Phishing email

Less IT, now there’s an idea. It would make for a much less frenetic oarganisation.
But I also as I gather “Scout/Guide” groups act with much more autonomy and are less controlled from the centre.

Now there’s another idea!

Correct, Scouting activities are generally authorised by the head of the unit participating. e.g. if it’s just a single group then only the Group Scout Leader needs to be informed, if a few groups then the District Commissioner, couple of districts, County Commissioner etc etc.

But this has moved rather tangentially (or possibly skew-iffy) from a phishing email. . .

5 of those emails this morning. Sent to all OCs in the wing, all in the wing and others. How are they getting through?!

Someone has got access to the distribution lists is all.
That and Microsoft’s spam filter is a joke.

Not quite as vile content as the first. But still disturbing.

How dare they record my face when I use ACC!

I got three this morning. One each came from the all region, all squadrons region and all squadrons wing.

1 Like

You need to put blue tack over the camera, its the only way to be sure.

Lol.
Not my first rodeo

Reply all…

I love cheese.

1 Like

Doesn’t have to be as easy as that. Someone with the knowledge and know-how to develop a process of hitting emails in a particular formate between, say, 1 and 2600 will hit every squadron in RAFAC. Wing and Region addresses are all similar; so not rocket science.

Just noticed I received 2 yesterday, but both were in spam and I don’t remember seeing anything “aggressive” or “vile” previously.

You’re lucky then.
I have had about 6 in total now.
4 are the usual extortion type.
2 were aggressive and had enough ***** and ***** to be considered vile.

My original point was that more vulnerable and sensitive people to us who also use SMS will have received this tripe.

Were they spam emails, or just emails from your Wexo? :joy:

8 Likes

This has nothing to do with being an SMS user. It’s email.

Should be some blocking put in place for this large distribution groups to only allow emails from internal or MOD addresses.

Looks like the from address was spoofed.

True that someone not savvy could easily get het up about it.

Bader, email, sms, jesus the pedentry!
There are young people, old.people, all.sorts of people who use BADER.

Do you call your staff by the wrong name too?

(“pedantry”, by the way" :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

There’s a word for thinking like that.
I don’t know anyone who has email systems that draconian. I email mates and they likewise from work to and from personal emails. If you take the idea that Bader email is just internal, how do I email all those outside the ATC who contact me via my ATC email? To make it internal only would be madness of the first order and mean people would need to fill personal email addresses with loads of ATC toilet.

Whichever muppet took away the ability to set rules around managing emails and auto-forwarding on the current outlook? I used that to disseminate things to staff on personal emails. Now I have to login and forward that way. Was the reason the conceit that what we do in the ATC is somehow security sensitive? More so than many of the things we send to and form business contacts day in day out.

Microsoft, by making it a cost-based function

You have misread the message. What we are talking about is preventing external agencies from sending a message to an internal mailing list that may include hundreds or thousands of addressees - a basic protection that any decent company would look to implement.

Limiting which internal persons can send mail to major lists isn’t a dumb idea either.

1 Like

But then you would need a non-generic email naming system, so not name@company.com

Doesn’t say much for the MOD systems does it.