Orienteering

Sport or AT?

SMS sports applications have an ‘Orienteering’ option under activity type yet my wing sports officer has rejected it saying it should be an AT application.

There is no ‘orienteering’ option on AT applications.

How do I challenge his ruling?

A difficult question I think that it would depend on interpretation. I would suggest that if the option is there under a sports app then that is correct. You could send an email and discuss with sports officer and watto and come to agreement, you could also include your WEXO which may be able answer the question or seek advice from your regions TSA.

After a look though ACPEDTIs I cannot see any mention of orienteering, but the trecking ACATI can be used as guidance for it but that would mean BEL or LLA qualified staff and ratios.

You could have a look at the NGB for orienteering which might give you some advice on running orienteering safely and use that information in your email with all parties.

Hope this helps, but I cannot find any definitive answer, I have always used an AT app for nav training, to run orienteering, as I have 4 qualified staff in my sqn so can take the whole squadron under the ratios.

We run it through as an AT app in SMS- listed as map reading and navigation training.

Then email you WgSpt with the article about climbing being listed as an Olympic sport, as is archery, and clay target shooting… then wait for the explosion! :wink:

1 Like

So is rilfe shoting both air rifle/pistol and fullbore. Just wait until you apply to do the biathlon.

From the NGB point of view Orienteering is a Sport, it’s simply Cross Country where you figure the route out as you go.

2 Likes

I’ve successfully applied for Orienteering via an AT app in the past.
I wouldn’t bother your sports officer, canoeing is and rock climbing will be an Olympic sport, but still AT in RAFAC.

But if we put it through a WATTO aren’t they going to want people with Trekking qualifications even though it isn’t Trekking? (This seems to be the default position for RAFAC if it happens on foot). Do we really need LLA or BEL to use the Orienteering Course at our local park?

2 Likes

This is my concern. There’s two of us on the squadron with LLA/BEL but that’s not enough to take as many cadets as I wanted. The route is in an inner city park where the biggest danger is likely members of the public and there’s not much LLA provides that can mitigate against that.

1 Like

You could put it in to your Sports Officer as Cross Country Running as that’s what it is. The Map & Compass just adds to the physical challenge it doesn’t suddenly alter the reality of what the activity is.

The guidance from my Wing is that Orienteering using a permanent course is Sports, and should be applied for through the sport application.

Ad Hoc courses are Adventure Training, and should have an AT application submitted.

1 Like

My god, that’s a common sense policy, have that Wing closed immediately!

4 Likes

Do you think I’d need to submit a TOPL application too?

Unfortunatly the Adventure Training ACATI on Trekking has recently been updated and now includes orienteering in its scope. This means that it is now and AT activity and should be treated as such.

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/QM/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/QM/Controlled%20Documents/ACATI_Trekking.docx&action=default

Another wing summarised the changes:

Trekking & Orienteering

4. The following changes / clarifications have been made:

a. Orienteering now formally an ‘AT’ activity and subject to the same qualification requirements as trekking

b. ML Trained personnel allowed to lead independently in BELA / LL terrain, and under supervision in benign, familiar mountainous terrain. This authority is ONLY within 2 years of their training course.

c. Clarification on the addition of extra assistants / instructors and whether or not they count in the ratio of the qualified leader (generally not providing they meet qualification / experience requirements)

d. Clarification of remote supervision responsibilities and qualifications.

e. Minimum staffing requirements for managing multiple expeditions in lowland terrain have been defined.

f. Recognition of British Orienteering Federation coaching awards

So in the eyes of HQAC orienteering is now an AT activity and not sport.

Thanks for the update. Definitely the most comprehensive answer I’ve been able to find anywhere.

Seems utterly ridiculous considering the terrain this will be taking place in but looks like I’ll be reducing numbers substantially.

1 Like

your next question should be what is the ratio requirements for the event.

If BEL is 1:10 for trekking, that doesn’t necessarily follow for Orienteering as such locations don’t tend to be as “exciting” as BEL country

yes i understand courses are located in more interesting places than a town park, but being a set and proven course with the correct approach some sites shouldn’t need such a restrictive ratio.
Realistically how much supervision will you be offering to the teams made up of of 3/4/5 Cadets when the team numbers get above two anyway??

The ACATI covering trekking says that the ratio for established orienteering course is 1:10, I’ve asked my WATTO to confirm that.

ah right well there you go…

…a shame as some Orienteering courses are only the step up from the town park with some trees and relief to consider but rules is rules :sigh:

Orienteering done properly is a solo event so how much supervision are any cadets really going to get?

about a tenth of what an instructor is able to provide i guess…?

This thread shows the craziness of empire building in the Air Cadets! Running around a park is a Sport, but if they get given a map it’s AT!!
My view is that the course location should define who authorises it. If it is in the local urban park, which is enclosed, it is a sport. It does not need any qualified leaders to run it, just a responsible person to supervise.
If it is in the countryside (examples are the courses in the forest parks in Snowdonia) it is AT and it should be overseen by an appropriately qualified leader.
But this is common sense and there is a major dearth of that in our organisation at the moment!:roll_eyes: