Pacesticks

Oh well wrong again​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Just heading off to kill my source of that info!!!

1 Like

I think this has been coming for a while. It happened when they created their own chain of command, then managed to place members of that chain at the top in several places: CACWO, Corps Training WO, Corps Drill WO. They’re everywhere!

There is no equivalent for officers because we have the actual chain of command, which sucks. While NCOs are able to leapfrog using their own one, which is frankly better.

1 Like

I know this is off topic so apologies admin!

Are the CACWO, Corps Training WO etc etc actually in the NCO’s chain of command. My boss is my sector commander and my SNCO’s are in my chain of command when on the squadron. Anything being ran off the squadron they take direction from the Activity Commander.

If the CACWO came down and started ordering my SNCO’s around then surely they can tell him with all respect to bog off and speak to myself (within reason)?

Within the same vane, the WO may be the CACWO and work direct with the CAC, but that doesnt mean he outranks a Flt lt.

Im curious about peoples interpretation, its never been an issue ive come across as other than the occasional idiot typically i get on pretty well with all staff in my area.

2 Likes

To some extent they have a separate chain of command because they tell people they have a separate chain of command.

The reality is that they have a separate chain of command because a self-perpetuating group of bullies have burrowed their way into the Corps, and the somewhat lacklustre command of the Corps simply doesn’t have the testicular fortitude to grip them lovingly by the throat.

There is also the reality that, at Sqn level, it’s widely/universally believed that there’s one rule for us, and another for Dawn’s Creatures - and that there is simply no point in attempting to grip these people because you’ll get a bullying snotogram from some GCSE-free stick monkey, with your Wing Commander CC’d in, telling you to back off. Your WCdr will then send you an email advising you to soften your cough, however right you may be, because these are Dawn’s Creatures, and she lets them do what they like.

8 Likes

Couldn’t of put it better!

Im under the impression tate and lyles are incoming for WO with 12 years service as a WO and WWO and above …

1 Like

That sounds horrifying…but might be like this beards thing. I’ll believe when I see it.

1 Like

I could tell you a little more…but my username isnt very imagnitive and i would get in a spot bother…

Not opposed to the Tate and Lyles, IMO should get rid of the crown and use the Tate and Lyle’s for WO and being in at least an adult Cpl rank.

But Tate and Lyle for a select few… why…

I believe its all to do with the RAF not being ok with the idea of 28 year olds wearing tate and lyles. In the RAF majority of WOs are nearing 25 years service when they get their promotion. So roughly 40 years old…brings the corps in line with that. (Appointed Sgt at 20, min of 4years to FS, 4 Years to WO promotion stage 1 (28 years old, 12 years of that brings you to 40 abd awarded T&L)

Cpl (RAFAC) i think will become to gap between 18 and 20 if the survey of cadet service is anyrhing to go by…

People in the RAF can attain WO rank as Master aircrew quicker I believe.

Warrants at 40 are a rarity…

That’s interesting with the Cpl idea… don’t understand why you have to start at Sgt. Majority of my training has been taken by Cpls. In terms of Range Qs and, dare I say it, drill quals, I don’t think the Sgt rank conveys any more extra privileges? I mean, I can’t do any of the above because I’m not an NCO. But between a two and three stripe is there much difference?

There is when you go on a station.

1 Like

Guys. Pace sticks.

3 Likes

Cpls get pace sticks too… (in a DI capacity…)

2 Likes

Reasonably rhetorical. Second and third Sig in the techie world. In terms of other section different levels of auths. Training wise, not so much.

I know the D&C WO well and he is not someone who struts around at all. If anyone in the Corps deserves a pace stick as a badge of office then it is him. He is also responsible for some major parades that do require pacing out.
RWOs, WWOs or deputy WWOs, maybe, but just on major parades. Most definitely not if you have just passed a course in walking in straight lines!

Not questioning the effort any CFAV puts in, but why does any need a pace stick as a “badge of office”?

Exactly. It’s a bit like a Skill at Arms Instructor insisting on carrying a rifle everywhere they go as a ‘badge of office’.

6 Likes