Outlook Web Access (Bader)

[quote=“incubus” post=2164][quote=“glass half empty 2” post=2163]Personally the general account is more trouble than it’s worth and just an admnin task wrt password changes.[/quote]Sounds like you are doing it wrong then.

It works just fine at my squadron. As adjutant I monitor it regularly and deal with the contents but other staff members check it too, see what is going on and can use it to communicate as needed. It is actually quote useful for opening up the workings of the unit to all staff and preventing the information hoarding which is rife at some units.[/quote]
There is a phrase “you can take a horse to water …”, which is why I and the adj ping bits to staff personal email, which I am more confident of them using.
The only way to make staff use it is by applying HQAC methods of take it or leave it, which sticks in my throat at the best of times. Overall the impersonal nature of the general acct is it’s main problem. I know loads of people who have looked at the general acct found nothing of interest to them personally, which is why they don’t uss it.
The whole concept of the Corps’ email set up must have been overseen / done by people with no experience of day to day business email systems and usage. At work we have a “general acct” but we had to go through more hoops to get it than an individual acct, as more than one person can use it.

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=2189]There is a phrase “you can take a horse to water …”, [/quote]I guess some people are interested in taking an active role in the running of the squadron and others are not.

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=2189]which is why I and the adj ping bits to staff personal email, which I am more confident of them using.[/quote]Funnily I do that too, from the general account :slight_smile:

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=2189]Overall the impersonal nature of the general acct is it’s main problem. I know loads of people who have looked at the general acct found nothing of interest to them personally, which is why they don’t uss it.
The whole concept of the Corps’ email set up must have been overseen / done by people with no experience of day to day business email systems and usage. [/quote]

If you had personal accounts, people would still get the same information. How could anyone know who to target? I think you are being a little bit harsh there. The chap who ran the programme in the early days did have plenty of experience in that area and the model has continued the same way by the sounds of it. Don’t forget email accounts are also linked to active directory permissions. If you don’t know what they are or why they are used then you don’t know enough about the subject really.

[quote=“incubus” post=2192][quote=“glass half empty 2” post=2189]There is a phrase “you can take a horse to water …”, [/quote]I guess some people are interested in taking an active role in the running of the squadron and others are not.

Using the general acct or not has nothing to do with taking an active role or not. People just can’t be bothered, as there is unlikely to be anything of interest to them. I only use the OC acct as it’s part of the job and then forward to my personal acct and delete from the Bader acct.
If the general acct was the panacea suggested, then there should be no need to send things, as the staff should all be reading it. I tend to send things to staff from my personal sqn acct as it doesn’t have the punitive restrictions imposed by Bader on things like attachments, overall acct size and doesn’t throw me out after 20 minutes.

Sounds like the problem isn’t with the account, more with the communication you are getting from your colleagues/Wing HQ?

Audience targeting isn’t a dirty word.

I thought mod accounts were for moderating issues only?..

replied by PM

What’s wrong with putting an auto-forward in place on the generic Bader email account!!! Forward to all staff, does away with constantly having to check the account; also means everyone sees it and can’t complain they haven’t…

Works for me, and i only use Bader accounts; the OC account for personal to the OC, generic for everything else…

Does anyone know if there’s a current document detailing how to set up Outlook to manage the email accounts?

I’ve found something from Jan 12, but the settings described no longer work (it’s for mail.bader.mod.uk as opposed to mail.aircadets.org).

Here you go:
https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/SouthWestRegion/DevonSomWing/Shared%20Documents/Wing%20Bader%20Help/Using%20the%20Bader%20E-Mail%20System%20(Exchange)/20120801-Setting%20up%20ActiveSync%20for%20Bader%20E-Mail-U-Bader.Staffs.docx

Thanks!