RAFAC ITV

80 is perhaps a bit OTT - average is maybe more like 50, can be done in 35 if the pilot is above average ability - but yes, that is entirely correct.

is that really the case?

I can only talk on Vigilant experience, but my 8 hours GS was very much how to fly the aircraft rather than how to fly a circuit.
although the outcome is only flying a circuit there is nothing imo from the GS training that wouldn’t permit a 10-20minute “jolly” outside of the circuit in the local area to make a 30 minute local flight
(save perhaps joining the circuit practice)

seems there is a big difference with the Viking if it is just a case if launch, fly the circuit with increasing levels of control taken by the student.

(i appreciate time in the air is limited in a Viking, but more I would expect more than just the circuit is covered…?)

I remember when I went gliding in the Vikings all those years ago those on GS doing launch failures and recoveries I would be very surprised if there is a big a gulf as you suggest between Civilian and RAFAC solo standards. I was given the opportunity to deal with stalls and thermalling without being lucky enough to get chosen for a GS.

As risk averse as I understand the organisation now is I can’t imagine the attitude being “Here’s how to do a circuit young Johnny I’m sure if anything odd happens you’ll figure it out!”

The main RAFAC website suggests around 40 launches to reach solo standard on Viking Gliding and as my child seems to have caught the bug I did I have been looking at BGA clubs to join for him (and maybe me :slight_smile:) and whilst Lasham quote the 80-120 lauches most of the other clubs websites that I checked including Bristol and Lancashire quote 50 - 100 so the lower end is pretty much inline.

I am sure someone who knows much more about the PTS now could provide more insight but solo is one thing, the more advanced, beyond safety stuff, at BGA clubs appears to come as you progress to Bronze and cross country endorsements

RAFAC cadets are selected for gliding scholarships; BGA clubs will take anyone who can pay. That perhaps explains the different number of launches to solo. One of my cadets was solo in something like 35 launches at a BGA club.

1 Like

Took me 39 launches when I was a Cadet way back when to go Solo #Memories

1 Like