Quick Questions…

There is an FOI process to confirm it :wink:

1 Like

Hi Hive mind.

I’m looking to purchase some projectors that can be used in the classroom environment, but also able to be used in the field (Adventure Training Camp, Fieldcraft, Etc) for briefings/additional training.

Would need to be battery powered, and suitably cadet-proof for use in deployed areas.

Battery use is so it can be used where they may not be a generator / powered infrastructure.

1 Like

I would invest in remote batteries and not special projectors.

More technology about and can be used for more universal things like charging radio banks or running radio masts etc.

5 Likes

Another angle to look at here could be to get a ‘normal’ mains posted projector, and then get something similar to a Jackery.

Or would be way more flexible, allowing the use of laptop charging, tablet charging and lighting etc

2 Likes

Beat me to it!

As an idea the SAR team that I volunteer for use a big battery in the back of our Incident Command Unit to run computers, screens, radios and all sorts from one place making it much easier to exist in a remote environment.

2 Likes

Rather than projectors I’d be inclined to look at things like the LG StanbyME GO but I imagine you want something capable of a bigger screen?

A custom 12v lipo with inverter setup works well if built into a vehicle, but honestly these battery stations by the likes of Anker/Jackery/UGreen/EcoFlow are getting really good that it’s almost not worth the effort of a custom setup!

1 Like

Agree, that’s the sort of thing I would go with.

1 Like

There’s quite a choice of the large power banks now, £500-800 seems to be the price range for the more powerful models.

I’ve not seen a battery powered projector, maybe some of the mini ones would be (but usb-c seems a good option if it exists)

I know a few people who’ve got the Anker Nebula which is battery powered and seems quite a tidy little package - very small and portable but with a good resolution and brightness level. I think it’s battery (initially!) is around 2-4 hours - but can also be powered via USB C on a seperate battery pack OR mains! They start at around £250 (and go upwards!) - but i think you can get a refurb for around half that.

Definitely lighter than lugging around a full Ecoflow, Bluetti, Jackery solution (for which you’d STILL need a projector!).

1 Like

Work trialled some Apeman ones that were ok, think they lasted around 2 hours on the battery and were not much bigger than a large powerbank. Knowing work they will definitely be on the cheap side :rofl:

Be a Junior Officer (APO) in the presence of cadets. See a female WO approaching, whose surname you know but not their title (it’s not really any of my business anyway). WO salutes and says ‘good evening, sir’. You salute and respond “Good evening, Ms Surname”.

Is this correct? It’s what I’ve gone with but still not sure if we would universally use Miss (like with teachers and perhaps more appropriately prison officers) or Mrs?

I think Ms is the best solution to avoid offence, short of saying “Good evening, Warrant Officer Surname”, which I don’t think is the done thing.

What’s the thoughts of the hive mind? Might need to go over the protocol sheet again, need to actually recall the mess rules too before my CIC…

(Also, only saying Female as it’s the most likely not to use the title Mr. I recognise gender diversity and will adjust if pronouns/titles are known, but not sure how to add inclusivity where an explicitly gendered title is protocol)

1 Like

That seems correct to me. It’s appropriate and neutral. If the WO has a preference for Miss or Mrs, she would let you know. Using the full rank wouldn’t be wrong, although I always felt (as an officer) that it jars, as if deliberately emphasising their rank compared to yours.

Remove your issue by using ‘Good Morning Warrant’ or ‘Good Morning Warrant Officer Smith’. Alternatively, ask them what their preference is. You could also seek further advice from WO RAFAC.

1 Like

Just use their rank and avoid gender and name unless you know them well enough to know their preferences.

2 Likes

Don’t use any gendered terms or you’ll have Air Officers coming at you

I’d go with the wedding ring, if there is one it’s Mrs and if there isn’t it’s Miss/Ms.

1 Like

If I’m that close to one, something’s already gone wrong! :wink:

If I’m in uniform something isn’t going quite to plan.

1 Like