RAFAC civilian endorsed PPL

Hiya,

Not of age yet, just querying, is tayside still the only ‘approved’ RAFAC ppl site for the ‘coveted’ gold wings?

Merry Christmas

FJM

Yep. And characters.

3 Likes

This has to be one of the silliest badge criteria in to corps. A cadet that does a license at any other flying club, say Derby, can only get C Wings, but the exact same license at Tayside they get Gold. Tayside just have a contract to deliver scholarships it don’t mean they’re a better standard.

14 Likes

It’s always been the mindset and always will. Empire protecting

As you say, plenty of civilian clubs. Those clubs have full time flight instructors whose full time job it is is to teach people to fly these light aircraft. Far far far too dangerous to let our cadets fly with them.

But a retired RAF pilot who last flew a frontline type in 1998 before joining Virgin and now doing one landing a month on the 787, if they’re lucky, jumping into a Grob every few weekends for a full sequence of Aeros with cadets? Yeah that’s cool.

3 Likes

Flying a front line type compared to a Grob isn’t I’m afraid relevant. Commercial pilots I know in their spare time are flying instructors, one a CAA certified aerobatics instructor and one a CAA mandated multi-engined and instrument rating examiner. Two others hold both CPL and engineering licences. One is a qualified pilot for sky divers.

It’s not what you did but what you do now is the point, just because you may fly 777s or whatever doesn’t mean to say they are not qualified to fly the Grob. And those who fly the Grob will have to get past the CFS ‘trappers’ as well.

1 Like

And, amusingly, your incredibly highly qualified friends would not be allowed to fly cadets straight and level in a PA28.

It’s amazing that when they go abroad cadets are allowed to fly on anything but a Voyager, how can they possibly trust the BA/Virgin pilots to be safe having not had the nod from CFS?

4 Likes

I think the ACPS has been updated regarding badges so you only get a Silver Brevet for going solo on your scholarship.

To get gold wings you basically need to fly cadets at a VGS.

1 Like

Or get a PPL from Tayside

What is the naffing point in blue, bronze, silver, gold for flying and glidung in this org.

Ffs.
There is so little progression available that its pointless.

Just make it one badge for all aviation.
If a cadet goes on any flight in any aircraft, gice them the bdge. Its probably the first and last time they will.

2 Likes

Wasn’t that the RAF wings, with blue wreath and ‘g’ in middle that replaced the old gliding instructor wings?
RAFNO13-2
(Credit Windsor medals)

Yeah that’s them!

Gold wings are (I believe) achievable via 2 routes:
The old gold G wings course
A recognised PPL (only recognised provider so far is Tayside)

quote=“Farmerdan, post:4, topic:11117”]
Taken from the IBN
[/quote]

So looking at the post in the IBN Gold Wings are for AGT or PPL from approved provider. (Wasn’t aware re the PPL option)

However does the PPL need to be a 2FTS approved course (as in activity SMS etc) or can a cadet pay tayside for the PPL off their own back & complete as a private non-RAFAC person?

If private PPL courses only get you C wings, including if it’s with Tayside, the PPL route for gold is only a hypothetical which is a little disappointing.

1 Like

What SMS activity would that be then? RAFAC doesn’t offer PPLs

Exactly this and a couple of cadets here have Gold off just this route when their parents paid for more at Tayside the summer after their ACPS, but another cadet who did the same at the local club field only has C wings not for holding a PPL but cause they flew solo as part of the training - Crazy!

1 Like

Is £220 p/h on the aquila good VFM?

I know we’re charging £205 p/h for a 2-seater (inc. Landing fees) and £230 for a 4-seater

Either way, i hope someone at 2FTS is getting a nice backhander from Tayside.

Any notion of a progression with flying in the air cadets is a complete joke. It’s simply not possible these days. The PTS isn’t fit for purpose.

7 Likes

It is possible though. Trust external providers with the sufficient qualifications🤔

3 Likes

Hey Wait, I’m a Cdt Cpl and I unfortunately don’t know much about how the aviation badges work in ATC (with the intention of possibly going for a private PPL), so if I were to do this would I only be entitled for the c wings (as a LASAR cadet btw)?

Yes, you can get the C wings from your first solo, but its still only the C wings even if you complete your PPL.

(Unless you travel to Tayside (Dundee) for all of your lessons.)

1 Like

Now heres a question…

For ALL the lessons…
Or just the skill test?

3 Likes

interesting…