Retiring with rank

Not to a youth club, but that is not what the CF are; they are youth organisations

Not every “club” for youths is a “youth club”, a term with connotations of a casual gathering place with discos and play areas, which doesn’t really represent organisations such as ours.

1 Like

A youth organisation then.

for what it’s worth, I left a few years back and received a letter from HQAC that said (can’t remember the exact wording but) something along the lines of being granted permission to use the rank of Flt Lt RAFVR(T) (Ret) and wear uniform on appropriate occasions. My No1 trousers have moth holes and I’m not the beanpole I was when I was fitted for the jacket, so there is no way in hell that’s possible! :smiley:

1 Like

Off topic posts removed.

Why would anyone in the ATC or cadet forces want or feel the need to ‘retire’ from their youth club/organisation hobby and “keep” the rank that they wore?

Where would you use it?

Why would you use it?

Is this a vanity thing, like with many previously serving officers who just can’t let go.

Being Flt Lt/Sqn Ldr/Wg Cdr/Gp Capt up retired holds very little importance for the majority of people. I think the only people who might see it as important are the Hyacinth Buckets of this world or if someone wanted to be a local celeb in a village, opening envelopes and fetes or being Chairman/woman of the parish council.

It’s funny how people speak of themselves, I’ve always said I’m in the ATC and run x Sqn and never I’m a in the ATC. Because the important thing is being staff in the ATC and not the rank or position you hold.

1 Like

Absolutely. ‘I’m in charge of the CCF at Blank School’ does nicely. Rank unimportant except where it is required to do what I need - indeed sometimes it’s unhelpful as it causes some to switch to ‘speaking to an officer’ mode!

Ahh yes, mostly people who think being an officer means something special.
I’ve had people speak to me in RP or similar using words they can’t spell or understand, forgetting that I’m a local lad and do not hold to any pretentions, which is obvious when I start to speak. I’ve also had a few who look at me like I’ve got two heads, because I don’t speak proper like what they think I should.

Evidently people can’t keep to the topic so I’ve locked it.