Scottish Air Force

So the SNP have released released info on how they plan to establish an independant defence capability.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/11/9348/10

Thoughts… :popcorn:

Have they seen “Carry on up the Khyber”? That’s all they need to do.

OH NO
IACE. It would be just my Squadrons luck to be successful in a bid to exchange Air cadets with Scotland in a few years time.

Well, the Scots currently make up about 10% of the UK’s GDP, so lets assume that they start with a defence budget of £6,000,000,000 - a defence budget that they’ve promised to reduce…

Say they knock 10% off of that, they end up playing in the same league as Chile.

[quote=“briank” post=13773]OH NO
IACE. It would be just my Squadrons luck to be successful in a bid to exchange Air cadets with Scotland in a few years time.[/quote]

I bet they would still manage to make it cost several hundred £s even though it would be in essence an extended annual camp.

[quote=“MattB” post=13776]Well, the Scots currently make up about 10% of the UK’s GDP, so lets assume that they start with a defence budget of £6,000,000,000 - a defence budget that they’ve promised to reduce…

Say they knock 10% off of that, they end up playing in the same league as Chile.[/quote]

Which for a country of the size Scotland would be if they become independant would be a reasonably strong position. I supose it would depend on there being the political will to ensure that they where properly equiped and effectivly used.

1. I’m all in favour of Scottish independence
  2. Chile is nails
  3. I think the SNP are mad if they think they’ll get ‘a share’ of equipment/ships/aircraft etc. They may well get a share of manpower, in that Scots serving in HM forces would be given the chance to transfer, but there’s no way that they would have any claim on anything else recognised. They’ll be lucky if they get a crate of surplus assault boots.

One thing they don’t seem to have considered (or are simply ignoring), is what happens if a large proportion of Scots serving in HM Armed Forces decide to stay put/transfer into other units.

Their policy is in the short term reliant on the majority transfering to the “Scottish Defence Force”.

In the long term this problem would be addressed by increased recruitment, but they would need to build the infrastructure (i.e. recruitment and training facilities) to make this possible and to do so to a standard that is comparable with most NATO countries could take years.

This assumes of course that they remained part of NATO, as despite the SNP’s assertions that this is their goal, it is not gauranteed (much like their wish to remain in the EU).

[quote=“born middle aged” post=13782]One thing they don’t seem to have considered (or are simply ignoring), is what happens if a large proportion of Scots serving in HM Armed Forces decide to stay put/transfer into other units.

Their policy is in the short term reliant on the majority transfering to the “Scottish Defence Force”.

In the long term this problem would be addressed by increased recruitment, but they would need to build the infrastructure (i.e. recruitment and training facilities) to make this possible and to do so to a standard that is comparable with most NATO countries could take years.

This assumes of course that they remained part of NATO, as despite the SNP’s assertions that this is their goal, it is not gauranteed (much like their wish to remain in the EU).[/quote]

I am related to a middle/senior member of the SNP, who constantly collars me at do’s to let me know I have a future as a leader of the Scottish Air Force. Given that I’ve made my assertations that I enjoy life in the Royal Air Force, both politely and once extremely loudly and violently; his continuing dogmatism sums up the SNP for me. Stupid and blind to what they’ve already been told plenty of times.

I look forward to watching it all fall down from this side of the border!!!

“Increasing the fast jet fleet of Typhoons potentially up to 16 aircraft which would enable Scotland to contribute to alliance operations overseas”

What fleet?? the Typhoons are RAF do they expect us to give them a few??? more holes in this policy than have in my socks

The idea is that, when the Act of Union is dissolved, the military forces currently shared by the 2 kingdoms will be split up on a pro-rata basis. In the SNP’s basic mind this means that Scotland will inherit and operate a number of Typhoons.

If they’re splitting everything 1/12 to 11/12, I think it will be interesting to see what the Scottish Air Force do with their 1/4 of an Airseeker.

The idea is that, when the Act of Union is dissolved, the military forces currently shared by the 2 kingdoms will be split up on a pro-rata basis. In the SNP’s basic mind this means that Scotland will inherit and operate a number of Typhoons.[/quote]

I wonder if they have considered how they are going to maintain these jets, plus the other aircraft that they want (Hercules, helicopters etc). Unlike previous generations of aircraft (Lightning and Phantom) Typhoon is a digital, computer heavy jet which can’t be fixed with a roll of bodge tape and a hammer. It requires expensive facilities and equipment to keep them airworthy which the Scottish government would have to pay for (either new build or buy into the existing Typhoon Maintainance Facility at Coningsby).

I think the SNP expect some form of horse trading to go on: for example, we get an airseeker and a C17 but you can have all of the nukes.

They should really look at what Ireland got after independence.

From memory it was the real estate and two armoured cars.

Although the British government did eventually sell them the gunboat that had been used to demolish most of Dublin city centre in 1916.

and what future for the Scottish Air Cadets?

And cadet forces in general North of the boder?

Probably the easiest and least affected, as running a unit primarily requires real estate (almost certainly gifted), staff (who would almost certainly remain with their community units) and funding (which the Scottish Government would probably keep providing).

There might be quite an impact on flying, gliding and shooting for a while though, depending on how well things are negotiated.

Topic split maybe?

[quote=“MattB” post=13797]Probably the easiest and least affected, as running a unit primarily requires real estate (almost certainly gifted), staff (who would almost certainly remain with their community units) and funding (which the Scottish Government would probably keep providing).

There might be quite an impact on flying, gliding and shooting for a while though, depending on how well things are negotiated.

Topic split maybe?[/quote]

It actually says pretty much all that in the document originally linked to…

Dont want to be partof our Gang eh… well go and buy your own toys…or add them to your christmas list to Santa, bloody cheek thinking your going to get half of a Royal Navy thatisnt realy capable of fighting a War and 14 of our Fighter jets too…