Quick Questions…

Probably because its run by the Army, and they decided…

2 Likes

So for paper poppies are we just using the pin to secure? Guessing no one expects you to shove the paper stalk into your jersey! Glad they’re still selling the plastic ones near me, while stocks last…

You were never expected to shove the stall of the plastic one through your uniform.

Guilty but because its allowed.
Cadets do not have to be on a formal Marching parade to wear black gloves either and are just as entitled to wear black gloves in cold weather

1 Like

Interesting.

My regs say above the pocket on No1s.

Ours say above the right pocket on 1s, or equivalent in other dress.

I’ve always put it through the buttonhole on the right pocket. It saves a pin and any potential damage.

1 Like

I think there’s a lot of confusion because the traditional position for any boutonnaire would be the button hole on the left lapel, which then leads people to wear them on that side of their chest if they are without a button hole on a lapel.

Then people start saying it’s “over the heart”, which sounds clever, but then it’s clashing with medals.

By that point, we’ve forgotten we should ever wear these things on lapels and we opt for the right breast because it deconflicts well with everything.

Until your people start carrying drums and banners, at which point you’re right back where you started!

2 Likes

The only correct way to wear a poppy, isn’t “over the heart” or “with the leaf pointing at 11 o’clock” but with pride

It’s a matter of personal choice whether someone chooses to wear a poppy and how they choose to wear it. We simply ask that if you do wear a poppy, you wear it with pride.
How Do You Wear Your Poppy | Royal British Legion

3 Likes

This is correct of course.

I simply refer to the historically accurate/traditional place for wearing any boutonnière.

1 Like

The King in RAF uniform had his on the left on his greatcoat but obvs no medals to get in way
Interesting to see opposite of the uniform guidance we were given…

…but then he is the Boss

1 Like

AP1358 and ACP1358 both say poppies on the left in greatcoats

1 Like

It’s in the aforementioned button hole.

1 Like

Fair call - having never had a carpet coat have never looked that far…

Fall out/dismiss - when should one be used over the other?

Similarly, falling out (rather than being dismissed) with an officer on parade - salute?

(I’m thinking yes to the second one and I’m genuinely not sure on the first, but one of my cadets asked me last night and I couldn’t find a solid answer in the AP).

Ideally, chapter/verse if it exists - makes it easier to brief cadet NCOs with.

Cheers all!

1 Like

I have always understood it to be:

Fall out - to your duties
Dismiss - at the end of duty

so fall out used for every and any parade during the day (with the exception perhaps to “dismiss to the mess”)

Dismiss would be used to “your duty is over, your on your own time” - on a Squadron evening this would be used for final parade.

When there is an officer on parade it is always “officer on parade, dismiss” > all incline and salute

7 Likes

That’s my understanding too, except it’s “An officer on parade”. However, there’s nothing in AP818 because it’s a book of lesson plans rather than the policy / guidance document we all need.

1 Like

Whenever it’s time to “fallout”, all the officers on sqn have long since run away to the warmth of the office so no problem there for us…

1 Like

Before Fall Out, officers often hand back to the NCO Flt i/c and asked them to ‘carry on’. Officer then exits or goes to speak to the next flight and the NCO can give additional instructions before telling the flight to Fall Out. Hence Fall Out wouldn’t get used with an officer around.

2 Likes

So, this one makes sense to me normally.

But, say you’re running a band session - outside, fallen in - and there is an officer present with the band. A cadet needs to fall out for some reason - another duty, toilet, forgotten some music. They are therefore instructed to fall out and go attend to said reason. Salute?