Retiring with rank

Hi everyone I am anewbie to this site.

Can anyone help with my query… when retiring what rank is given…
I started asCI then 10 years WO 2yrs Plt off, just over 7 years Flg off.
Was promtoed to FLt Lt (substantive) at the end of 2015. If I retire now what
would my rank be?
I have been told that as Flt lt only 12 months in that rank qualifies to retain it, but some say not.

Can anyone enlighten me…

Thanks

Your rank would be Civvie.

1 Like

The airforce board decide and it’s not a right you hold.

Would you like some salt and pepper for your shoulder too?

1 Like

I don’t quite know what you mean by ‘retire with’, but the normal etiquette is that you can only use Rank (ret’d) in your civvy life once you reach the rank of Sqn Ldr/Major etc… so as Flt Lt X you retire as Mr X.

Personally, despite being Maj X (Ret’d), I take the the veiw that it’s deeply sad to keep using military rank once you are no longer military - a nurse wouldn’t do it, a gas fitter wouldn’t do it, a civil servant wouldn’t do it, a headteacher wouldn’t do it…

If you’ve a book to sell or work in a related field - say a former senior RAF Officer working for BAEs, or as a former Bde Commander working as a media commentator on defence issues - then it’s appropriate in your professional life, but for Flt Lt X VR(T) Ret’d to put on their cheque book is just pathetic.

1 Like

These teflon things? Nah.

I don’t know why everyone who isn’t commissioned suddenly has a chip on their shoulder or is jealous?

When I retire I certainly won’t be spending time, money or effort on rank or anything other than Brandy and Rum soaked tobacco for my Rhodesian Pipe. And trying to find the cheapest flights to somewhere so remote I will have to turn left at the Polar Bear to find it.

2 Likes

I think I must have mis worded what I was asking.

But yes to the post who said rank (rt’d) If I leave now what couldwould be the rank (rt’d) offered… if offered at all in RAF

When I left the RAF I went to work for an airline, if I was rostered with a first officer who was an ex Sqn Ldr or Wg Cdr and whose first name I didn’t know, I called them “sport” until I found it out.

Exmpa

1 Like

I think you’ll find that like the rest of us you were promoted to the rank of Flt Lt (Acting paid or unpaid).

Traditionally as previously stated you only keep retired rank if you are a Sqn Ldr or above, that being said I know of plenty of Flt Lt’s who wear No1’s & No5’s for Remembrance Day/Mess Functions as retirees officers. (Which is what I would assume is what you are thinking of, rather than becoming the bloke out of Heidi Hi?)

1 Like

Not everyone, just you… and it seems to apply more to the whole organisation rather than commissioned officers specifically.

2 Likes

Not at all. I like the organisation, it’s a good youth club for the kids. Offers some really good experiences (for now) to kids that otherwise wouldn’t get a chance to.
Yea it’s badly managed, over complicated and full of people justifying their own jobs, with a couple of walts thrown in thinking it’s their own personal Air Force but that’s the way it is with anything these days.

And it’s not commissioned officers in this organisation, just officers in general.

Most dangerous thing on the battlefield is an Officer with a map.

The 1970s!

1 Like

One would assume it’s only really relevant within the context of the cadet forces - however it is vaguely relevant when it comes to dining in nights, formal parades, etc.

1 Like

hi daws

Yes, When it comes to official parades for wearing my uniform…and I personally would like to keep my rank after leaving, I realise for those who have actually had a career in the forces it may be different, but I have been a volunteer for 30 years which was not just a couple of hours a week, considerabley more and with 3 children and hubby to look after also difficult at times. I am not alone there but not many females managed 31 years, as adult volunteers.
I believe in the RAFAC officers are offered their rank upon leaving. I only wanted to clarify which rank as I didn’t short cut by time served I put in all my years…my last being 2015 to Flt lt (substantive) paid.(that is how it was written) and OC of a sqn.

2 Likes

Looks like it will be Flt Lt!

Edited for not paying attention!

Point to note - you aren’t Flt Lt (Substantive). The only substantive ranks in the RAFVR(T) are Pilot Officer and Flying Officer. Everything else is acting (either Paid or Unpaid).

Always loved those entries in the London Gazette
’Commissions Relinquished
Flying Officers
J. D. S, C. B., C.V.O., A.F.C. (retaining the
rank of Air Vice-Marshal)
P. G. N, O.B.E. (retaining the rank of Air
Commodore)

1 Like

RearAdmiralScrinson9h
Not at all. I like the organisation, it’s a good youth club for the kids. Offers some really good experiences (for now) to kids that otherwise wouldn’t get a chance to.
Yea it’s badly managed, over complicated and full of people justifying their own jobs, with a couple of walts thrown in thinking it’s their own personal Air Force but that’s the way it is with anything these days.

And it’s not commissioned officers in this organisation, just officers in general.

Most dangerous thing on the battlefield is an Officer with a map.

I know a lot of people who may take exception to the word “youth Club” I have seen so many changes over the years but with so many cut backs the things which made Air Cadets ie: flying, gliding, shooting are difficult today. Lack of pilots, planes, gliders and RCO’s. Not to mention time and H&S. Just summer camps have deminished, and with H&S the restrictions are many, which adds such a workload to the people who hold down their own jobs plus air cadets… But there are also a lot of as you put it “people justifying jobs and walts” especially in the higher archy, but I have come across alot of people who think it is their air force and demand the glory… For me I have known so many children at 13 and have lost them at now 18 yers old (which was 22 years) it is always heart breaking saying goodbye. But there are no words how to explain what AC is, how we become this unique club, who have pride in what they do. No we are not the real thing when it comes to the forces and our training is none existant, we do not have the time to learn and progress as the real guys do. and it is our will to work with these young people. But for those who genuinely give there all, for no monetary gain after decades, then offering us all a keep sake of rank is not a lot to ask and costs nothing.
You could call it the receiving of the proverbial Gold Watch.

Sorry didn’t mean to waffle.

Being referred to as a youth club is not an insult. Nor should it be scoffed at. I don’t see why the uniformed types get all upset about it. It’s a sponsored youth club.

If you want to go ahead. It doesn’t affect me one bit. But I know I would be focusing my energy on other things. I don’t walk around referring to myself by my old rank. Because in the real world, no one actually cares. I would rather get a watch.

But if it brings you a tiny slice of happiness then go for it.

1 Like

To be fair, how different are MCHC’s motivations from those that choose to wear a veterans lapel badge?

It’s simply a tangible reminder of the time they’ve given up for their respective organisations.