Optimism bias

Maybe a very good move as they appear on the surface to need the most support from their Wing and various resource and personality clashes could be revealed. Something like a 360-degree appraisal. Visit maybe 6 of the lowest rated Squadrons in a Wing. Then you may get a far better idea of the ‘health’ of the Wing rather than Wing ‘spin’ on the state of the Wing,

ETA:
Middle management unless they have to, for that read arm twisted so far up their backs ever take things up the management levels as it may stop them getting their next place on the totem pole.

I remember getting the advance warning of an environmental health inspection when working at Odeon during uni. It rendered the whole thing pointless, we just got a shed load of overtime to clean everything and check use by dates in the stock room.

I don’t think any notice should be required, but that also requires the senior officer to have the skills to observe without interfering with the plans for the night, and to calm down that inexperienced OC who may start to panic by having the boss attend.

3 Likes

Same as hospitals with CQC inspections, thankfully that is starting to change. I’d have the inspectors walk in at 03;00 rather than 09:00.

I was such an OC not too long ago. One of the things that caused that stress was the appearance of more senior personnel not really caring how the squadron was doing.

A visit by the CAC at that time, even if it had a lot of things to fix afterwards, would have shown me that people actually did give a monkeys and would have been a source of encouragement.

8 Likes

People are busy on parade nights, you don’t have spare staff knocking around to drink tea and have a how goes it with some uninvited Senior Bod. As a Squadron OC I made it quite clear that I expected my Sector Commander to let me know if they planned to attend, I would be distinctly unimpressed it the likes of CAC felt they could just turn up at my unit.

1 Like

I think my response would have been:

“Thanks for coming Sir; I’ve got quite a lot on tonight that I can’t drop as we’ve had [staff dropouts / last minute Wing deadline / insert additional bullpoop here] so there’s the kitchen - help yourself to a brew - feel free to have a wander around but try not to interrupt what’s going on. I’ll try and grab a few minutes for a chat with you later if I can.”

8 Likes

We’re on a TA compound, we just won’t give them the gate code. Simple.

2 Likes

But isn’t that the perfect thing for the visiting VIP - wander round, natter to the staff & see what actually happens on Sqn rather than be trapped on the fun fair show train.

If they give you as a OV ring in the morning as a courtesy, expectations can be managed & reduces any panic.

Just make sure you include in the brief what time the break is and the location of the smoking shelter. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And the fact that the milk is highly likely to be chunky, so you might need to nip to the shop?

4 Likes

Powered milk is your friend.

Well. Nobody’s friend in reality. But it helps to keep visiting dignitaries to a minimum.

I said as much to my Sector WO at my first Command, she insisted that she didn’t need to ask in advance if she could come down (I agreed, she didn’t need to ask but I expected her to tell me in advance which is a key difference), I pointed out that I had an electronic gate and a camera. :rofl: (we were good friends, but sometimes you need to set your stall out).

Lots of Squadrons don’t have the Staff or Cadet NCO’s to be nattering to VIP’s and a Wing Commander (or above) wandering about is going to cause disruption no matter which way you paint it.

4 Likes

I agree, but struggling squadrons don’t reflect the positive image that HQRAFAC wants !
This is no place for reality. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Repainting walls? We’ve been told that is an absolute no as it violates RFCA’s policy on “self help”

1 Like

You can redecorate yourself, you just need to ask RFCA’s permission, they will even provide the paint.

Seconded :+1:

Is off site iaw MOD policy so best get a patch on or suck it up

Maybe the RCs should go to Wing days or get 3 or 4 Squadrons together, ‘get rid of the hangers on’ sit down with the senior cadets in particular and give a ‘state of the nation’ type briefing and ask for questions from the floor.

ACM Glen Torpy used to do this when he was AOC 1 Group and higher when visiting stations, get rid of the stations execs and sit in the crew rooms and talk to the guys there.

1 Like

Trying to remember the name, but AOC 1 Gp in the early 1980’s would turn up (false ID) as SAC or Cpl Bloggs, wander into a techie crew room, & ask (as a supposed newly posted person on base) how the stn cdr was, etc… Got more than a few home truths.

Doing “Undercover Boss” before “Undercover Boss” was a thing.

2 Likes