Rank transfer CCF to ATC (Excluding L/Cpl)

I’ve recently been promoted to Cpl at ccf and have heard before that rank is indeed transferable so before i ask my sqaudron staff and they think im pretentiious just trying to get promoted fast (which is fair) i wanted to check with people on the forum.

It’s unclear what you mean here :

• Are you in both the ATC and CCF concurrently? If so then this is only possible with the agreement of both OCs, there should be liaison between the two in terms of your promotion and therefore the situation should not arise where you have two differing ranks.

• Are you wishing to leave CCF and join an ATC unit? If so there is no automatic right to carry rank, however it does no harm to plead your case with the OC of the ATC unit.

2 Likes

Not really correct. Your ATC Sqn staff, particularly OC, may decide to “honour” or “recognise” your CCF promotion if they think you’re worthy. But they don’t have to.

Different standards and criteria, different vacancies, different expectations.

I know of one cadet who is FS at CCF but Cpl at their ATC squadron so I don’t think this is the case

1 Like

Congratulations, by the way!

We’re not looking to rain on your parade.

I would suggest speaking with ATC OC to tell them that you’ve been promoted to Cpl at CCF, and you would like to be considered for promotion so is there anything they want from you.

No - The OCs should be in agreement as to their membership - see below from ACP20 (my bold). We have several cadets like this in my wing and any promotions must be agreed by both the ATC and CCF OC - It is not for the cadet to tell each OC they have been promoted.

This is what ACP20 has to say :

1. Membership of other organisations and cadet forces. Cadets are permitted to be members of more than one organisation at the same time (eg ATC, ACF, SCC, RMC, CCF(A, RN, RM or RAF) or University Air Squadron). Cadets cannot be members of more than one ATC sqn at the same time. However, cadets can hold concurrent dual membership of an ATC Sqn and a CCF (RAF) section. Cadets may also serve in a supplementary capacity on a Voluntary Gliding Squadron (VGS) at the same time as being members of an ATC squadron or CCF contingent. Membership of more than one organisation is only allowed where the commanding officers of the units are aware, agree and that this is not at the expense of young people on a waiting list.
  1. Transfer from another cadet force. Cadets may transfer to the ATC from another cadet force with the agreement of the appropriate Sqn CO. The Sqn CO is to assess the cadet’s capabilities, taking into account age, bearing, experience and training in the other cadet force and judge at which stage of training it will be appropriate for the cadet to begin in the ATC. Cadets transferring from the CCF(RAF) should be transferred on Bader and given full credit for passing Part 1 (First Class) and/or Part 2 (Leading Cadet) qualifications. Wg HQ is to be notified of the details so that the requisite classification may be authorised.
  1. Transfer of cadets between air cadet units A cadet is to be encouraged to transfer to another squadron (or to a CCF(RAF) Section) if there is any change of residence, school or employment or the squadron is disbanded. The cadet is also to be assisted if wishing to transfer for any other good reason. If a cadet is transferred to another unit, consent forms must be transferred to the new unit.

That says nothing about ranks and agreeing promotions. Only an OCs’ agreement over dual membership.

2 Likes

Guess that’s a local made up thing, nothing in the regs I’m aware of.

I saw the cadet I mentioned above as a staff cadet on VGS and had a little fun winding them up about wearing FS tapes when the days cadets were ATC :rofl:

It’s the small pleasures😂

2 Likes

Not where we are - We ensure the cadets entire ‘career’ is aligned.

this reminds me of my FS who is in the exact same situation

1 Like

That’s nice, but not relevant.

OP needs to discuss preferences and procedures with their own CoC, not yours.

Please try to avoid confusing people by misrepresenting local rules as national requirements, particularly when quoting national policy in attempt to appear more legitimate.

That policy clearly shows your initial assertion to be divergent from the policy, and you’re now claiming that the national policy you used to support ypur original argument doesn’t apply to you?

That’s a lot for someone to unpick, perhaps you could take more care in how you phrase things?

3 Likes

Please try to avoid being critical of other’s posts without foundation. There is no attempt to legitimise my post. The black and white says that OCs will agree as to the cadets dual service. If your units see that as simply being an agreement to them joining, not being in agreement as to their ongoing membership then that is itself a local interpretation.

You made a statement, you posted policy to support (legitimise) that statement, policy doesn’t say what you stated, then you claim that policy doesn’t apply to you anyway.

Membership =/= rank.

If you want to discuss further, feel free to take it to DM so we don’t derail the thread further, because regardless of interpretations, OP should confirm the situation locally.

Rank transfer is not automatic & doesn’t have to be recognised between different ATC Sqns let alone different services.

As long as both OCs are aware & agree that that’s the minimum although this a bit of a mute issue as if one CO disagrees they only have influence over their own service & since you need a Regional commandants authority to dismiss then it all liklyhood they are just rubber stamping as a CO to say yes they are aware. Any further than that would be individuals over complicating.

The tricky bit comes when you have multiple cadets dual-service as the promotion structure can muck you around a bit.

For the OP, simplest thing is check Sqn requirements for promotion & if you meet the local requirements then speak to the CO & confirm what their thoughts are. If you can get a print out from Westminster if you experience & quarts then that would be a bonus.

One thing that’s not been mentioned here is that CCF service ends at the end of school - 18+ - so promotions tend to be more rapid. Also, if promotions are into a vacancy (which they should be) then there could well be a vacancy for, say, a flight NCO in their CCF which would reasonably be filled by a 16yo where the local ATC sqn would not have a vacancy in the same rank or would not expect someone that young to be a Cpl because they have much older cadets in the pool for promotion.

So, it shouldn’t be considered unusual for a CCF cadet to hold a higher rank than they would in the ATC at the same age. How this is managed between the CCF and ATC units is indeed a question of liaison between the respective OCs. I would actually oppose any local policy of alignment of rank, as it would disadvantage a cadet who was in both organisations in that it would tend to hold down their rank unfairly compared to a cadet who was only in the CCF - when actually they would probably be a better candidate for promotion…

4 Likes

There was a guy in my ATC Squadron about 10 years ago who was also in the CCF(RAF). He was a Sgt in the CCF and immediately promoted to Cpl when he joined us.

Was an odd sight to see someone handed their first class badge, leading badge and Cpl rank slides in one go on their first night.

Obviously in hindsight it made sense since they’d been an NCO for multiple years, but definitely got the Squadron’s Cadet NCO team uneasy.

Did he not have first class and leading from his time in the CCF?

Many CCF don’t hand out the badges though.

I’m sure he did but obviously wouldn’t be wearing his CCF brassard at our ATC Squadron so he was issued a set of those badges for a new brassard.

Don’t know why he was given a first class badge since it was immediately superseded but :woman_shrugging:t2:

Ah yes, fair point about the new brassard!