the RCO cannot be the medic on a range so their first aid qualification is irrelevant.

2 Likes

Ah ok.
I understood that you needed AFA to exercise any range ticket. Iā€™m aware that the RCO canā€™t be the medic.

Nah, just basic first aid qual thatā€™s required as a minimum by all

1 Like

If you are an AT Qual holder then you need AFA to be able to exercise the AT Qual

Yeah you do for AT Quals

Also for FCIs

Reference for that in policy?

1 Like