Proposed Replacement for GP Jacket- Softshell trials

Not quite, I don’t believe they are formally issued upon initial kitting.

I had mine issued to me when I got into uniform, but it wasn’t on the chit from HQAC.

The existing GPJ is part of ATC uniform, but scaling for it has been intermittent and scrappy.

In line with other new, gucci things that the RAF get I fully expect them to be initially forbidden in the RAFAC while we inherit your cast-offs. If we are eventually granted permission to use them then it will be in addition to the GPJ, rather than replacing it.

The sooner RAFAC gets its own uniform and supply chain, the better as far as I am concerned.

That wasn’t quite what bigmalcuk was suggesting - if he doesn’t have the required kit to do an activity, he doesn’t do it. I haven’t yet been to a parade night at our Sqn where there hasn’t been a mix of uniform & civvies for both cadets & instructors.

And that is his decision. Luckily for us, most people do not take that same stance.

However, there are very real requirements (shooting, mostly) for RAFAC personnel to be wearing clothing that we are not scaled for, most likely due to the people writing those requirements being entrenched in a military mindset and failing to make accommodations for us.

OK, I understand what you’re saying and I don’t think it’s fair that you should have to buy so much kit but my point about chip hats was more akin to the question of - if you WERE issued with a piece of kit then would you pay extra for something to wear INSTEAD of that issued kit?

To say that my opinion isn’t relevant is a little unfair, especially when the topic is about kit that is currently being trialled by regular RAF personnel.

Yes, I might choose to pay to improve upon issued kit. I might even pay to get replacement kit since it may be easier, faster and overall cheaper to do so than to try to get to my parent stores in person.

1 Like

If you follow the chain back, you’ll find that I was reponding to your comment that as a regular you have always recieved ‘greens’ for free, as VRT/ATC we don’t…

I’ve just been commissioned and my initial uniform proforma does list a GPJ and VRT are scaled for them; whether or not one turns up for me is another matter!

[quote=“rocket_scientist, post:85, topic:3013”]if you WERE issued with a piece of kit then would you pay extra for something to wear INSTEAD of that issued kit?
[/quote]

I’m an ex-Rock and we had to do it all the time simply because the issued kit wasn’t up to scratch for the job we did.

To return to the original topic, my personal opinion is that the soft-shell jacket makes the wearer look like a chav.

3 Likes

similar - my first tour was a Bosnian Winter in the 90’s, my unit used private funds to buy lots of gear, and we as individuals bought our own stuff as well - the only issued stuff i, and anyone else, used was the helmet, rifle, body armour, windproof smock and some belt-kit.

everything else - boots, clothing, gaiters, cold weather gear, waterproofs, bergens, sleeping bags, was either commercial military stuff or civilian climbing/hillwalking gear. in total each soldier wore/used about £1500 worth on non-issued stuff.

2 Likes

I wasn’t issued a GPJ. I was issued a Goretex, but it wasn’t on the kitting list, I just blagged it. (“So what do I wear if it rains?”)

I am not wearing this jacket even if I was issued it. My jumper is perfectly adequate if it is cold and my Goretex is actually a really decent jacket.

Same. It’s that old “professional” argument. Yea you get issued stuff but you can buy better.

Problem is now, with the vultures of insurance providers etc, if you buy certain items then you have to fight insurance for a payout if anything happens. Even if what you bought was a better standard. Go figure.

Certain bits of “PPE” are non negotiable and you won’t be allowed to buy your own. Unless you get issued a strip black maskers to go across your face too.

You have to fight insurance for a payout whatever happens.

1 Like

True dat.

Gossip has it with Regular mates that the RAF is going to be wearing Medal Ribbons and Trade Badges on GPJs from April 2020.
Anyone heard any more on this?

Trade badges I can kind of understand but medal ribbons is a step too far

How very American

Do many trades still have trade badges?

1 Like

It might cause a big uptake in their wear, à la Thunderbird jackets.

Hang on, doesn’t the USAF wear the same jacket? I don’t think that even they have gone as far as putting ribbons on the thing.

Correct. NSN block 2 is ‘00’ or ‘01’ to show North American manufacture, versus ‘99’ for standard UK-made

Also correct. They haven’t. However, USAF active duty, ANG and AFROTC etc can optionally have their “GPJs” embroidered with the modern US Air Force seal symbol. I think they call it ‘Jacket, blue, lightweight’, or also ‘Windbreaker, blue’.

The Civil Air Patrol also have the option to have their three-blade prop symbol worn on these jackets.

In the USA, ribbons are worn on shirts in certain orders of dress: yes. And obviously on service dress, the same as us. But never on outerwear jackets or coats

CAP personnel appear to wear squadron or higher formation badges at the left shoulder, and the US flag on the right (let’s hope the world’s oldest independant air force doesn’t follow suit)
CAP_GPJ

1 Like