Reservists - one year Brexit call-up?

Very interesting Parliamentary Written Answer:

The order shall take effect from the beginning of 10 February 2019 and shall cease to have effect at the end of 9 February 2020.

Is this in case it kicks off?

I saw some lady on TV prepping as if it were the end of the world with her food stocks including a huge squeezy tub of Marmite.

It’s more likely to be for the skills that the army has in abundance, people to fetch and carry in the docks!

2 Likes

Pure scaremongering BS to panic people.
This is the Millennium Bug all over again 19 years and bit on. Lots of rubbish in the media and then carry on as normal.

I love the people who stockpile. One of my neighbours has 40K of rock salt by his front door, as he heard we might, only might, have a cols snap like last year. I’ve had a bag of rock salt for years and there’s still about ½ of it left.

2 Likes

Using it a pinch at a time?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Not that much, but then I don’t grit half the road.

1 Like

Does this mean Twitter queen and her bunch of men might have to do work outside the RAFAC office lol . She could always do PR

1 Like

First off, you do come out with some strange references. Secondly, do you actually know the planning and work that went on to prevent what was a real possibility? It was a monumental, undertaking featuring global alliances and some areas were still genuinely affected - including the shut down of nuclear installations, I believe.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. If you don’t do the work and put the contingencies in place then the worst will happen.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s not a 1 year mobilisation, just a time period for mobilising troops for far shorter periods!

I agree with @MattB Mobilisation is always 6 months or a year as its very complicated and painful to do it for short defined periods as the system is not designed to extend during call up - so if you were called up for 2 weeks and then needed to extend to three weeks you would have to rtu (travel, kit etc), have post call up leave in some cases and then be called up again for the extra week… So call up for 6 months or a year and use the time as needed… good old JPA :slight_smile:

Just due diligence just in case I expect. Personally, I will only worry if emergency legislation goes through rounding up CFAVs - in which case the wheels would really have to have come off (it will never happen).

Although the irony of that happening after the whole commission change would have me chuckling when the boot is on the other foot.

2 Likes

Spoke to a reservist last night who was chuckling about this. Hes a logistics officer in RAFR. His day job is a logistics officer at Portsmouth. His contingency plan at work is to coordinate mobilised reservists. Ain’t no way hes being released for service - nor any of the 20 reservists who work for him!!!

1 Like

What an idiot. Everyone knows the jar marmite is better.

3 Likes

Nah, he will be re-deployed to Dover to sort out HGV logistics, the perfect person! :rofl:

A fate worse than death!

Mobilisation can be for almost any length of time - even for a single day.

i agree a length of time can be a day - the actual call up is 6 months or more as the process to follow in JPA etc, etc takes time - trust me I know about it

1 Like

Bit irrelevant for us RAFACers. We’re not in the RAF dontchano!!!

1 Like

Er, no. If Brexit proves “problematical” & reservists are called up, that means other RAF resources are likely to be brought into play = any liaison / activities linked to any provision by the RAF might have a hiccup!

Ahh! So no flying and gliding…

5 Likes