Optimism bias

Inspired by this tweet from the commandant: https://twitter.com/ComdtAC/status/1691193592734228480?s=20

RCs and above seem to only visit the best squadrons when inspecting for the likes of the Lees/Morris/etc trophies. These sqns by definition are doing well so shouldn’t really be a topic of concern for the HQ.
Surely it would be a better use of time for the headshed to spend time visiting struggling squadrons to offer support and get a feel for the real challenges? For example sqns in old decrepit buildings, with low numbers of cadets, with few/no uniformed staff or committee members
Thoughts?

10 Likes

I’ve always thought this!!!

Having (#humblebrag) been through the Lee’s inspections several times over the years (plus having turned down the opportunity before as well!) it’s frankly a pain in the backside!

I know of Wings where they do “mock inspections” in advance - with WSO’s visiting the Squadrons to make sure their nominee is up to scratch; lots of polish and hoovering, repainting walls, cleaning windows and lots of admin checks to make sure all’s i’s are crossed and t’s dotted (or whatever). Just to make sure their “top squadron” is showcasing the very best of their wing.

Meanwhilst, down the road, Squadron Z at the back of the Wing pile is getting far less support. If even half the effort and energy was applied to improving Z as it was polishing the A team, things might actually improve for their cadets - probably without too much detriment to the cadets on A squadron.

11 Likes

I have no issue with celebrating the good, but much like a politician visiting a pristine, camera friendly hospital ward there’s no realism or balance provided to the visitor that highlights problems or struggles.

2 Likes

isn’t that the point of the Lees and Morris Trophies?

to find the best?

No point visiting the struggling Sqns as they’ll not be in the running for “best Sqn” Trophies

Unpopular opinion: I’d like to see unannounced visits from CAC and other senior personnel.

If you don’t know they’re coming, they get to see the squadron warts-n-all. They get to understand how a night happens, rather than the prim and proper that they’re presented with now.

If CAC and other seniors had come up from the RAFAC ranks, the need for this might be diluted, but they’ve typically had zero experience running a unit and would have no way to know what they’re seeing is choreographed BS.

CAC puts all the sqn numbers into a hat and pulls one out at random. They visit that squadron within a few weeks of doing so, but without advanced warning to the squadron. It’s the only way they’ll get a real understanding of what life is like on the ground.

9 Likes

Not unpopular at all. I wholeheartedly support this approach!

3 Likes

I don’t. I can’t imagine anything worse than having to entertain a VSO for a night. It’s bad enough when a sector commander visits!

2 Likes

If they expect to be entertained, they’re doing the ‘inspection’ wrong

9 Likes

… then they’ve clearly never sat through the Classification training syllabus.

2 Likes

Interesring twitter post…

Isnt that SW Regions cfav chief of staff??

Is she presenting the trophy to the sqn she is connected to…

#nosignsofnepotismatall

1 Like

Ahhhh, the RAFAC equivalent of TACEVAL?

2 Likes

It is the SW Senior Staff Officer + the OC Sqn of the winners of the Marshall Trophy (Most Improved) both are doing on a supernumary basis as are primary Region / Wing.

They are receiving, not presenting.

1 Like

Unsure, but also…

There’s nothing inherently unexpected or suspicious about a successful and motivated individual having enough influence to create a well-run and successful squadron.

1 Like

Yah that thing. You know what i meant.

1 Like

True true…

Odd that sw gp capt is not presenting…

I mean, rolling out an ex RAeS president is lovely and all, but actally this is the SW Region cert… maybe something their gp capt should present?

1 Like

They are the national winners, hence why Marshall Aerospace were involved

Yes i know that.
HOWEVER

This photo is for the Regional Winners. Read the certificate in the photo.

So the stage prior to National.
Regardless of when they recieved the national level.

This is them receiving the National Trophy & Regional Certificate, I appreciate it’s not very clear at all what is being presented or by whom in the Tweet.

I think john ford when he was regional commandants made a point of trying to visit each Sqn across the region during his time in post.

This maybe apocryphal but I believe he asked for the annual result of a wings training trophy and then started with the Sqns at the bottom.

The only issue with unannounced visits is if you have a stressed or inexperienced Sqn Cdr it can cause them to flap so you don’t get a good feel of how things are going.

Also if you stumble across issues, even minor ones, you can’t turn a blind eye which can lead to disproportionate action for the Sqn.

I think Dawn had this one time when she did an unannounced drop in to a Sqn and whilst there someone left a private air rifle in its case on the floor of the lobby to the building unattended which caused a minor kerfulle for all.

If the RCor CAC gave a weeks notice (or even a phone to the OC on that morning) that might work better as well actually checking that the Sqn is open that evening.

2 Likes

I can ask him… but sounds very much in character.

2 Likes