RAF Side Caps. Worth it?

I’ve not tried that yet. I’ll have a crack at it next time.
I’m not 100% sure how you’re meant to get it to sit still though?

[/quote]

I’ve checked, there’s no mention of ferrets in AP1358C…

Some questions for those who own one (and wear it):-

1- Given that it is generally worn tilted over to 1 side and not on top like an SD - do you get a smaller size to take this into account? If so how much?

2- Who is the best Vendor (Lowest Cost vs Best Quality) of these things (yes G&H do sell them but I don’t have that much blunt lying around) - the version I saw in Snaiths at Cranwell seemed ‘taller’ than others (I’ve seen being worn) and thus I didn’t like it. This may sound daft, but are they of a regulation size? I’ve read of Station Tailors ‘knocking them up’, so thought that there may be some differences which explain the ‘apparent’ difference I have.

Variety is the spice of life.

[quote=“noah claypole” post=19158]Some questions for those who own one (and wear it):-

1- Given that it is generally worn tilted over to 1 side and not on top like an SD - do you get a smaller size to take this into account? If so how much?

2- Who is the best Vendor (Lowest Cost vs Best Quality) of these things (yes G&H do sell them but I don’t have that much blunt lying around) - the version I saw in Snaiths at Cranwell seemed ‘taller’ than others (I’ve seen being worn) and thus I didn’t like it. This may sound daft, but are they of a regulation size? I’ve read of Station Tailors ‘knocking them up’, so thought that there may be some differences which explain the ‘apparent’ difference I have.[/quote]

You get the same size as will fit your SD Cap, the ratios are worked out in that way. So mine is a 59 like my SD Cap and Beret.

Mine came from Brize and I love it. I think Brize may be selling someone else’s but don’t know if they are Snaith’s or some other company. I can also PM you the details of the Tailoress at St Mawgan who make them from scratch, hers are also excellent and she will make them with embroidered names in the headband and whatever lining you chose. I bought one for my sister which had a pretty pink lining. (Which the ingrate has never worn. :mad: ) I’ve seen some with MTP/DPM linings and one with a fabric map lining.
Only downside to hers is that she uses the no1 Jacket upper pocket buttons on the front, which are too big. They should have special side cap buttons, but those can be found on ebay, mine are brass.

Hope that helps.

Surely, melange is the spice of life…

Snigger :woohoo: :whistle: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

[quote=“Baldrick” post=19162][quote=“noah claypole” post=19158]Some questions for those who own one (and wear it):-

2- Who is the best Vendor (Lowest Cost vs Best Quality) of these things (yes G&H do sell them but I don’t have that much blunt lying around) - the version I saw in Snaiths at Cranwell seemed ‘taller’ than others (I’ve seen being worn) and thus I didn’t like it. This may sound daft, but are they of a regulation size? I’ve read of Station Tailors ‘knocking them up’, so thought that there may be some differences which explain the ‘apparent’ difference I have.[/quote]

You get the same size as will fit your SD Cap, the ratios are worked out in that way. So mine is a 59 like my SD Cap and Beret.

Mine came from Brize and I love it. I think Brize may be selling someone else’s but don’t know if they are Snaith’s or some other company. I can also PM you the details of the Tailoress at St Mawgan who make them from scratch, hers are also excellent and she will make them with embroidered names in the headband and whatever lining you chose. I bought one for my sister which had a pretty pink lining. (Which the ingrate has never worn. :mad: ) I’ve seen some with MTP/DPM linings and one with a fabric map lining.
Only downside to hers is that she uses the no1 Jacket upper pocket buttons on the front, which are too big. They should have special side cap buttons, but those can be found on ebay, mine are brass.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

If you could please PM me the Tailor’s details from St Mawgan, that would be a great help.

Forgive me for dredging up such an ancient post; but has anyone got a reference to how the side cap should be worn; In the latest dress regs on sharepoint I only see pictures of berets and caps…

Am about to disgust half the fourmites by purchasing my first side cap and want to wear it as jauntily as possible!

If you read the text (0125b) rather than just looking at the pictures you’ll find what you are looking for, if not what you actually need :wink:

Thank you - that answers the question nicely… I must have given it what my s/o describes as a “man look” first time!

I love my side cap. Remember when wearing it, a hat isn’t a hat unless it’s worn at a jaunty angle!

1 Like