Originally-proposed changes to RAFAC Wings / Flying badges : did this ever happen?

Shall we get back to talking about badges, or I can lock the thread if it has run its course.

1 Like

Adult Sgt first solo at a VGSā€¦. Can only assume the award of cadet wings is symbolic / an in-joke?

I mean, staff arenā€™t actually wearing cadet badges are they??

Are we not meant to?

Are we not meant to wear a cadet flying badgeā€¦.?

Donā€™t know about you, but I donā€™t find myself with a burning desire to wear my marksman badge, or DofE gold from when I was a cadetā€¦. Not sure why wearing a Cadet badge for any subject (flying included), is something that should be done / is permitted through the regs.

Its just for a photo. Fairly obviously.

Yes, obviously, because nobody in our organisation would freestyle the rules would theyā€¦.

It was perhaps the only badge they had for the photo call. Iā€™m sure he wouldnā€™t wear it. Heā€™s not a cadet is he?

IIRC VGS staff have to do the silver and gold cadet syllabus before instructor training. So I guess heā€™s technically earned the wings even if heā€™ll never wear them.

1 Like

Yes VGS staff do the cadet syllabus as there training and get the badges but donā€™t wear them as such but Iā€™ve seems some wearing them on their flying suite name patches

Likewise. Might be the most Chad valley thing Iā€™ve ever seen.

1 Like

Maybe letā€™s not publicly shame other volunteers? Especially if they arenā€™t here to defend themselves?

4 Likes

Indeed.

Also, they are being rewarded for starting their career in this org to support cadets and cfavs.

Im all for slating losers and the biffs, but this chap in my big book of nupties doesnt seem to fit.

5 Likes

Perhaps @threaders could edit/crop the photo to just the wings?

1 Like

My old OC was ex Regiment.
He couldnā€™t wear mudguards or embroidered rank slides, but was ordered to wear his parachute wings by OC Wing as he had qualified for them.

Yup fair1, done.

Iā€™ve nothing against the chap in the picture, I just think itā€™s a slippery slide. Iā€™ve seen staff wearing cadet wings on their jumpers around the Corps, and itā€™s simply daft.

1 Like

Depends what rank he was in the Regt

3 Likes

My concern isnā€™t so much the CFAVs, but the positioning of the new wings on cadet uniform.
To the outsider, the wings look like RAF wings and are worn on the chest. The Nav Scholarship half wing is almost identical to RAF rear crew brevets.

Would it not be better for the wings to be worn on the shoulder patch to differentiate ?

That was the whole point of them

Yet we go to great lengths to differentiate cadets from regulars.

Surely the fact thereā€™s spotty teenagers wearing Flight Sergeant rankslides makes it pretty clear theyā€™re not regulars.:joy:

2 Likes