Prince Philip has died aged 99

Guessing that should read Sunday…

Perhaps… I copied & pasted

1 Like

that’s what I thought initially too… but https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-for-the-period-of-national-mourning/guidance-for-the-period-of-national-mourning does say

A period of national mourning has commenced and will conclude on 17 April inclusive.

it seems I was confused about the difference between “Period of National Mourning”, and “Period when flags will be half-masted”, which does end the day after the funeral

Union flags flying from Royal Residences and Government Buildings were half-masted on 9 April and will remain half-masted until 08.00 on 18 April, the day after the funeral.

(I’m no protocol expert, but I’m not convinced “National Mourning” will really end before the funeral. It would make sense for it to end when the service finishes?)

(but yes, separately, there is a definite typo in the message @themajor pasted!)

Ta. I did; no response yet - we have had the “ updated guidance regarding Social Media during the official Mourning period” email though.

Just got sight of the RAF digital media guidance via CoC (guessing most people will be sent it).

It confirms National Mourning will end at 0800 Sun 18 Apr 21, with Royal Mourning continuing until 1200 23 Apr 21.

All posts are to stop until this time with the exception of sharing the tributes posted by CAC on the main RAFAC pages and/or CAS on the main RAF pages.

That’s interesting - the Govt website still says till the 17th!

Government link =

A period of national mourning has commenced and will conclude on 17 April inclusive.

Different from half-masted flags - maybe that is the confusion?

Union flags flying from Royal Residences and Government Buildings were half-masted on 9 April and will remain half-masted until 08.00 on 18 April, the day after the funeral.

Same point I made 4 hours ago, even with the same quotes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think both the gov website and the RAF guidance I have quoted is correct. It is until the 17th inclusive. But what that also technically means is nothing should happen until start of business the next day. ie 8am on the 18th.

1 Like

Yeh, probably :slight_smile:

It’s only 6 days away

How keen are people to engage in mass social media… personally I’m enjoying the break.

1 Like

Pain in the backside if you reopened tonight and have a recruitment event planned though.

4 Likes

I’m with both @Paracetamol and @daws1159 … On the one hand I’m enjoying the break, on the other I’ve got content I’d lined up to promote our reopening that is now unusable.

Oh well, I guess I’ll keep it for the next lockdown… :see_no_evil:

1 Like

But I couldn’t watch Masterchef! :man_facepalming:

1 Like

#FirstWorldProblems

1 Like

Maybe one of the more understandable waves of Ofcom complaints to be honest.

if it is that high for him both the amount of coverage and the number of complaints I wonder what we’ll get when Her Majesty passes…

I feel like this is a case of being complaining for the sake of complaining.

If you don’t like the coverage then simply turn it off. I thought OfCom complaints were for offensive content and not because someone couldn’t watch Bargain Hunt.

2 Likes

It was a little OTT, especially the nigh-suicidal playlist on Radio 2 all weekend.

3 Likes

As far as I understand people are complaining because of the level of content saturation across all platforms.

I consider myself a Royalist yet even now after several days of near wall to wall coverage… it is wearing slightly thin.

Only so many times we can be told what a fine old chap he was and did we know he was in the navy first…

BUT I’m certainly not about to complain. Just switch on Netflix et.al…

My feeling on the matter is that the protocols for the event of Royal death need massively updating.

It’s not 1952 anymore, we have 24 hour news and round the clock coverage. The internet has arrived and the world ‘moves quicker’.
We dont need to keep telling people, incase they havent heard.

I bet there wasnt a person in Britain who didnt know within 12 hours with most knowing within 10 minutes… I’m sure most will have been informed by a WhatsApp or similar saying turn on the news etc etc.

Perhaps there should be one day of total blanket coverage. Then normal service resumes until funeral -24 hours. Then mourning via media for the 24 hours before, during and after the funeral.

Something like that.

It will be somewhat different next time as it will be ‘the big one’ (unless there is a real unforeseen incident).

Either way I think those complaining need a little focus in their lives.

4 Likes