Preparing to Return to F2F Activity... Again/Still

I’m getting another strong whiff of hops and yeast.

Came out from RCs by email yesterday morning.

Might not make it down to the units yet depending how quick Wing Commanders pass it on.

In our wing.
We will hear it only once people are turned away by the guard house at cranditz.

1 Like

An ATF course in September is having a virtual module 1 over 2 days during what would have been a the week the course.

Module 2 will be practical, drill, presentation and leadership, possibly at a weekend but must be done within 12 months (COVID dependant)

One of my staff on the course in Sep and was told on the meet the ATF staff yesterday.

1 Like

Interesting concept. I assume the practical side will have to be done at Cranwell? Or will it be done locally?

I actually think that’s a really good, flexible and modern approach to training volunteers.

6 Likes

Hopefully it’ll outlive Covid too…

4 Likes

Hopefully they keep on with this. Could get part 1 done much quicker than having to wait to next August. And then if they could do Part 2 locally that would fab

For OIC & SSIC I would want to see phase 2 weekend where they are staying in a mess instead of some god awful tin army hut…

Learning how to live in the mess properly is a key skill that needs to be taught… Mostly so people don’t make a wotsit out of themselves

8 Likes

Also the part of OIC I’m most looking forward to, as obviously it will be a new experience… however if it was all virtual/local, surely it isn’t too hard to behave yourself and “learn on the job” if one happens to end up in a mess on a camp…?

For lots of volunteers it could be a long time before they go on Camp, not that many spaces and lots of people have more important things to be doing.

You would end up 4 years down the line at annual camp and no one attending has ever stayed in the mess.

Is it though?

Sign the book and pick up keys on the way in
Follow the dress code
Bring cash in case the contactless isn’t working
Help yourself to a coffee in the ante-room
Don’t walt at the bar… or anywhere else
Pace yourself at the bar
Sign the book, drop off keys and pay your bill on the way out

I think it is made a much bigger deal than it needs to be!

6 Likes

It’s a good point; and in fact for some it may even be a pointless exercise other than for the experience if they never set foot in a mess again.

You’re right… It shouldn’t be a massive deal.

However

The characters that normally manage the mess make it a bigger deal than it has to be

Yep.

My favourite one is when the old and bold teach the young’uns that you have to ask permission to join a table

Try that and you just get blanks looks because… nobody does that. Except people in the ATC!

It’s even more mental when the mess staff have only set one or two tables… like what are you supposed to do if they say no :joy:

Or that you have to find the most senior member in the bar and introduce yourself and cannot leave until you ask them permission and tell them good night.

2 Likes

This sounds suspiciously like being a cadet on your first AEF being told to tell the staff they forgot to turn the windsock off…

1 Like

I wish it was. I really really wish it was.

Old school WOs who were very serious about these “rules”. One of them decided to have a go at a regular for breaking a rule that probably hasn’t existed since 1953. Funnily enough my only camp in the SNCO mess was spent in the JRM.

Isn’t that personality type best dealt with a wink, a nudge and a massive eye roll?

Once got properly bellowed at across the Sgts and WOs mess bar by a regular when I was a brand new CI who thought I was too young and must have snuck in there illicitly. I was literally speechless. Thankfully, I was with a SNCO for my squadron who had been round the block and he smoothed it all out.

Bit of a thread drift though.

1 Like