RAFVR new embroidered green rank slides

Just to raise this again, sorry, I’ve just purchased some of these for my grow bag and MTP after I got collared by the station PMC for not wearing guilt pin badges on my flying suit. After explaining that 90% of AEF pilots are VRT and most are ex forces plus the FOD issue he was happy , we’ll sort of.

Here is what I got today. Apologies for the pink ironing board cover.

“Guilt Pins”… What a wonderful Freudian typo :slight_smile:

Nice rank slides and even nicer ironing board, but what or who is a Station PMC?

What happens in the ‘High Speed Zone’ of your ironing board? :slight_smile:

Station President of the Mess Committee who happens to be a Wing Commander.

Lol. I wondered when someone would pick up on that.

Ah, the person normally referred to as ‘The PMC’.

Sorry, I must try to work on the sarcasm bit!

Ah, the person normally referred to as ‘The PMC’.

Sorry, I must try to work on the sarcasm bit![/quote]

Agreed.You should try a little harder.

It was obvious what i meant or were you having a senior moment?

…It’s just that pedantry is considered an art form here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably Scrounger, it happens! You will get there one day and part of the problem is also having to go for a pee every half hour regardless of the amount of beer you have consumed!

However, as wdi says, pedantry is the thing and credibility is also pretty important. And yes it is pedantic, but I f you were in an officers’ mess and referred to the individual charged by 'Arry with supervising the running of that fine facility on behalf of the other officers (a facility that many of us enjoy) as ‘the Stn PMC’, many of the fully paid up Regular members of said facility would probably not bat an eyelid, but it could possibly reinforce their opinions that as RAF officers, we don’t really know what we’re doing re the RAF officer bit. Sorry, pedantry continues, I have never heard the PMC referred to by officers as anything other than the PMC, it’s obvious who he or she is.

I still think the rank slides are good (not sure about the ironing board though really if I’m honest) and we should all be mandated to have embroidered ones for working dress - officers that is of course - as for starters it would eliminate the discussions about whether black titles are acceptable on combats!

I take your comments on board and as I too am a fully paid up member of an officers mess I am aware of the correct protocols and titles.

Ive been in the VRT for the last 18 years and in the corps in general for 24. We were wearing blacked out ATC cap badges back in the late 80’s on night exercises and blackened out VRT pins on combats since the 90’s with nothing said from anyone, and that includes on courses at Cranwell. I think the embroidered VRT badges are the way forward for MTP and flying clothing. Why not? They identify us as not being regulars and that we are proud of the organisation we are a part of.

The only downside to the embroidered VRT rank slides is cost. The set above cost £8.50. Now considering I’d need about 6 sets it could get expensive. I’m sure they’d be cheaper if bought in bulk. Putting a bit of black paint on a pin badge is far cheaper but defeats the object of it distinguishing us from regular serving folk.

I wonder why on earth this has taken such a long time to be produced, let alone even be formally considered for wear in the VRT?

I saw RAuxAF and RAFVR officers occasionally wearing woven gold branch-titles on composite rank braid twenty years ago. Granted, the majority just wore metal titles in the ‘VRT style’, and did so up until about 10yrs ago, when the wearing of 'A’s was pulled from all uniforms except No1s, but I’m certain that black-thread woven titles (on slides and composite rank-braid) have been on the go since the mid-70s.

Having read years ago the full background to the original VRT badge design and intention (must relocate that and post it here), there is still a real puzzle as to why an approved woven version has taken over 40 years to appear.

wilf_san

I’d be interested to hear the reason behind the VRT badge if you can find it.

The cost shouldn’t be an issue really. If you look on Rip Off Direct, VR(T) pins are £4.75 and rank slides £3.75, so nothing in it overall. The bonus is that once mandated, nobody can then argue about whether they meet dress regs or not!

Agreed

Where did you actually buy those? I quite fancy a set for MTP…

There’s a lot more to it than many are aware. Once I relocate the information, I’ll post it as part of my long term intention to write-up a proper history of the RAFVR, including the VRT.

wilf_san

Thanks Scrounger
They actually look really good, but the price looks as though it’s for only one slide! Therefore ignore my previous comment about there being nothing in it? Double the price then!

No you get a pair for £8