Rob Bruce, aka. Incubus

It is with a huge amount of sadness that I share that Rob, aka Incubus, passed away last week. Rob was a close friend of mine throughout my time in the Air Cadets and beyond. Like many of you know he has been a key member of this forum for a long long time and has provided many words of wisdom, encouragement and wit to everyone that wanted it. It’s still too early to write a lot about him, perhaps I will at some point, but for now just know that he was by far the best man I have ever known. He was a father figure to so many cadets over more than 20 years, he was greatly respected across the Corps, and he will be missed.

25 Likes

I saw this on Social Media this morning.

Rob will be sorely missed across the RAFAC. Across the SNCO/WO and D&C world he was a person who you would know who he was…without even ever meeting the Guy! That is a testament to the type of man he was and the great reputation he leaves behind!

He was truly in this organisation for all the right reasons.

He will be missed

7 Likes

On behalf of all the staff and mods here at Air Cadet Central I’d like to say that this is terrible news.

Rob was, indeed, the perfect ambassador for the Air Cadet organisation and a true gent. His knowledge was second to none and he always put his cadets first.

A massive loss to the RAFAC and ACC.

I met Rob at Waddington a couple of years ago and spoke to him here on the forum. He will be sorely missed.

My thoughts are with his family at this time.

‘Ad Astra’

DJ

7 Likes

This is sad news indeed.
Whilst I never had the pleasure to meet Rob (incubus) in person, he was always level headed and provided sound information and guidance on here.

My profound sympathies to his family and those who knew him personally.

5 Likes

I never met him in person, but he struck me as the sort of WO I would get on with, level headed, fair and with the right focus.

I also gather he had a bit of a sense of humour, because I think it was his taking that cheeky picture of Foley in a “greatcoat”* and sending it off to the uniform peeps that got the greatcoat accidentally added to 1358C.

I shall miss his tempered approach to moderating, stepping in calmly whenever pEp and I get too involved.

7 Likes

That is sad news indeed.

If his family are reading this, please accept my condolences.

4 Likes

What terrible news. My condolences to his family and friends. Whilst we didn’t always see eye to eye I respected his knowledge and wisdom, and will miss his presence here.

3 Likes

Sad news indeed and the forum here will be worse off as a result.

4 Likes

That is a sad thing to read today. Rest in peace Mr Bruce, you will be missed but by the sounds of things you will not be forgotten

4 Likes

Very sorry to hear,
Thoughts and condolences to this family at this tragic time.

4 Likes

Sad to hear :frowning: .

Another name I’ve known for a very long time through the forum but unfortunately never got to meet.

5 Likes

Wow - very sad news indeed… a very nice guy that I had met several times. RIP Rob

3 Likes

Like the mourning band @DJRice.

A big loss round these parts, also an active member of other SM circles, and I’m sure well liked locally and to those who knew him from further afield.

6 Likes

Gutted, I’ll see you at the Re-org mate. I’ll have one for you tonight.

4 Likes

RIP Rob. Thanks for all the help, advice and guidance over the years. You were one of life’s brilliant listeners and you will be sadly missed.

4 Likes

This is utterly tragic news. I met Rob a few times, and always been so impressed by his calm informed style, both in person and here on the forum over the years.

Such a loss for us all, and for his family. His contribution to the wider Corps will be remembered for a long time into the future.

Sad news indeed: my best wishes especially to all at NESW and the squadron.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear the sad news. I met Rob years ago at a few camps and Regional Athletics and also when I was the WWO at the conferences at RAF Cranwell. He was a good ambassador for the RAFAC and a real gentleman. He will be sadly missed. Sympathy goes out to his family and friends. RIP

3 Likes

I never had the pleasure of meeting Rob but he surely brought life to this forum. He will be sadly missed by many, fly high sir. RIP.

3 Likes

Similar to the above, whilst I’m not 100% sure if I met Rob back in the day (or if I did I didn’t realise he was Incubus)

Regardless, here on ACC he was knowledgeable and a pillar of the online community. He will be missed both here and naturally in NESW where he was obviously highly valued!

My sincerest condolences for his friends and family.

Ad Astra, Godspeed Sir!

3 Likes