Pre-Election Period

Whilst they no longer need to comply to Government policy, how do we feel about a public facing candidate broadcasting their CFAV and RAFAC experience as part of their campaign?

Going to leave my distaste for the particular political party aside, I’m torn about the use of it. Obviously the impact of Cadet Forces has a real world positive impact to the country but I can’t help but find this slightly distasteful. All the same 10 years as a VRT Officer is still a major commitment in one’s life and an achievement I do think one should be proud of.

Thoughts from the floor?

I’ve got no problem with people shouting about being a volunteer with us. Even if I don’t agree at all with their choice of party. ACP 20 is clear that we are allowed to do it. But it’s also clear we can’t ever cross the two. Don’t do anything political or local government-y whilst in uniform. And don’t bring any of it up whilst at cadets.

But, one thing really stands out in this post and it’s something that annoys me…

After years as a cadet, Paul went on to commission into the Royal Air Force Reserve Training Branch as a Pilot Officer.

The other post related to him says “and retired RAF Officer”

Why do certain people try and make it sound like they were actually a regular/reservist.

A quick search of Bader suggests they’re no longer a member of staff, either…

1 Like

Might print this off and use it as toilet paper. Make the social media post actually useful

3 Likes

100% agree. Expecting a political candidate to exclude such an important aspect from their bio would be unreasonable and leave a significant 10 year gap. However, whilst technically correct (10 years’ service would mean he commissioned before the change to CFC) it is also a misleading form of words.

Why can’t people be proud of what they do, without bloating?

2 Likes

Exactly, it does my nut in when I read things like that. Sure, technically correct. But also not.

And the other post saying “retired RAF Officer” just shows they’re going for the lie.

If I’m being honest, it doesn’t surprise me for someone who wants to support that party. But that’s getting into the politics of it :joy:

I know him, was a good person for the unit and the wing.

He’s also a good person to know, and he supports his local community. He’s organised a few things, and has even donated items to charity.

I may not agree with his choice of party, but I wish him the best.

2 Likes

Got to be on the latest list of Walts 2026. Be proud of what you do but keep it realistic compared to the real RAF. A great example of a politician though…all talk, now let’s see his real actions.

Reflecting on RISE, this shows the measure of his integrity, while his party’s policies demonstrate his ‘respect’ for others. The irony is huge of claiming to be retired from an organisation that he wasn’t even in, while completely failing to demonstrate its values.

3 Likes

Whilst it is semantics those who were VRT were subject to armed forces law with all the rights & privileges there off (including have a regular placed on a charge).

I have heard of VRT officers been sent call up papers & being placed in command of regular personnel (albeit it was a transport flight between brize & Germany) although I appreciate that these examples are the very rare cases & also very old.

Added it was drilled into us at all levels (region, HQ, ATF) that we were RAF officers so we were to conduct ourselves accordingly.

Officer couldn’t be dismissed without authority from the air force board & they were subject to lawful orders & potential court martial.

The procurement excemption of Sqn owned weapons under section 54 of the firearms act relied on the fact that VRT officers were RAF officers

We were listed in the London gazette & formally listed in the AirForce list.

It feels like it is a bloat these days but strictly speaking it is true & why the whole substantive rank thing existed.

Politics is about perception & as the individual is not current serving & also emphasised that they were with the cadets rather than operational it isn’t really a stretch & not a breach of integrity.

3 Likes

Exactly that, if the likes of Rory Stewart can spend their whole political career trading in a years playing dress up with the Black Watch then so can an Officer who served in the RAF Volunteer Reserve.

Now if he is going to trade in on his past J would expect him to do it properly, wear an RAFVR tie not RAF etc (I actually prefer the RAFVR tie :grinning_face:).

1 Like

I’ve gone in and read the post (and I’ll clear my history of that Reform BS later).

What I will say is it doesn’t read as if he’s trying to claim full RAF service at all. Even where it says he joined the VR(T) it immediately states that he was leading cadets afterwards. So whilst there is some risk of a lay person conflating the 2 things, I don’t think this is being Walty.

I’m still incredibly disappointed to see anyone who has been associated with any of the Cadet Forces using that association to support the heap of racist excrement that is Reform UK, but that’s a separate matter and a question of personal integrity.

3 Likes