Red Arrows relocation to RAF Waddington

In this respect other alternatives are in the pipeline - Syerston will be assessed during 2023. Documentation here

https://airspacechange.caa.co.uk/documents/download/4560

Not too far from me so will be nice to see, but no word of what it means for the Central Gliding School.

Given the recent news and the ever diminishing size of the team, they’ll a- become the Red, and b- it wouldn’t exactly be the worst thing if cadets weren’t exposed to the “toxic culture”.

1 Like

And they are due to talk on “Trust in Teams” at the CAS2022 Leadership Conference. :joy::joy:

1 Like

Thank you for the update and link. Two thoughts cross my mind: if so little time will be used, why not overhead one of the Lincolnshire airfields; and was R313 really merited?

Another wry thought of the case for a “Lincolnshire International” Airport at Scampton when DSA (ex-RAF Finningley) is deemed to be “uneconomical”?

Speculation this morning in the press that the Red Arrows will be disbanded at the end of this season following the investigation ordered by CAS in to inappropriate behaviours by the team, thereby making the move to Waddington a moot point.

I’ve got to say that the writing does seem to be on the cards

• Inappropriate behaviours
  • Cost
  • Waddington not being ideal for Red Arrows with other priority airfield users
  • Hawk T1 only now being used by the RA, thereby creating a costly engineering task and scarcity of parts
  • Hawk T1 display feeling ‘stale’ with other nations having newer airframes capable of more dynamic displays.
  • The overseas ‘advert for the UK aviation industry’ role vanishing as we pretty much don’t produce any aircraft ourselves
  • Number of airshows reducing post Covid and the Shoreham Hunter accident.

If they don’t disband then at the very least there needs to be a significant rethink on what the team looks like and which aircraft they fly in future.

The press always speculate that the reds will be disbanded although to be fair there is a part of Whitehall & the RAF that has wanted for a while so they don’t have to put up with the hassle.

I can see the Reds being “stood down” for a season or two to enact change.

I must admit I do find them dull as a team & prefer the Blades as an aerobatic team who are more interesting & more varied routines.

Then why move to waddington in the first place? Wittering needs to have a flying unit under the convenent of its lease so why not put them there?

Appreciate it might be a bit dull & backwater for the pilots though.

Proximity to the Restricted Airspace over Scampton which, in theory, remains. This didn’t take in to account what the airfield develops as in future though.

The whole topic is a big talking point in Lincolnshire / Notts area.

1 Like

I agree that the Reds appear to ‘fly safe’ in relation to others (Frecce, Blades, Black Eagles etc.) but would they become more exciting if they were reequipped with some of the Tranche 1 Typhoons that are being dosposed of??

And, if Scampton was sold off, unlikely that the RA would still exist so what happens then?

Can’t help thinking that the clock is ticking down…

They’re doing a ME tour after display season this year, so I could see a pause in displaying going on as they regroup and get new pilots on board after clearing out the deck. The negative pr from losing them would be too much to bear on top of everything else that’s happened.

Interestingly the blades are all ex red arrow pilots anyway. Although drawing a sky Willy at one private event about ten years may show that their creativity isn’t so much more different :slightly_smiling_face:

Seen the Blades display very recently and it’s as if the shackles have come off…far more entertaining…

3 Likes

I like the Blades a lot. But I’d also vote for expanding the Phoon display.

1 Like

Scampton Airfield is shutting completely ~October ish the MATZ & ATZ are going completely. The RADAR service above is still going to be provided, but whether or not the reds will still use it for practice is another matter.

They will - There are no plans to withdraw the Restricted Area. One of the rationale for relocating to Waddington was the continued use of the airspace above Scampton to practice.

The Restricted Airspace is separate from the MATZ and ATZ

1 Like

Issue with a Typhoon display team would be the same that the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds have - the display is too fast for anything tight and they need huge long passes which would create long gaps where nothing happens.

I’d rather see them get some Tucanos back and have a really dynamic 5-ship display. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper, too.

Interestingly the regulations regarding the restriction only apply when the Aerodrome is open for use by the team. If the aerodrome is shut then it can’t be open for the team & a new navigation order will need be issued.

Just a thought - what’s based at RAF Machrihanish these days?

Might keep the pilots out of trouble…

Otherwise move them to Valley & have all the hawks in one place. They can practice over the Irish sea

1 Like

Closed in 2012, but is still an airport.

Why not have them at Cranwell? They’d at least be on hand for all the grad parades.

Nice thought but not many fixed references at sea which the team use to align up with, hence Bournemouth has a RN ship moored at a known location at sea for reference

1 Like

Or go back further and return to Kemble