Phishing email

Anyone else receive the phishing email today?

Nope. Just the warning

It was pretty aggressive.
Quite intimidating for anyone unfamiliar.

I think the Corps response should be a bit more or concern when something that hardcore is sent widespread.

I’ve had it twice :roll_eyes:

Ditto.

I’m not personally worried. Its obvious to me.

But more that we have everyone from a 18year old staff cadet, though IT illiterates, through OAPs, using bader.

Obviously I am generalizing, but HQAC cannot assume everyone is going to be ok. I wonder how many will have tried to send bitcoins?

Thankfully the less tech savvy, will struggle to do that, so it is a bit self limiting.

Still.

That is MOD approach; get them all the time :+1:

Another survey about why you left??

2 Likes

Yes but we are slightly different from the MOD.

I suppose what im getting at, is in an organisation of this size, with this many people using its IT, (10,000 plus volunteers), actually I don’t believe it is acceptable to simply send an email out telling people to report it to Microsoft.

We should have a greater duty of care, as these emails have a personal risk, not just organisation risk.
I also think with an organisation of this size, not to have a 24/7 IT dept is fool hardy. Even if only 1 person through the night.

If anyone thinks im being too ridiculous, think of your most vulnerable staff member on your unit who uses Bader email, even if only the general account twice a year. Think if they received that vile, abusive phishing email, now of the impact on them.

I just think we should as an organisation we should take these external threats more seriously.

That’s all.

1 Like

I never got that. Shame. I would have filled it in with my input for HQAC anyway!

It’s odd, I’ve had to go looking for the email as it was in my junk… the risk is people who have disabled junk settings.

1 Like

My junk settings are enabled and it still came through to my inbox twice, it was also more sophisticated than the ones I usually get on hotmail in that it did appear to have been emailed from my own account.

Mine too.
But nothing in sent, deleted or recoverable.
I think is a line of code that makes it appear as though it did.

1 Like

Indeed, I checked like you did, but it’s at least a little bit sophistocated! .

Our curiosity does this happen elsewhere in charities???
The scouts must be as big and although less electronic in the way they work they still operate emails…

It seems unreasonable to expect 24/7 cover as I can’t imagine there are many (if any) CFAVs stuck with IT at 0330 regularly in need of a helpdesk number to raise an issue or ask a question…an of those who do how many would actually use such a helpline?

If it’s a case of monitoring the system 24/7 this could be covered by a early 0600 start to pick up the system before 99.9% of CFAVs would be using it to catch an issues that occurred overnight

Scouts use far less IT.
Probably a magnitude less.

As for 24/7. Really what is needed fully 24/7 is the ability to recover against widespread outages, hacks or phishing attacks etc.

If we lose access to a system, that is effectively our org out of business.

No SMS, no activities.
No sharepoint… actually so what.
No email, no comms.
No ultilearn, no exams

But the bader helpdesk isnt even open every evening until 10pm.!
So not even open for when its PRIMARY customers and users require it.
What is the naffing point?

Scouts do use email, however there is no single “scoutmail” unlike badermail, and so is much much harder to target the whole organisation.

There would be activities and done far more easily. Just not needing people with no idea telling us we can or can’t do it.
There would be comms, all the people I have regular contact with we don’t use bader.
There could be exams … done the proper way.

Get back in your box and stop trolling, or I’ll ban you.

5 Likes

But to give some perspective … the scouting movement is a magnitude larger … 10 times the size of RAFAC with 120 adult volunteers against 10k in RAFAC.

Less IT but they prosper …

So maybe

1 Like

Sorry … 120,000 adult volunteers