Radio - Ex Blue Ham

But any other callsigns…

Just feels like another way the corps makes things that little bit less accessible.

1 Like

a £10 - £20 Baofeng BF-888s is pretty accesible and can easily be programmed . . .

a £20 - 30 Baofeng UV-5R is pretty accessible and a bit nicer and can easily be programmed.

It’s ok to use PMR for things like car parking at a local (non MOD) event. Just don’t use military procedures but keep in mind that the comms are in the clear.

but as @mprentice1 says there’s not a lot of point really unless someone has gifted the Sqn some PMR handsets.

1 Like

I believe they did use them years and years ago but they’re banned now to bring some actual structure to radio training.

I also believe it’s because using a PMR446 is for civilian, non licenced communication. They typically have shoddy range and no sort of voice procedure. The radio syllabus is used to actually teach cadets a skill they might require in military service as it teaches cadets ACP125G which is used by all allies as a communication standard. I get what you mean though as for staff, having 446 radios might be useful for coordinating an exercise over a short range.

Best to just stick to using handsets on the allocated channels in ACTO73 and just use abbreviated procedure and callsigns.

Huh? The standard and syllabus we teach is very different to that of the regulars. The way the ACF teach it is much closer to the real thing. I’m unsure if the likes of JL get taught ‘battle comms’ but that might be closer.

The rules don’t preclude their use.

“cadet training” means teaching radio comms or using comms for exercises.

“on mod property” is just that.

Car parking at the local showground? Crack on.

2 Likes

All our comms are based off of ACP125G, which is supposedly used between the allies so when on joint excersises it’s all standardised. How are the ACF taught it?

Without getting into a rabbit hole, ACP125(G) is closer to the ACF/CCF and Army procedure than what we currently teach.

1 Like

I have had a peruse through ACP125G and there are a lot of things we simply do not teach which confuses me.

2 Likes

I’m told it is being looked at.

1 Like

Can you expand (maybe in PM to avoid derailing)?

1 Like

Exercise Blue Ham 24-1 - Channel-D - 11th - 15th March
The Briefing Doc for Ex Blue Ham has now been published on the RAFAC Radio MS Teams Team and on the Radio Portal.
CCF (Army), ACF and SCC are invited to take part as well.