RAFAC ITV

TBH I do not see a problem with this. I feel cadets should get some recognition for what they achieve outside the ATC. I’ve got and had cadets with musician badges but never been near a cadet band. They been asked but too busy with a variety of orchestras, bands and ensembles.
This lad obviously has some well off relatives, but if flying is his passion money well spent and given the box ticking exercise FS are in the ATC, could well have never got near one.
I just hope the ATC don’t try and make out they’ve had anything to do with it.

1 Like

A fair and reasonable comparison.

Would disagree, it’s not fair to compare a badge that is awarded for being in specifically Cadet bands, with a badge designed specifically for flying solo outside of the organisation.

It’s a badge awarded for doing something outside of cadets.

Blue is very much aimed at those not in a cadet band. They just haven’t strapped a “C” on it. Bronze and above IS for cadet bands.

It is one of the criteria, but you can get the higher ones through the public music exams.

Gold is the only music badge limited to cadet activities. Blue can be obtained by holding grade 3, bronze for grade 5 and silver for grade 8.

ACTO 34 was amended yesterday to clarify this issue and now states:
“13. Cadets who have completed a single solo sortie through self-funded tuition or
scholarship provided by external organisation may apply and be considered for issue of RAFAC
Civilian © Wings. 2FTS SO2 CAPE will consider each case on its merits. Applications are to
be made to HQ 2FTS via the appropriate Regional Aviation Officer (RAvnO) and/or Wing
Aviation Officer (WAvnO). Evidence of a solo sortie will be required (log book/certificate/licence, etc).”

6 Likes

Aha, last I saw was bronze for Wing, silver for Region, without additional routes noted.

Thanks!

This is good news and provides parity across the powered and gliding worlds

Excellent

We had a couple of cadets go gliding solo at a local club aged 14, at the height of the pause. Funnily enough, the organisation didn’t want to publicise it and sent their C wings in the post.

going further off topic but what is being discussed around the music badges, the same can be said about DofE

some Cadets complete these in schools and are still entitled to wear the badge even though they covered it before joining or completed the tick boxes without any Cadet influence

5 Likes

And/or CCF Aviation Officer?

/sigh/

2 Likes

Thinking further, we now have another anomaly. Cadets flying a civilian glider solo gain and wear the more prominent, and some may argue, more ‘prestigious’ wings, however those attaining the same standard on the RAFAC glider fleet wear PTS Silver Wings.

Should we have one badge to recognise solo standard no matter what the route ?

Maaaaaaaaajorly off topic.

Do you want my job or something? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Do you not?

Not sure I could master the lurk, lurk, BAM thing you’ve got going on…

1 Like

But it’s not the same standard. To go civilian solo, you must first complete the whole BGA syllabus, including thermalling, spins and stalls etc. Resulting in about 80 launches before solo.
RAFAC gliding just teaches you to fly a simple circuit before solo.

1 Like

That’s good knowledge - thanks for the information