RAFVR new embroidered green rank slides

At Cosford this weekend I was pleasantly surprised to see that the UAS have been issued with new rank slides for their no3s.

The slides are green, with a wide, white officer cadet stripe in the middle, “University Air Squadron” embroidered above and below the stripe, and most interestingly, a gold embroidered “VR” in the middle of the white stripe.

Surely, if our parent branch has allowed gold embroidered VR identifiers we should be next? It would make much more sense in no3 or in flying suits. And look a lot better than the black VRT under the braid some people have. (I have seen the trial Flt Lt version and it looks very good.)

Thoughts?

(I should note that I have always worn VR(T) pins in No3, and do not come from the school that thinks we should just not bother with VRTs at all.)

You know that this will be giving some on here the vapours. The very thought of embroidered VRT identifiers? Gadzooks!

About time I say, and the same for SNCO shouldn’t be far behind. Maybe in a decade or so then.

[quote=“papa november” post=17684]You know that this will be giving some on here the vapours. The very thought of embroidered VRT identifiers? Gadzooks!

About time I say, and the same for SNCO shouldn’t be far behind. Maybe in a decade or so then.[/quote]

Unless the NCOs go VR(T) as well. Perhaps that would be a good time to look at the whole thing?

It would make far too much sense…

The pins are fine on No 1 (as they were intended); They work okay on No 2; But I’m sick of taking off my rifle to find the sling catching on those damned pins in No 3.

Of course there is an argument which says that SNCOs shouldn’t be wearing gilt pins on No 1 at all and should in fact have embroidered badges.

[quote=“wdimagineer2b” post=17696]
Of course there is an argument which says that SNCOs shouldn’t be wearing gilt pins on No 1 at all and should in fact have embroidered badges.[/quote]

Not a problem. Provided HQAC fork out to get them embroidered properly, and stopping Ripoff Direct et al selling gash copies, but then that hurdle can be crossed if or when the SNCO cadre are brought into the VR(T) and the issue of supplying no1 dress to all VR(T) rears its ugly head…

Abit off topic but Baldrick which team were you?

Devon & Somerset. I run it despite having left the wing last year.

Why should it?
There’s no reason that becoming VR(T) should change our scaling.

[quote=“wdimagineer2b” post=17701][quote=“mtbcol” post=17697]…if or when the SNCO cadre are brought into the VR(T) and the issue of supplying no1 dress to all VR(T) rears its ugly head…[/quote]Why should it?
There’s no reason that becoming VR(T) should change our scaling.[/quote]
Back to basics though: Why are VR(T) scaled for No1SD anyway?

[quote=“incubus” post=17702][quote=“wdimagineer2b” post=17701][quote=“mtbcol” post=17697]…if or when the SNCO cadre are brought into the VR(T) and the issue of supplying no1 dress to all VR(T) rears its ugly head…[/quote]Why should it?
There’s no reason that becoming VR(T) should change our scaling.[/quote]
Back to basics though: Why are VR(T) scaled for No1SD anyway?[/quote]

Wouldn’t this be a better point for the NCO VRT thread?

Can’t help but think that OG slides with embroidered VR were meant for flying suits, re: FOD issue and have just ended up on combats.

The same issues arise in both really.

The same issues arise in both really.[/quote]Less important for combats, but still worthwhile if authorised nonetheless. I’ve pinged a VRT pin off of my rank slide taking webbing off before.

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before I lose one off of No 2 dress to my car seatbelt as well.

I got one caught in a camo net on the back of a Landrover once… Caused me to fall and tore right out and took off a button.
Pins are a pain in the backside when they want to be.

The same issues arise in both really.[/quote]Less important for combats, but still worthwhile if authorised nonetheless. I’ve pinged a VRT pin off of my rank slide taking webbing off before.

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before I lose one off of No 2 dress to my car seatbelt as well.[/quote]

Beat you to it - lost several on GPJ and Jumper from seatbelts - both Split pins and Butterfly clips. One thing that embroidered pins would solve is some of the pointless debates on where the pin goes on Pilot Officer Tabs.

I’ve only ever worn VRT pins on No2’s, never worn No.1’s since I’ve been in the Corps and have always worn embroidered ‘VRT’ on OG and DPM rank slides whilst in No.3’s.

I’m such a naughty boy. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Baldrick wrote:
At Cosford this weekend I was pleasantly surprised to see that the UAS have been issued with new rank slides for their no3s.

The slides are green, with a wide, white officer cadet stripe in the middle, “University Air Squadron” embroidered above and below the stripe, and most interestingly, a gold embroidered “VR” in the middle of the white stripe.[/quote]

Good to see this has finally happened - it has been the duty rumour that UAS will be “readopting” VR distinguishing badges.

It will be interesting to see how this translates to No.1 & No.2 SD …No.1’s should have the “old school” VR distinguishing badges (like our VRT ones) for RAFVR(UAS) Acting Plt Offs; whereas VR Officer Cadets should wear the old OR-style VR cloth badges (like RAuxAF Airmen still do) below the eagle on their No.1s

Presumably No.2’s will be either similar to ours (like the RAFVR(GD) rank slides used to be), or a blue version of the No.3/14 rank slides you saw at Cosford…

Pictures would be good!

…anyone? …anyone? …Bueller? …Bueller?

Cheers
BTI

[quote=“bti” post=17732][quote]Baldrick wrote:

The slides are green, with a wide, white officer cadet stripe in the middle, “University Air Squadron” embroidered above and below the stripe, and most interestingly, a gold embroidered “VR” in the middle of the white stripe.[/quote]

Good to see this has finally happened - it has been the duty rumour that UAS will be “readopting” VR distinguishing badges.

It will be interesting to see how this translates to No.1 & No.2 SD …No.1’s should have the “old school” VR distinguishing badges (like our VRT ones) for RAFVR(UAS) Acting Plt Offs; whereas VR Officer Cadets should wear the old OR-style VR cloth badges (like RAuxAF Airmen still do) below the eagle on their No.1s

Presumably No.2’s will be either similar to ours (like the RAFVR(GD) rank slides used to be), or a blue version of the No.3/14 rank slides you saw at Cosford…

Pictures would be good!

…anyone? …anyone? …Bueller? …Bueller?

Cheers
BTI[/quote]

I’d think that just a plain (garment-matching) backing with a gold embroidered VRT underneath the rank would look the best… possibly in the form of the large, trapezoidal rank slides (similar to the RAF Regiment ones).

And scrap the silly triangle VR over T shape. VR(T) would be just as effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, probably best on one line