Outlook Web Access (Bader)

Does anyone know of a guide to using Bader email on this new system?

There’s nothing for the webmail stuff as far as I know. Definitely nothing on the knowledgebase.

I’ll carry on writing one (plagiarising the web). Just need to do something for the new chair and treasurer accounts. :?

when you’re done we could put it in the ACC library!

:slight_smile:

Is that a good idea? Could be a few security issues if it’s not checked for content first.

So have your chairman and treasurer got Bader email accounts? If so how?

So have your chairman and treasurer got Bader email accounts? If so how?[/quote]

ATC CORPS accounts vs HQAC establishment.
1 x RIAT OC
1 x RIAT-WO
1 x RIAT-LOGS
1 x RIAT-Campsite
1 x RIAT-OCCampsite
1 x RIAT-Enclosures
1 x RIAT-OCShowside
1 x RIAT-Tasking
1 x Shooting6
CCF
1 X CCFProjects2
1 X CCFProjects3
1 X CCFProjects4
1 X CCFProjects5
250? x CCF Contingent Commanders - cc.UNIT
1 x HQ CCF
1 x LT1.CCF – Sqn Ldr
1 x LT2.CCF – Sqn Ldr
1 x LT3.CCF – Flt Lt
1 x LT4.CCF – Flt Lt
1 x LT5.CCF – Flt Lt
6 x ALT1.AREA – Flt Lt
6 x ALT2.AREA – Flt Lt
6 x ALT3.AREA – Flt Lt
6 x Men1.AREA – Flt Lt
6 x Men2.AREA – Flt Lt
REGION
6 x Inst1SATT.REGION – SATTs report to HQAC? But will be counted vs Region establishment due to hierarchy
6 x Inst2SATT.REGION
6 x Inst3SATT.REGION
6 x Inst4SATT.REGION
6 x Inst5SATT.REGION
6 x Inst6SATT.REGION
6 x Inst7SATT.REGION
6 x Inst8SATT.REGION
6 x Inst9SATT.REGION
6 x Inst10SATT.REGION
6 x Inst11SATT.REGION
6 x Inst12SATT.REGION
6 X adjSATT.REGION
6 X cisaaSATT.REGION
6 X woSATT.REGION
6 X logsSATT.REGION
REGION & WING STRUCTURE
40 x DepWATTO.REGION/WING
40 x Treasurer.REGION/WING
40 x DepFieldcraft.REGION/WING
40 x WCPA.REGION/WING
40 x DepWO.REGION/WING
40 x DepShooting.REGION/WING
40 x DepDEA.REGION/WING
40 x DepFlying.REGION/WING
40 X DepFirstAid.REGION/WING
40 x VQ.REGION/WING - (Add in all.training groups with BTEC roles).
SQN
1000 x Training.SQN
1000 X Chair.SQN - DONE APART FROM EMAIL ENABLING GROUPS
1000 x Treasurer.SQN

So have your chairman and treasurer got Bader email accounts? If so how?[/quote]

They are being released wing-by-wing at the moment according to our local bod. We’ve been asked to do a bit of prep work so he can assign them. It seems this will give them access to Share Point but not SMS.

Issuing the Treasurer an account but not letting them see the Subs element of Bader? Genius. Only in the ACO.

Issuing the Treasurer an account but not letting them see the Subs element of Bader? Genius. Only in the ACO.[/quote]

They’ve always been able to do this if the Sqn sets them up via the generic log in and restricts the data to subs view only. It’s easier that way than assume all CWC can have preliminary access and the OC having to uprate their permissions. I doubt many people use the subs element as SO have become much easier to handle than cash.

We’ve never used the subs element of SMS, afaic subs is a CWC job and they advise as to whether or not cadet’s have paid.
The issuing of email accounts will be interesting locally, as my current Chairman doesn’t repsond to his private emails. I can see this meaning more admin in terms of dead accounts and re-issing passwords.

Is he the type to answer the phone or reply in writing? You can’t force people to send an email but you can shift the business to emails (read). One could lose out otherwise. At least if they copy you in as the boss you can mention it at subsequent meetings. Might end up in him not being voted back in at the AGM though.

He responds by coming down to the sqn, when a couple of lines would suffice or waits until a meeting. Based on this I can see this not working too well. He’s in his second term now and is set to stay … CWC politics, got to love it.

Will this change the status of CWC members, especially the execs? Currently they just turn up to help out with nothing to check suitability etc, which given the hoops everyone else goes through and knowing how admin and process heavy HQAC became under the last CAC and looks like continuing, is an anomaly.

Do we really need all those RIAT accounts for one event…really?

I think the question that needs to be asked here is do CWC Chairman & Treasurer need an email address. Answer is simply no, as they deal with the sole squadron only. Issues would be raised at CWC Meetings and anything urgent can be done over the phone.

Surely by giving them email addresses they will be in the All Wing mail drops, and could lead to Chairman interference…

Intresting that there will be an email for squadron training officers now too.

I disagree, I think civ com chair and treasurer do need email addresses and don’t see any downside at all.

It does strike me that staff need personal accounts over the CWC and bin the general account, yes there may be cost implications but this should be prioritised.

What we have with the general account as it stands is a single point of contact for the squadron Email for the squadron, be it form internal or external sources, has a single address which can be used to ensure that the squadron, as an entity, and all those staff at that squadron can have access to that mail.

The OC account is slightly different and comes with a set of higher rights commensurate with the responsibilities of that position. It can also be used as an addressee for particularly confidential matters or matters directly and solely concerning the OC.

Then they created the Adjutant accounts which I feel was an unnecessary step and which I personally do not use - the general account serves me adequately.

If we take away the general account and move to personal* accounts we will end up in a situation where mail to a squadron needs to be addressed to a multitude of addressees as opposed to just one or maybe two and the clean, simple system we have will be gone. The OC account could be used as the “general” account but that won’t work across the board and I am sure you all know at least one OC who is an administrative imbecile or who doesn’t share information: things will be missed and people will get annoyed.

So we need to keep the general account, regardless of any other arguments.
Do we then truly need personal* accounts for every member of staff? Will they check them? Will things still be missed?

If we do end up with more accounts then OWA needs to be set up so that the general accounts are “shared” email accounts and that the personal accounts of a squadron see the contents of the general account when they log in themselves - something which is definitely possible with Exchange.

None of this of course covers the additional administrative burden of creating the accounts, managing many more forgotten passwords, keeping on top of suspending, deleting, creating, reactivating truly personal accounts as a person’s status in the organisation changes and so on.

Regarding the CWC, there is presently no set way to ensure that the committees can be contacted directly by email - they are left to come up with their own email solutions. We’ll never be able to make them actually check them though but at least we can make it easier. I would argue against them getting any access to SMS and I’m not sure there is much on Sharepoint which will be of interest (nor much which will be a risk for them to see). They will need Ultilearn access so that they can do their Protecting Information exam annually :slight_smile:

I’d sooner see additional accounts created for legitimate roles at squadrons or wings which may not necessarily apply globally. For instance I use my squadron account as a contact point for Nijmegen work when it ought to be possible to have a nijmegen account for that purpose if I need it as it would keep the not insignificant number of emails the role generates separate.

Where individual accounts may actually be key is if somehow they went down the road of tying credentials to individuals and using them to authenticate into Bader, Ultilearn, JPA or other relevant systems but that would be a significant shift in the way that identity is perceived and used.

*By “personal” do you mean named for individuals rather than a set of numbered, generic accounts which are allocate to individuals?

Named accounts or role accounts that the OC assigns as with SMS access. If people have their own accounts they may feel they have more belonging as opposed the anonymous general account. If I wasn’t OC with a personal account so to speak, I wouldn’t look at the general one.
Personally the general account is more trouble than it’s worth and just an admnin task wrt password changes.

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=2163]Personally the general account is more trouble than it’s worth and just an admnin task wrt password changes.[/quote]Sounds like you are doing it wrong then.

It works just fine at my squadron. As adjutant I monitor it regularly and deal with the contents but other staff members check it too, see what is going on and can use it to communicate as needed. It is actually quote useful for opening up the workings of the unit to all staff and preventing the information hoarding which is rife at some units.