RAFAC Training Academy

Please post their details… I would happily swap a couple!

1 Like

Maybe if we had a Classification system that held any relevance people might be more keen to volunteer to teach it? :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Dont disagree.
My sentiment remains however.

So someone is a “moocher” because they come and help on the day (without which you wouldn’t be able to run the event) but because of other commitments are unable to also do the admin?

The organisation needs to have a range of volunteers. Some who prefer to teach the other adults, a majority who teach the cadets, some who prefer hands on work with the kids and others who like sitting on the office doing admin. Almost certainly many people will fit into one or other of these roles, but even if someone can only do one of them that’s great, they are contributing to the organisation.

Unfortunately we’re so short of staff that we can’t operate this system well and so can end up losing people who feel that what they can offer isn’t valued because they don’t also do what others do.

Now someone who never takes part in admin, shows up for a coffee and to watch the cadets, and isn’t even needed for ratios is a moocher.

6 Likes

As a genuine observation, I don’t think any of the Wg D of E officers I know (of which I personally know a decent proportion of the ones in the Corps) have ML - but almost all of them organise Wg-level Gold expeds - they totally rely on people to “mooch” off their admin :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Plenty of WATTO’s who can only lead trekking and need to rely on others for paddling, climbing or MTB.

1 Like

Incorrect.

They are a moocher if this is all they do.

If they also support events with admin they are not a moocher.

This is evident from what I wrote.

A moocher is…

1. A person who drinks tea and does nothing.
    OR
  2. A person who only ever attends events and never helps plan them or take on admin burden.

Yes but I am.assuming WATTOS also plan events.

If they’re helping run them or are necessary for ratios I don’t think they’re mooching. They’re still giving up their time.

Like everyone else has said every CFAV has a limit on what they can give. Why knock someone if they don’t want to or can’t do the paperwork too? Doesn’t bother me.

3 Likes

we would have very few events if all the CFAVs who fell into this category left the Corps

1 Like

I don’t think this person is necessarily a moocher. I’m certainly very grateful for my CFAV who is great when we take the cadets out but due to their day job simply doesn’t have time to do admin. Without her the cadets wouldn’t get half of the opportunities they get.

3 Likes

What if you have no-one doing the admin at all.

Think of it from that perspective.

That’s why I said in my first post

different people have different skills

all of the people I know who love doing admin have absolutely no interest at all in getting any quals

6 Likes

What if you have no-one showing up to help out at all?

Think of it from that perspective.

5 Likes

Equally bad.
Obviously.

My perspective is that if I’m planning an event, what I need is a dozen staff to turn up on the day to help me run it. I don’t need a dozen “planners” because I’ve got that covered.

The idea that someone who gives up their time to attend events to actually make them happen is a “moocher” is the maddest thing I’ve heard today.

8 Likes

You’re all being obtuse.
But you all know that.

Ita fine. I’m used to it on here now.

Nobody is being obtuse… It’s just that we all disagree with you on this one.

1 Like

THIS

Does not equate to THIS

Umm…

Ergo…

“Did you help plan this event? No? You’re only turning up to do the much-needed leg work? You’re a moocher!”

2 Likes