Quick Questions…

3 Likes

Thank you.

Its ok… the tailors put them on pointing out, rather than down the flow of the jacket.

Couldnt access sharepoint last night for some reason, but working now

They may be more used to dealing with the collar dogs on Army no. 2s.

Next Q.

Polishing medals. What do you use?

Brasso…but i guess Silvo will work to.

I would have thought any “metal polish” would suffice

Don’t use brasso or silvo, it’s an abrasive.

Jewellery dip or jewelry polish such as Goddard’s will do you better.

1 Like

oh well now i know.

In truth I have only ever polished them once and then my grandfathers having been pulled out of storage.

i just buff them now with a cloth

Every now and then is ok, but I’ve seen quite a lot about how it can erode the medal.

Here’s a post about it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyp3tjZN8zA/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

These silicone liners are fantastic.

Has anyone ever had where SMS grays out selected cadets, and it doesn’t show them on the event?

I cant seem to find a workaround

A rubber as in a pencil eraser. I get the job of polishing all medals in this house and between us there are quite a few (he’s earned his though :rofl:). Works wonders, especially on the Iraq medal which goes manky really quickly.

3 Likes

I had a very awkward moment in the changing room at the lacrosse world championship. I asked an American referee colleague if I could borrow his rubber as mine had snapped (I needed to clean my scorecard for the next match). Took a moment for me to realise I needed to say eraser.

Depends on the developer / builder.

Our house “3 ago” was a small development (13-14 properties) - “private builder” - the quality of the build was very good, we we able to see the 2nd / 3rd fix as it progressed. What few very minor snags there were = fixed quickly & to a high standard.

Our house “2 ago” (about 20 yrs ago) was brand new, already finished but built by a national builder, namely Bovis. We found numerous issues, some major items sooner than others, such as a stack pipe from the upstairs family bathroom wasn’t collared at all = sewage seeped from behind the boxed in section in my study. The drive looked like a WW1 tank had had a dance party on it, & finally, for the separate annex, (above the triple garage) the roof guttering down pipes didn’t connect to the etxernal drains, just finished up 10" underground!!

It cost them; er no, Mr Jenvey, we aren’t putting matching floor tiles in your study instead of carpet, no, we aren’t getting your drive block paved, & no, we only will do the minimum to connect the annex drainage…

I reminded them (in each case) about building regulations & standards, & presented a draft leaflet that I would very happily sit outside their sales office & pass on to prospective buyers. All works completed + cash settlement for the inconvenience. :wink:

We found out later that (as always) cheapest tender = cheapest gas boilers, minimal topsoil on the rubble in the garden, etc, etc. Same for the wiring - several potentially dangerous connections.

Current property - new one yr ago (one of 4) - again, able to see it being built from 2nd & 3rd fix. Amazing standard & fantastic attention to detail, the builder would only use high quality trades, & it shows. Very clever touches such as using OSB behind the plasterboard at the upper corner of windows = curtain pole fittings go straight into the OSB = they ain’t moving! Or, internal wiring for security cameras all pre-installed, with small access ports in the relevant rooms.

So, I would say that an older house built by a smaller developer may well have more value than one built by a national developer. Of course, energy efficiency of a new build will be far better than an older property - & you will have to spend a lot to insulate an older house but still won’t match a new-build of today.

Are they staff cadets who are also listed on the Staff page of the event?

Do we have anyone from a VGS on here?

I keep seeing posts like the below, seemingly showing cadet flying badges being awarded to adult staff:

Does anyone know if this is all just a bit of fun, or do they actually wear those badges?

1 Like

Sqn Banner Tassles…

Whats is the best way to clean them?

Banner silks and accoutrements arent usually cleaned during their life span and arent really constructed too be.

However, you MAY be able to soak them in warm soapy water with the delicate handwash stuff and with a soft brush to clean them, then let them drip dry naturally. But im not sure what the results would be or if damage would occur

1 Like

Probably best to get a new set, before attempting anything.

Marching band store has them for about 20ish

1 Like