RAF Side Caps. Worth it?

As in the subject?

Worth it? Do you use yours?

IMO:

If you’re an officer, then yes - definitely worth it. So much more convenient than an SD hat.

Otherwise, I’d just stick with a beret unless you really love forage caps! I’d wear one if I was allowed.

Love mine. Practical, light, warm flaps in the winter time, brass buttons to shine. What’s not to like?

I’d recommend them for SNCOs as well, as they add a little clearer distinction between cadets and staff at a distance, which is easier for the cadets.

But remember, they must be worn properly tilted to the right. None of this dead centre pointy gnome hat rubbish.

2 Likes

Well worth it, easy to pack.
Don’t lose their shape in the way SD hats do

But remember: they look retarded!

3 Likes

Thread starts as a serious question about a valid and ‘traditional’ piece of uniform, Post 5 turns to criticising! Good show.

I wear my forage cap all the time when in No2s, they’re well worth the outlay.

[quote=“papa november” post=14107]Thread starts as a serious question about a valid and ‘traditional’ piece of uniform, [/quote]Which happens to look a bit stupid. Puttees are a valid and traditional piece of uniform but I don’t see people queueing up to bring those back.
It is a valid consideration for those considering purchasing or wearing a forage cap.

Forage caps are convenient for aircrew; other offices can deal with the minor inconvenience of an SD cap for the overall benefit of looking the part.

The question asked was “worth it?” - My response is “Normally, no” for the reasons I give.

1 Like

The ACO provides us all with a beret, in some cases an SD hat.
Why also have a side hat?
The RAF, indeed the forces in general are going out of their way to save money. Now ultimately this is a drop in the ocean when you consider the waste that Dii has become but it still must be a saving if the RAF just didn’t bother having them.
Is it really that much of a space save for aircrew. Does a side hat really take up less space than a beret?
We have two hats, is it really worth having three?
And, on a less serious point, I agree with Incubus; they do look retarded and make people who wear them look like they should be piloting a Thunderbird!! FAB.

The cost is a moot point, as they’re an optional item at private expense anyway.

[quote=“Racing Stick” post=14109]The ACO provides us all with a beret, in some cases an SD hat.
The RAF, indeed the forces in general are going out of their way to save money. Now ultimately this is a drop in the ocean when you consider the waste that Dii has become but it still must be a saving if the RAF just didn’t bother having them.
Is it really that much of a space save for aircrew. Does a side hat really take up less space than a beret?
And, on a less serious point, I agree with Incubus; they do look retarded and make people who wear them look like they should be piloting a Thunderbird!! FAB.[/quote]

Considering all side-caps are privately purchased and manufactured your money saving point is somewhat irrelevant.

Also, you may have two hats in blues, but I, and all other officers, only have one. Because only RAF Regiment officers may wear berets in No 2. In which case they are most of the time a more practical option than an SD cap.

The appearance thing is a personal matter, I like mine. I don’t think calling them “retarded” is appropriate, nor is it a very polite response to a well meaning question.

Beat me to it.

Also, keeping hard working station tailors busy is an important advantage to everyone.

Thunderbirds - International Rescue, awesome craft, heroic deeds…

On the other hand, peaked hats remind me of Johnny Morris in Animal Magic.

I know which I’d rather be!

Seriously, it’s all uniform and should be worn with pride by those authorised to wear it.

[quote=“Racing Stick” post=14109]The ACO provides us all with a beret, in some cases an SD hat.
And, on a less serious point, I agree with Incubus; they do look retarded and make people who wear them look like they should be piloting a Thunderbird!! FAB.[/quote]

Why do the guards have to have different uniforms to the rest of the army? Lets put the entire Army in FAD and nothing else to save some money.

Good question… the Army and Royal are the only Forces that still have 2 formal uniforms for all ranks. The RN only have it for Admirals and above and the RAF have nothing.

On the topic, I would quite like to have a Side Cap but can’t. Reasons being? 1. Practicality, RN caps are 2inches wider and 1 in higher than RAF caps. try tucking that under your arm. 2. Have you worn a beret in Shirt and tie and looked in a mirror! 3. A side cap goes on your head with out as much difficulty as a beret.

[quote=“incubus” post=14108][quote=“papa november” post=14107]Thread starts as a serious question about a valid and ‘traditional’ piece of uniform, [/quote]Which happens to look a bit stupid. Puttees are a valid and traditional piece of uniform but I don’t see people queueing up to bring those back.
It is a valid consideration for those considering purchasing or wearing a forage cap.

Forage caps are convenient for aircrew; other offices can deal with the minor inconvenience of an SD cap for the overall benefit of looking the part.

The question asked was “worth it?” - My response is “Normally, no” for the reasons I give.[/quote]

A well considered response? I hardly think that an out and out insult of fellow CFAV and those serving is an appropiate way to respond to the question in hand.

[quote=“Baldrick” post=14111]

Also, you may have two hats in blues, but I, and all other officers, only have one. Because only RAF Regiment officers may wear berets in No 2.[/quote]

This limitation has become the case, apparently due to an error in the dress regulations that has become enshrined over time. It previously was not the case, or (more accurately) the original intention was that only regular RAF and RAuxAF Officers were meant to be prohibited from wearing the beret in No2 dress / BD, following it’s broader introduction to the Air Forces of the Crown via the RAF Regt in the 1950s. At first, no such prohibition was applied to RAFVR Officers, nor to WRAF/WRAFVR Officers.

Part of the reason of this over-reaction may have been down to the fact that (again originally, but during WW2) RAFVR Officers (of the original training branch, serving with the ATC) were not permitted to wear SD peaks on parade. They could wear them to/from parades, but not during. Here’s a contemporary letter from ‘Flight’…

I think it’s likely to have been an over-reaction driven by all the ex-regular Officers who came into the RAFVR from the RAF, post WW2, coupled with lobbing from 1947-onwards RAFVR Officers, that saw the removal of ‘beret in blues’ option for all non-Regt Officers.

In which case they are most of the time a more practical option than an SD cap.[/quote] In some ways, and to some extent. Read the moans of a non-fan of that headgear, from back when the ATC was a three-year old baby.

The appearance thing is a personal matter, I like mine. I don’t think calling them “retarded” is appropriate, nor is it a very polite response to a well meaning question.[/quote]

There’s nothing served by calling them retarded, that’s not constructive. Like all hats, it’s possible to wear them wrongly, or correctly. And they are historical icons, undeniably and universally, of Air Force uniform wear.

But the founding intention was that all volunteer Officers serving in the Air Forces of the Crown were to have the option of wearing berets in No2 dress (and in previous incarnations of undress uniform, including B/G BD). Conversely (but on a related note), I believe that only RAFVR Officers had the option of wearing forage caps in No1 HSD, regular RAF and AAF Officers had to wear peaks in No1s…(but, rules didn’t really extend to Auxiliary Officers, who in their original classic mode were a total breed apart- they tended to form something of a role model for the regular RAF) .

wilf_san

ps I wonder if RAFVR(T) Officers that are now entitled to wear RAF Regt mudguards in No1/No3/No5 dress would be permitted to wear berets in No2 dress?

1 Like

Beat me to it.

Also, keeping hard working station tailors busy is an important advantage to everyone.[/quote]

They still have to be made! That costs money.
REMOVED TROLLING
As for the Army having more uniform. Firstly the Guards only have Scarlet’s for Ceremonial and do not get them issued.
Secondly, and no doubt this will stick in the throat for most of you, the Army has slightly more tradition that the RAF because they’ve been around longer than the RAF or hadn’t you noticed!!
REMOVED SWEARING AND TROLLING

Beat me to it.

Also, keeping hard working station tailors busy is an important advantage to everyone.[/quote]

As for the Army having more uniform. Firstly the Guards only have Scarlet’s for Ceremonial and do not get them issued.[/quote]

NOT ISSUED! Then they must be private purchase items? How dare the Guards have private purchase items? I think this practice should stop, in line with this argument:

Beat me to it.

They still have to be made! That costs money.
REMOVED TROLLING
As for the Army having more uniform. Firstly the Guards only have Scarlet’s for Ceremonial and do not get them issued.
Secondly, and no doubt this will stick in the throat for most of you, the Army has slightly more tradition that the RAF because they’ve been around longer than the RAF or hadn’t you noticed!!
REMOVED SWEARING AND TROLLING[/quote]

Someone needs a hug.

So the army can keep all their stuff and different uniforms but the RAF can’t because it is younger? You make me laugh mate. Nice one!

[quote=“Racing Stick” post=14119]They still have to be made! That costs money.[/quote]Yes, the customer’s money. They’re made as a private enterprise.