Rules on SI as Sqn Commander

Can anyone point me to the rules on an SI commanding a Sqn - allowed or not?

Thanks

It poses problems for HQAC as SIs are not recorded on Universe, only locally on SMS (no idea why, I think we need to fix this process with the new system but there canā€™t receive any allowances from us so I assume that is the reason)

This means the SI can be allocated as the OC on the system.

is there anything in the JSPs? I know a SI Sgt cant become a RAFAC Sgtā€¦ive asked that question before but its not our regs its the RAF.

This would be an RAF Officer as Sqn OCā€¦cant find anything at the moment

This sounds like a Wexo Q

2 Likes

All i can find is this:

In accordance with Reference B, Regular Armed Forces personnel may not be enrolled as CFAV, although they may help at cadet units as ā€˜Service Instructorsā€™.

There seems to be nothing else other than that. At the back of my mind i do remember something about SIā€™s not being allowed to hold ā€œcommand appointmentsā€ at Sqn/Wing/Region levels as it would cause a conflict with the requirements as a serving officer. But i cannot remember if i was told this (and it was rubbish) or if i read it somewhere.

1 Like

Regardless of how qualified they may be, I can see reasons why they canā€™t be OC, for example if they are deployed at short notice.

Iā€™ve seen many positions held by regular and reserve staff in my wing and region.

Those persons have made the appointment work very well.

Would be something asking your WExO, but I donā€™t see why it canā€™t be done.

What constitutes a ā€œcommand appointmentā€? I know of a few cases where SIs currently hold Wing and Region appointments

Why is that any difference to a Sqn OC who is RAFAC leaving / going NEP with no notice? This is not unusualā€¦

1 Like

I beg to differ there, they can be trawled at a moments notice.

I know of RAFAC OCs phone up WHQs and say ā€œI resign as of now - go find someone else to run my unit - Iā€™ll drop my uniform off at WHQ tomorrowā€

2 Likes

Iā€™ve know a RAF Hofficer and RAF NCO taking up the position; down to no suitable candidate at squadron or in local area to cover.

1 Like

although that could happen, it wouldnā€™t be as predictable as Service personnel who are known by default to be deployable in minimal notice.

On a previous unit we had 3 SIs over a series of years but their attendance was so infrequent due to deployments (anything from a week else in the UK, to a month in USA to months in sandy places) and night flying duties that the we never knew what to do with themā€¦

if an SI feels that they have the predictable work pattern to commit then great, and as an OC? well that is perfect, but if it isnā€™t a deployment there is always a transfer, a new tour, or something which could occur.
Gordon Moulds stint as CAC was cut short because of a greater opportunity for himā€¦

It can be done, I know of an RAF Officer that was OC of a Squadron. He held the position for about a year before retiring from the RAF and moving away from the area.

Iā€™ve known an SI be both a Sector Commander and a Squadron Commander over the years.

No itā€™s not impossible, but often more predictable and generally not at last minute notice.

Yes, they are allowed to be Sqn Cdrs. Regional Commandantā€™s recommendation/justification and approval by HQRAFAC I believe.

I donā€™t think they can as we had a sqn leader as an si but a flt lt as an oc

Thatā€™s not the same thing - you can have an SI as an OC (as you can a CI) if you a) donā€™t have an RAFAC officer to be OC, and the SI volunteers to be an OC.

An OCā€™s authority derives from their appointment as OC, not from them having (or not having) a greater rank than anyone else on the unit - I was an SI on two Sqnā€™s while a higher rank (both acting or substantive) than the OC, but the OC was the boss.

4 Likes