NYHL 2023

Good point

If that was directed at me, I in no way wanted to denigrate the BEM, nor did the thought of it being unworthy cross through my mind. Apologies for it coming out that way, I have only the up most respect for the deeds individuals preform to be awarded the medal☺️

Scouts have got more I believe.

I counted 1 MBE and 6 BEMs.

There are lot more Scout volunteers than CFAV though

1 Like

Do they do as much or for as long? I don’t know, I’m genuinely asking. From my experience they are 2 hours a week and few and far between weekends.

Usually sections meet for 2 hours (bit less for the younger ones) but often leaders work with more than one section. Weekends - maybe 1 day a month and a camp per term. Does depend on the group.

Point was more that with 141k volunteers a larger number of awards is to be expected

Hitting it between the legs perhaps but some Senior Wing Staff are not keen on putting people forward because it highlights their own failure to get recognised.

How does it look for a Wing Co to have lets say 2 staff with BEM while they barely have a CFM and jubilee to rub together?

I know thats a walty comment to make but when it comes to medals some get quite jealous either on the level of award or simply the number of medals worn…

2 Likes

To extrapolate a little bit from that so many of our adult volunteers were ATC cadets together that grudges & judgements, some stretching decades back to when people were 14 means that unfortunately egos & pettiness often get in the way.

To extrapolate that further have we been hindered by having Captain Manwairing with just a single Jubilee Medal as Commandant for the last 8 years?

1 Like

She did have a CBE as well

1 Like

Not to start with, she got that for the great job she did as Commandant.

2 Likes

I always thought it was for her work with the RAF Families Federation but the dates don’t really match up for that.

Families association wouldn’t have rated a CBE, whereas with us MBE-CBE are rank linked.

2 Likes

True that, I am sure I have seen some Wg Cdrs without a CFM recently - which was kind of like seeing a 1st Class Corporal.

1 Like

Awarded CBE 2017.

1 Like

One would have thought having an adminner in charge would have helped with honours and awards…

Wg Cdr Hobson is OC Ops at 2 FTS. Absolutely in it for all the right reasons. Ex VGS before becoming full time.

1 Like

Wow what a salty thread… Is everyone not in this organisation because they enjoy doing it? I would be honoured to ever be put forward any sort of award but it’s not that important. A meaningful thank you from the CoC is enough.

4 Likes

It would be enough if it happened.

We had a comms through middle of last year, “do you have any members of staff who haven’t had a meritorious service award? If so, tell us who and we’ll get one for them”.

No mention of what they should do to earn it, what hoops the award had… Is that meaningful?

2 Likes

We dont even get those.

1 Like