Proposed Replacement for GP Jacket- Softshell trials

The only outerwear jacket I’ve ever seen with medal ribbons on it is the 1972 pattern.

Well, I have a picture of a high up police officer wearing his jubilee ribbons on a jacket…

By ‘outerwear’, I’m meaning utility clothing for wind, cold or rain protection, normally marked only with rank.

The No2 dress jacket was worn outdoors and indoors a lot more than the GPJ. The main difference between it and No1s was that you could temporarily go into shirt-sleeve order, and yet the world did not end. Try that in best blues, and it’s Deep Impact meets Armageddon.

I didn’t mind it at all, was practical and smart in my opinion. The Regiment always tended to iron an (inwards?) arm-to-arm crease across the back of theirs, because, well, RAF Regt.

There were earlier trial versions of the withdrawn No2 jacket, some of which had a bloused cuff and lower pockets, just like the GPJ,

Hmm, yes, but that’s modern UK blue-light fashion. Plenty of Police now wear their ribbons as enamelled pins on their anti-stabs: I’ve not seen them worn on eg the ‘national’ fleece, or properly on utility outerwear. And never on the universal black wicking tops.

The Fire & Rescue Service still love their real shirts (working shirts), and do wear ribbons with them.

ps USAF GP Jackets on sale from their national PX… $90 USD. Seriously?
https://www.shopmyexchange.com/dlats-men-s-blue-lightweight-jacket-with-liner/0039511

Just the sad ones! Medal ribbons should only be worn on their No1 jackets

1 Like

Well, in fairness, very few non-senior members of the UK emergency services are actually issued with dress jackets & trousers nowadays.

And there may be a bit of a slide across the Armed Forces (of all flavours) to follow the lead of the civil emergency services ie to permit/encourage the wearing of medal ribbons in undress uniforms as well as formal dress uniforms.

Around 40 of the Forces in the UK don’t issue Tunics anymore which is probably why the move to stab vests has happened. (Only 1 force is still sad enough to wear ties which is why the other type of pin has moved).