RAF Greatcoat

I have a funny story about a member of staff and 2C uniform…

2 Likes

Pray tell

Always used to annoy me that I had to wear a suit to meetings with the Minister but the RAF lawyer working on the same project would rock up in a short sleeve. Though these days I tend to go to Ministerial meetings in my PJs.

1 Like

I can well believe this and have a SI friend who I am sure is the same - although they avoid anything formal and ceremonial on all occasions - you won’t ever catch him on a parade if he can avoid it and I think the only time I have seen in him in No1s was actually No4s for a dining in night…

snap!
for me it varies, but i’d say i have ~3 occasions a year to wear my No1s.
A formal night at Squadron - Wing visit/inspection
as No4s at Dinning in
and Parades.

Do tell

A RAFAC WO, who had been an SAC in the RAF >20 yrs previously, rocked up to the Sqn in 2C.

Cue Acting OC (coincidentally a WSO - another long story) to tell him that was not permitted uniform.

But I was issued this in the RAF! I wore it in the RAF, so I can wear it now as uniform

Err, no Joe*, that’s not how it works. In the RAFAC, only cadets can wear 2C

But I was issued this in the RAF! I’m allowed to wear it!

I find 1358C: it specifically says only cadets are scaled to wear 2C

I don’t believe that! I was issued this in the RAF! I’m allowed to wear it!

sighs all round

15 mins later, coincidentally, WWO (who is now very famous) turns up. WWO repeats everything we’ve all said, and is met with the same brick wall mindset. WWO leaves without managing to change Joe’s behaviour.

(* names changed, obvs)

2 Likes

You can’t help some people!

4 Likes

I wear a short sleeve shirt every day, unless the Cadets are in wedgewoods.

I’d rather be Cold than wear a tie. (This applies at work too!)

1 Like

wfh is great. I get to wear jeans and hoody every day. Oh, actually, wait, I did that at work anyway :smirk:

It’s like a WO I knew who constantly rolled their wedgewood blue sleeves up and tucked their beret under the epaulette as that’s what he did in the raf in the 70s.
No matter what they were told they just didn’t get it…

3 Likes

Heathens the lot of you!

I’m suited for work most days - apart from today I am wearing jeans and a lovely knit. Oh god I’m getting old.

Never had an issue wearing a tie.

1 Like

Ties are an antiquated fashion item that should go the same way as the requirement for gentlemen to wear hats!

If I become a Quaker do the Dress Regulations allow me to refuse to wear a tie on Religious grounds?

2 Likes

It’s probably 1 part that, and 1 part ‘too many people order the wearing of medals on occasions which are clearly ribbon order’.

That would excite from me a politely worded “the hell with what the OC prefers…”

1 Like

I’ve got him also into wearing a side cap - baby steps…

1 Like

I intend to wear a side cap when we go back to F2F. (Any tips on where to acquire one would be appreciated).

Don’t want to be wearing a peak all the time.

Please don’t shout at me, but the best deal I could find was on cadet direct if buying new… The traditional tailors were all half as much again…

2 Likes

That’s where I got mine. Hate wearing a peak all the time. A side cap is much less faff to carry when you take them off. Though I wish officers could wear berets in blues.

If you do get one though please, for the love of God, wear them properly and not right on the top of your head.

2 Likes

I’ve seen @Baldrick moaning about upright side caps for long enough to know it’s wrong :joy:

4 Likes

We’re actually one of the only times I’m fine with them since they aren’t gendered so much.

Three officers on squadron - a little game we play is who can get the most extreme angle without it falling off.

5 Likes