Radio - Ex Blue Ham

Next weekend, 16th & 17th October is Exercise Blue Ham.

Anyone taking part? Anyone done it before? How’d it go?
It’ll be my first time taking part after encouragement from a ham who’s recently joined the squadron.

2 Likes

We’ve run it before and the cadets enjoyed it. There were lots of amateurs making contact and it kept the cadets busy talking, logging and working out where the other stations were.

I don’t think we can run it this year as the RAFAC COVID guidance still limits cadets to ‘handheld radio use only, no shared microphones’.

If only you could clean the microphone

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve elected to just ignore that bit about handheld only, and the regionradio bod has issued my Sqn a callsign so it’s going ahead.

1 Like

Now you’re being logical and sensible. HQAC haven’t thought of that yet.

2 Likes

Put a thin plastic bag over the mic the type supermarkets used or give you for the veggies is ideal, change bag between operators. A bit of a faff but it works (easier if you have a desktop mic than one the CB radio hand mics)

Just noticed this on the Blue Ham website :laughing: :

If you transmit out-of-band: the Men-in-Black will take you from your home in the middle of the night to a secret base where you will be strapped to a chair in a sound-proof room and made to watch every episode of Coronation Street. Allegedly!

https://alphacharlie.org.uk/exercise-blue-ham/

3 Likes