One rule for us

Just another example of this and i know we’ve discussed before, but I’ve currently got 5 cadets on D&C Camp. I am watching the parade now…

• Some cadets in jumpers, some in shirts, none in Jeltex (Whatever happened to ‘uniformity’ or indeed climatic injuries - it is pouring with rain, cadets are stood still, no raincoats!)

• We were recently challenged by our RHQ about the value for money of an AT weekend I ran, as we used an MOD building and catering, but no cadets got badges…what badge do D&C Camp get, has this been challenged?

(Please note, I am not against D&C, but just wonder why some CFAVs are getting grief, but not others. If it was up to me we’d do more D&C as lots of cadets love it, but the same could be said for shooting and fieldcraft)

7 Likes

One for you @AlexCorbin ?

We’ve had the same about a camp we ran. A mixed activity weekend and we have been challenged on “value for money” as only 40 of the 90+ got a badge. The others got to try fieldcraft, drill with the RAF Regt, Leadership, Air Rifle Weapons Training.

4 Likes

Fully agree with @TimSqn had similar situation of the “Cost of a Camp” over “Badges Awarded” argument thrown at us recently.

Heaven forbid the Cadets do an activity for fun and experience of it.

As for missing jumpers - couldn’t local Squadrons be asked for spares?

Were Rain Coats on the JI’s / Kitting List?

When did it all become about badges? Some of the most rewarding and memorable stuff I did as a cadet didn’t earn me any badges (including ACLC at the time).

6 Likes

Since Special K got hold of the Budget.

1 Like

On parade during a yellow weather warning for rain/thunder 🫨🫨

But in this case, the issue isn’t too bad. I don’t see the lack of jeltex as a real problem as, although it is very wet, it is not cold at all. In fact, I think forcing the cadets to wear jeltex would lead to hear injuries…

(It is a bit odd that some are just in shirts though. Possible allergies?)

1 Like

Bearing in mind the whole country Ground to a halt because of a weather warning in the south only, including scotalnd and NI, this seems a bit hypocritical

1 Like

Not cold…yet cadets are in jumpers?

That was a red warning for wind and rain. Danger to life. It was compleatly nonsensical that they stopped all activity nation wide, yes. But this is not that.

Badges are quantitative, experiences are qualative.

The bean counters like to measure & score points (check out the annual wing training trophies). You can’t measure experience or compare it easily apart from maybe return participants,

There’s a lot of people who know the cost of everything but the value of nothing…

3 Likes

But the question is…if it was a squadron activity, would we have been allowed to continue?!

1 Like

Yes. I’d take cadets out in that weather all day long… It’s a bit of rain.

3 Likes

Think with all this panicking about Wet Globes and heat illness, we are forgetting the basics.

If it’s raining or uncertain weather forecast - Rain Coats as per the Kitting List and JI’s for the Final Parade.

2 Likes

You might but would HQ agree?

2 Likes

I know I’d likely get grief from my CoC if we did

2 Likes

I’d be letting them out in this too. I’ve done loads of rememberance parades where it’s been rubbish weather.

They won’t be out long, it’s not that cold and will be able to quickly change in to dry clothing after.

The only change I would have made was for those in just a shirt in to a jumper or geltex.

4 Likes

Yes. I’m all up for a bit of HQ memeing. But this is fine.

The incident being referred to where they stopped all activity was for a red weather warning. The problem was that they cancelled activity UK wide. This is literally some rain.

There is absolutely no issue running events when there’s some rain. Eastbourne Airshow is currently on and I’m 90% sure they’re will be some cadets there getting a bit wet too.

I thought that with any event over 72 hours and 50 cadets, there had to be a ‘cost benefit’ analysis done on the activity. I know some Regions are quite hot on it, and others not so.

Would be interesting to find out cost per cadet on some of these big ‘Corps’ events like RIAT, Nijmegen, D&C, Air & Space Camp, Music Camp, ACLC!! Bet they would never publish!!

2 Likes

It’s been done, RC W&W led a lot of it and is the reason you see a reduction in the availability of some, reduction in capability of the course or a spreading of what we get back. ie JL changing to give less weekends and fieldcraft instructor qual.