Piercing

Where in the rules does it say you are not allowed to have a nose piercing in civilian clothing?

I would like chapter and verse as i believe one of our giant tweezers brigade is acting outside of their remit.

Similarly, when not in uniform but on duty or representing the RAFAC, the wearing of body piercing, jewellery, trinkets or rings etc is not permitted

Direct copy out of 1358C.

Its not something i normally get in a twist about when in civvies.

Although if i am running an activity like AT or Sports, i ask all piercings are taken out that are not covered up.

Full script:
Body Piercing.

1. All Personnel. Where any part of the body, other than the ear lobe for women, has been pierced or prepared, whether for any ring, stud or sleeper, no
    such items are to be worn when on duty. Similarly, when not in uniform but on duty or representing the ACO, the wearing of body piercing jewellery, trinkets or
    rings etc is not permitted, nor at any time when it may be seen to hold the ACO in disrepute or adversely reflect upon the RAF. This ruling includes tongue
    studs.
3 Likes

Really…

That’s actually good to know, thank you.

Out of curiosity, what was the activity the person told to take it out for?

Waiting for the coach to go home from summer camp

Yeah totally bringing the corps into disrepute in that situation. I would be callling the regional commandant and having the cadet kicked out.

In reality what a throbber that staff member is

2 Likes

My bold.
If the cadet is travelling from an activity like summer camp, then they would still be considered to be on duty - unless of course parents have picked them up.

To put in another context, if there was an incident on the coach from camp (e.g. two 16 year olds getting too hands-on) would we as CFAV ignore it? No, because they’re still on duty - especially if it got reported.

4 Likes

By the letter of the law, yes, they’re right.

However, command judgement… Wind yer neck in.

1 Like

Cadets, and staff, are on duty up to the point they leave the squadron after returning from camp; therefore have to abide by Riles and regs. End of.

2 Likes

Which is really what matters in this instance.

For non-duty, I have more issue with the concepts within "nor at any time when it may be seen to hold the ACO in disrepute or adversely reflect upon the RAF. "
It is far to subjective and I wonder whether it can ever be relevant for cadets. Perhaps if the Wing Commander was well known in the community but liked to spend their private time with ears like curtain rails and a bolt through their nose…

i too would lean against this wording.

if getting on the coach home from Summer camp - who is going to see the coach passengers to bring the organisation into disrepute?

the only occasion I can consider is if/when stopping at a service station for a wee stop/driver’s break - but then question
1- would the individuals be readily identified as RAFAC?
2 - would a nose stud, 4 studs in the ears and a lip ring be see as bringing anything into disrepute in 2019 when on “private” time (or in this case dressed in civilians)
3 - why should peircings only be restricted to items which can bring the organisation into disrepute? ie clothing/slogans across tshirts etc can be as damaaging
example - Greenday’s album cover was worn in tshirt form by many at the time, the album in question? “American Idiot” - the location? RAF Fairford. Some of the less cultural members of the USAAF didn’t take favourably to these tshirts and made comment to the CFAVs.

An easy error perhaps, but sure equally as damaging as a nose/lip ring, tongue stud or other metal addition to the face?

In my experience some of them would have loudly said that USians are all idiots anyway. Epsecially if they knew they were being overheard.

As long there is no formal inspection looking for ‘prince alberts’?

1 Like

Are they though? Especially given drivers have to have designated off duty rest periods… where is the definition of when people are on / off duty?

I think that’s where “or representing the ACO” (read RAFAC) comes in. They may not be on duty as such but still representing RAFAC

What better for persec than to absolutely not appear to be part of a quasi-military organisation unless you really need to?

4 Likes

My problem with was it was a member of staff who was waiting for the bus with the cadets and was tfen reduced to tears by a very senior NCO. Where perhaps a quiet word would have been the adult way dealing with the situation.

End result is said member of staff is resigning as a uniformed member of staff.

If someone says again rules is rules i will just point at the baseball caps on the D and C camp.

This is buĺlying and has no place in this organisation.

9 Likes

That changes it all in my opinion and regardless of who was right on the exact rule you need to be escalating that complaint up the chain of command. That is not on and an SNCO should know better than to rebuke another member of staff in front of cadets, let alone in a bullying manner.

1 Like

So if you were claiming remuneration, would you not claim the travel journey back to the squadron or stop at the point you leave camp? Maybe not if travelling for several hours!

1 Like