RAF Side Caps. Worth it?

And locked pending cleanup.

Unlocked.

Keep it civil please!

Uniform is a contradiction of terms in the Army anyway and the comment used to be that if two officers (from the cavalry probably) were at breakfast similarly dressed, one had to go and change. I’m told that the introduction of CS95 was supposed to have replaced the array of uniform known by the Pongos as ‘Barrack Dress’ but I think this attire is gradually making a come back in some Corps and Regts as COs try to salvage bits of their Regimental Identities from the Defence savings bin. Luckily and indeed fortunately, for the UK taxpayer, the RAF doesn’t have a similar fetish for different styles of jumpers (apart from v or crew neck - all blue though), bright colured trousers or other general abuses of the term ‘uniform’, although I stand by for comments on No2s being our ‘Barrack Dress’!

Although the Field Service Cap was and still is used by the Army, it’s often seen as a quintessentially RAF piece of kit and yes, it can look pretty stupid if worn incorrectly. But then again, how many ‘aircraft carrier or landing pad’ berets have you seen and nobody is beefing about that?

In a perhaps vain attempt to bring this back on topic. The OP did ask the question of whether they are ‘worth it’.

‘It’ in this context could refer to the problems already listed. E.g. The fact they don’t cover your bald patch, that some people don’t like the look of them and that they are the headgear of choice of the brave boys in blue from Tracey Island.

Forage caps/Side Caps/Field Service Caps/chip bags are not for everyone. You need a certain amount of thick skin to endure the banter that results, and the endless cries of ‘it’s not meant to be worn on the side of your head’ (despite that clearly being how the good book says to wear it)

The final factor is cost. They aren’t as cheap as a new beret, mine from Brize cost me £50 for an officer’s one. It is however, lovely. Lovely material, soft squishy feel and the right size buttons.

I bought one for my sister, an SNCO, from St Mawgan, similar price, but the nice tailor there embroidered her name in the headband and can put in any lining you wish. Hers is pretty pink. I’ve seen camo and silk maps on the inside. I can provide her details by PM, (The tailor’s not my sister’s.)

The only downside to those is the button size. They used the pocket buttons of No1 SD, which are too big. So you may have to source those on ebay. Mine are brass.

[quote=“Baldrick” post=14149]and can put in any lining you wish. Hers is pretty pink. I’ve seen camo and silk maps on the inside.[/quote]But surely it has to be Newsprint!

I have a foreage cap. I never ever wear it, so no it wasn’t worth the money I paid for it.

We have one in a drawer a the squadron, left by a previous member of staff. I use it occasionally when I want to do an impression of Mussolini (and I don’t have a convenient lamppost) so as such it may be considered worth it :wink:

I lost one at St Mawgan in 1999. Hat that is, not my sister.

Bought my first one in 1982 and that was a nice soft one (hat again), but that finally wore out after about 10 years of constant wear and was floated out to sea, burned as an offering to the Gods and finally sunk by naval gunfire. All the ones I’ve had since have been ok, but no where near as comfortable as the first one (still talking about a hat).

As has been mentioned before, I think a lot of officers would go down the beret route, but we can’t so the chip bag is a pretty good substitute. Even if you’re not aircrew, it’s far easier to pack and carry around. You can also stuff it down your GPJ sleeve or in the pocket to reduce the possibility of someone pinching it from the Mess cloakroom. True, they don’t suit everyone, especially girls (I’m not being sexist, but I think they just don’t look right with a bun).

Definitely worth it in my opinion.

[quote=“cygnus maximus” post=14140]Uniform is a contradiction of terms in the Army anyway and the comment used to be that if two officers (from the cavalry probably) were at breakfast similarly dressed, one had to go and change. I’m told that the introduction of CS95 was supposed to have replaced the array of uniform known by the Pongos as ‘Barrack Dress’ but I think this attire is gradually making a come back in some Corps and Regts as COs try to salvage bits of their Regimental Identities from the Defence savings bin. Luckily and indeed fortunately, for the UK taxpayer, the RAF doesn’t have a similar fetish for different styles of jumpers (apart from v or crew neck - all blue though), bright colured trousers or other general abuses of the term ‘uniform’, although I stand by for comments on No2s being our ‘Barrack Dress’!

Although the Field Service Cap was and still is used by the Army, it’s often seen as a quintessentially RAF piece of kit and yes, it can look pretty stupid if worn incorrectly. But then again, how many ‘aircraft carrier or landing pad’ berets have you seen and nobody is beefing about that?[/quote]

Well 25 years in the Army and I have never even heard an urban myth regarding officers changing. That said, I have heard numerous other urban myths so I guess its not impossible. Being cavalry certainly wouldn’t surprise me. The different coloured jumpers and trousers are all to do with tradition. Something the RAF has very little of. I think it insulting to consider it a fetish, but you are quite correct there is a lot of different colours and types all of which are as you correctly put, part of the barrack dress uniform. But also these are restricted to Officers and SNCO’s and are private purchase. So if its OK to privately purchase a side hat then surely it’s OK for an Officer and SNCO who have a pride in their Regiment to purchase their own jumpers accordingly. As pEp pointed out, lets keep it civil. Let’s also please get our facts right.

[quote=“Racing Stick” ]Well 25 years in the Army and I have never even heard an urban myth regarding officers changing. That said, I have heard numerous other urban myths so I guess it’s not impossible. Being cavalry certainly wouldn’t surprise me.
[/quote]

Yes, it is an urban myth, perhaps I should have used a different terminology. Having said that, a family member of mine was ‘advised’ by the PMC in the Mess at Bovington (cavalry; well RTR which is almost cavalry I suppose) that he and his colleagues ‘should dress differently to each other’ as they were all in CS95.

[quote]The different coloured jumpers and trousers are all to do with tradition. Something the RAF has very little of. I think it insulting to consider it a fetish, but you are quite correct there is a lot of different colours and types all of which are as you correctly put, part of the barrack dress uniform.
[/quote]

No insult intended as ‘fetish’ can also mean fascination, craze, preoccupation and inclination, as well as it’s generally taken meaning. Therefore, to us crabs, the four definitions above are true.

You also know my background Racing Stick and whilst the RAF may not have the hundreds of years of tradition that the Corps and Regiments of the British Army have, we are still pretty proud of what those who served before us have achieved in a relatively short time.

[quote]
But also these are restricted to Officers and SNCO’s and are private purchase. So if it’s OK to privately purchase a side hat then surely it’s OK for an Officer and SNCO who have a pride in their Regiment to purchase their own jumpers accordingly.[/quote]

I agree. But I also know that quite a lot of ‘optional’ purchases for soldiers are not exactly optional; and that’s for the juniors as well as the officers and SNCOs. Regimental tee shirts, stable belts and other items. OK I absolutely agree that it looks great and is a fantastic team builder to have all your troops kitted the same for PT, and that the Regimental Fund may contribute something towards the cost for the juniors, but they still have to pay and they don’t get a choice. But I know they do it willingly because they have pride in their Regiment!

disingenuous! you’re are attempting to make a virtue of a neccessity - RAF Officers are only given one choice of uniform because they can’t be trusted to dress themselves appropriately: this is what comes of commissioning people who’ve never been to school, and who have names like ‘Kevin’, and ‘Darren’.

not so much a force, more a chavelanche…

Racing Stick, the fashion parade is real, and real pride is taken in it - the rule is that if two Officers (well, Officers from any decent Regiment…) find themselves matching, the junior of the two excuses himself to change. if you ever wondered why junior Officers like exercises so much, its so they can avoid getting changed three times before breakfast.

A fair point! :lol:

Edit - for aircrew I hasten to add.

I want to get a Side Cap, especially as take quite a few of our Sqn photos for Facebook and the website. But I don’t want to pay £55 plus, or ridiculed for wearing something more convenient than the SD Hat I have been issued.

Serious dilemma!!!

If you’re a FS as your name suggests surely a beret would solve both those dilemmas?

[quote=“FS Sarnie” post=18947]I want to get a Side Cap, especially as take quite a few of our Sqn photos for Facebook and the website. But I don’t want to pay £55 plus, or ridiculed for wearing something more convenient than the SD Hat I have been issued.

Serious dilemma!!![/quote]

Ignore it, it’s not ridicule. It’s jealousy.

They last forever, I love mine to bits.

why would someone consider getting a hat merely because it is slightly easier to take photo’s in?

[size=6]take it off![/size]

if you think that generally it’s easier/more comfortable then absolutely, go for it - but i wouldn’t walk down to the stores, let alone pay £55 of my own ill-earned shekles to buy a hat that makes taking the odd photo easier than if i wore a beret, or SD cap, or bearskin, i’d just whip the offending headgear off!

£55 buys a saturday night hotel for you and the mrs - or someone elses’ mrs - far better investment.

Personaly I dont see the point in having one unless you are an Officer for the reasons stated above. Its just a waste of money when you already have a feret to put on your head and mine never gets in my way

Surely the overwhealming argument for having a side cap…

Its the only hat you can wear in uniform that not only you can, but MUST wear at jaunty angles!

I think they work well for SNCOs to have them so you can spot the difference between the younger NCOs ATC and the cadet SNCOs at distance more easily.

I’ve not tried that yet. I’ll have a crack at it next time.
I’m not 100% sure how you’re meant to get it to sit still though?