Incoming Region Changes - ASTRA

One other option is that we could go to far fewer regions.

So all the wings in Greater London, SERFCA and EARFCA would go into a massive 10 Wing Region.

If they want to get it done by 1st April 2022 that would be the quickest and easiest.

We also need to be on a level playing field with the ACF for works, repairs, etc.

As described before, they “seem” to get things fixed quicker.

1 Like

My understanding is that RFCA administer their private funds too, so is this part of getting rid of Squadron Funds/Committees.

What do you think the impact will be on other non-air/space/cyber subjects?
I find it interesting that UAS do more AT as there’s less flying available for them. I do think the vision is good if there are facts to back it up and of course the money. One thing that worries me is where are the space and cyber experts coming from? Where’s the training, or are we relying on recruiting IT experts? Let’s face it, we are pretty rubbish at recruiting and retaining adults at the best of times!

3 Likes

They still do a damn sight more than us!

At least, it appears that way. Roughly the same amount of hours per year, but spread among ~1000 rather than ~35k.

They also do a hell of a lot more force protection training than they used to, as well. More relevant for the majority joining up, though, rather than just flying.

Not much. Unless them taking the civ comm money side means it’s harder for us to get approval to buy our own kit for those activities… Then we’re properly screwed.

31 posts were merged into an existing topic: Potential change to GPF and committees at the local level

I think we can expect another survey.

I suspect some of the moving around of borders is to create more jobs for the boys and create the illusion of change. Maybe the ‘project’ should be titled “Moving deckchairs on the Titanic”.

How many of these ‘change for the future’ projects have we had and seen nothing tangible come out of them for the coal face? Always lots of words that can be construed as positive, but it’s how they are designed to be read. I wouldn’t think anymore just because the signee has lots of braid, when people like this have to come up with and or put their name to things like this, just to make it look like they are doing something, to justify why they are getting paid watch they are and been knighted for drinking tea/coffee.

Moving boundaries? Who cares? Regions and Wings have been reorganised and or lost in the past and we have just carried on. The change of Region or Wing only means a change of words, it doesn’t mean things will be better, more likely worse.

Words like cyber, space are nice headline words, but where does the funding come from to do it properly and surely they are just a part of STEM. But we’ve seen that we as staff aren’t really skilled enough in them, to do them justice you need to spend money on them. Then as with everything all of the cadets aren’t all interested in these things, so we are faced with the same problems.

We don’t want or I suspect have much interest in these organisational changes, however if it was change that made things easier for us and opened up national opportunities for young people who join to engage with and the same opportunities for staff to try and instil an enthusiasm in the volunteer staff, it would pique our interest, but with very, very, very low expectation of positive as the history of these ideas hasn’t been good.

Ain’t no time for that if he wants it in by April 2022.

1 Like

Why on earth would this warrant a survey, this isn’t a democracy

2 Likes

Am I only one who thinks change is good… I get there may be bigger fish to fry but I think its showing theres no barriers to large scale change in this org any more

3 Likes

I’m sceptical about big change at short notice with no consultation.

Look at how long the LaSER review went on and it was still badly implemented and now we are looking at the wholesale changes to regions, the potential for Wings to be disbanded/merged and he wants it done in under 6 months.

1 Like

No, not a democracy, but the leader needs to be informed to make the best decisions. A consultation might reveal considerations not yet seen. It’s not an opinion poll or a vote.

2 Likes

There was an “and beyond” in there, too. Timings haven’t been bound afaics.

Oooo…… You’ve just opened a can of worms, some people think it is :roll_eyes:

Change can be good. If something is broken, fix it. Some may say “it’s not broken”. I prefer “it’s held together by chewing gum”.

1 Like

This.

1 Like

No consultation that we know of - I’m not saying he has or hasn’t consulted people but if we’ve not heard a peep of how this is going to work or when this is actually going to happen then if he has consulted people, he’s not consulted anyone that might have an idea of how this works at the coal face. I’m all for change, where change is needed but it needs to be done for the right reasons and in the right way.

2 Likes

These changes won’t make much difference at the sqn level. You may change Wing and or Region, but essentially just carry on doing whatever.

Until they get rid of your committee and put RFCA in charge of your funds.

Or they disband your Wing and you lose your centralised training teams. (Which depending on your Wing can be good or bad).

2 Likes

Other thread :wink:

This could certainly be bad for some people. If you have a wing that has a really good AT team, or a really good NCO training team, and get moved to one that doesn’t. However the problem there is the wing that has poor WSOs, not the fact that you were moved!