Reach for the Skies (what could we be doing better)

(Photo from FOI linked below, so although marked OS, has been released by MOD into public domain)

Some info there regarding hours. My understanding from reading this whole FOI is that this ACPS is essentially costing nothing, because they are not adding any resources, they are instead reallocating resources that already exist?

But there is a lot to read though on there.

2 Likes

PDF Page 5, Para 2 Priorities. Our recommendation would be that 6 FTS continues to focus on increasing delivery of AEF flying for the 13—15-year-olds (recruitment);

Interesting that they seem to consider AEF as only for 13-15 year olds.

1 Like

Possibly because anyone older has arranged private lessons, given up on flying or left the corps?

3 Likes

Trying to build up the options so that ACPS is for the older cadets = a big player in keeping them in aged over 18.

Somewhere in that FOI it explicity says this.

There is, thanks! Quite a focus in concentrating on the military side based on future career routes - high percentage of intakes for RAF trg seem to be ex-cadets.

Yeah I get it reading further through,

• AEF for 13 - 15 year olds
  • “Flying Development Course” for 16-17 year olds
  • and ACPS, sorry “Solo Development Course” for 18+

It’s just interesting to me (although I suppose obvious) that it’s the first I’ve heard of a proposed progressive syllabus.

This sounds like a slightly more sensible / planned provision of training…

Simply get younger cadets up in the air… to grab their attention and inspiration. Literally Air EXPERIENCE Flights

Start “teaching” older cadets…

Progression to ACPS for older cadets

Use QFIs and service aircraft for the older cadets etc - but permit access to local flying clubs to service the AEF side of things…

This could mean distributing the ACPS across the different AEF centres… making access easier with reduced travel / accommodation / subsistence etc…

Local flying clubs would similarly reduce travel & expenses - and COULD even make it easier to snap up last minute availability…

2 Likes

Do the hours that cadets undertaking ACPS count towards a civil PPL and are RAF QFIs holding the civil flying instructor qualifications with the CAA?

Pretty sure @Cab confirmed that they won’t count towards PPI hours

why would something so sensible happen…?

I seem to recall that if you “just want to fly, you shouldn’t go elsewhere… RAFAC is to promote an interest in aviation AND the RAF”

1 Like

Case of exact words -

Promote an interest ≠ tangible transferable qualifications/experience.

It is provided as a taster not the full meal of training :slight_smile:

Within the FOI quoted, there was a quoted exemption that was going to be investigated with the CAA; can’t remember if the final answer has materialised yet.

It did make me “chuckle” at the response that Cab got for linking “interesting aviation” AND “the RAF” as though the two factors were inextricably linked and inseparable.

I’m sure he must appreciate the number of former cadets that have progressed to careers within all manner of fields related to aviation - civil & military, following their career, however short or long lived within the RAFAC.

But if access to AEF opportunities is going to continue to be restricted, while emphasising the potential STEM / Cyber aspects of the RAF, then HQAC might as well change the name of the organisation (AGAIN) to simply RAF Cadets… and drop the second Air…

2 Likes

I have been asked by keen cadets on our sqn about other RAFAC flying / gliding scholarships.

We are waiting for a new facility - an Astra Ground School (AGS) to come on line (for our wg, at RAF Wittering).

I believe that Silver Gliding Scholarship selection process (SGS) will be different once the AGS is ready. As far as I’m aware, current application process is paused.

The route will be Blue Wings > Bronze Wings (with AGS - 2 day cse?) > paper sift for preference order > awarded a space.

I understand that AGS will be very involved for both ACPS & SGS.

Whilts it’s a structured route (how many changes I have seen so far in the last decade?), there will undoubtedly by a resource limit for how many cadets can attend AGS Bronze & onwards (ACPS considerations). The AEFs / VGS still still not be able to offer enough slots for all cadets, & especially those who won’t be able to attend AGS (or who are not selected after Bronze, etc).

As such, separate to any consideration for using CAA ATOs for ACPS, we still need to focus on getting approval for flights in non-Service aircraft.

Possibly an older interpretation however when I was a cadet in the early 2000’s, the idea was starting to be brought in then. That “AEF targeted” 13-15 year olds for 2 unofficial reasons

1. In line with typical age of 1st Class/Leading Cadet which the primary subjects focused on the syllabus were airmanship related
  2. Most AEF operate mid-week only for RAFAC (ATC back then) and the likelihood is most 13-15 year olds aren’t taking exams such as GCSE’s or A-Levels so doesn’t affect taking them out for a day as much.

The idea was then between 15-17 your concentration would be on gliding with VGS and obtaining your gliding scholarship before if you were lucky enough going back to flying through either a bursary or Tayside etc.

2 Likes