Numismatics (Coin & Medal Collecting)

Ah, I see. So they were sent with the ribbons included but not already fed through the mount?
That’s interesting.

Probably saved a lot of man hours doing it like that

This is the one that was mooted:

Type 1 VM

Looks terrible!

1887 QV Golden Jubilee Medal with 1897 clasp (Bronze) (Met Police issue\14,000 issued\engraved: PC T.Weaver F Div) - £75.00 - Sold

1887 QV Golden Jubilee Medal with 1897 clasp (Silver - officers, ladies and gentlemen) (1,012 issued) - £350.00 - Sold.

1897 QV Diamond Jubilee Medal (Silver - officers, ladies and gentlemen) (3,040 issued) - £150.00 - Sold.

1 Like

Right my fellow Nerds, I’m just starting the process of trying to track down my Grandads war record and to establish what medals he would’ve been entitled to. (They are long lost and I’m considering getting replacements and having them framed for my Mum).

Can anyone point me in the direction of good websites to do some initial research? (I suspect I’ll end up doing to form to the MOD at some point).

Additionally the 1939-1945 Star was awarded for 180 days of Operational Service and the War Medal 1939-1945 was awarded for 28 days full time service. Does that mean that everyone who got the star also got the war medal?

I believe based on things my mum told me 20 years ago that he would be eligible for the Africa Star as he served in Egypt and the Desert. Would qualifying service for this also count towards qualifying service for the 1939-1945 Star? Or would you only get or. Of the other?

2 Likes

I use www.ancestry.co.uk
www.forces-war-records.co.uk

All recipients of campaign stars would also qualify for the War Medal. The 1939-45 Star could be worn with The Africa Star. See allowed combos below.

There are 9 WW2 campaign stars and 10 clasps. A maximum of 6 campaign stars with 5 of the clasps could be awarded. The campaign stars are:

The 1939–1945 Star (may be worn with either Battle of Britain clasp or the Bomber Command clasp)

The Africa Star (may be worn with clasp for either North Africa 1942–43, 8th Army or 1st Army)

The Italy Star

The Arctic Star

Only one of the following 3 stars may be awarded. If eligible for a second star then the relevant clasp is worn in lieu

The Atlantic Star
The Air Crew Europe Star
The France and Germany Star

Only 1 of the following 2 campaign stars could be awarded. If eligible for both then the second earnt is worn as a clasp.

The Pacific Star
The Burma Star

MB

2 Likes

That’s really helpful thanks a lot.

2 Likes

As frustrating as alot of you are.

I do love this site. There isnt anything that ‘the brain trust’ cant solve or help with.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading Guy Walters’ excellent book ‘The Real Great Escape’ recently. Found this image, purportedly of the redoubtable Sqn Ldr Roger Bushell, on another website. However, it throws up a bit of a question.

The picture clearly shows him wearing the ribbon of the DFC or AFC. As he was shot down on his first (and only) operational mission it’s unlikely to be a DFC and I can’t find any reference to him being awarded the AFC, either during his AuxAF career or time as OC 92 Sqn. Nothing in the gazette, on his gravestone or in any of the official publications.

Is this actually him, if so, why the ribbon? Hoping someone might have some gen.

MB

Anyone seen WO Alperts medal collection… Absolute legend.

3 Likes

Not seen someone with that many miniatures on before. Bloody awesome! I’d be intrigued by a full list of what he has?

HONOURS

1989 – GSM 62 Clasp Northern Ireland

1990 – The Gulf Medal 1990-91

1999 – NATO Medal with Clasp Kosovo

2002 – Queen Elizabeth II’s Golden Jubilee Medal 2002

2003 – LS&GC Medal (Royal Air Force)

2005 – The Iraq Medal without Clasp

2006 – Operational Service Medal for service in Afghanistan with Clasp

2011 – Accumulated Campaign Service Medal

2012 – Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee Medal 2012

2013 – Long Service and Good Conduct Medal Clasp (Royal Air Force)

2016 – Meritorious Service Medal

2019 – Member Order of the British Empire (MBE)

3 Likes

Bet he’s dreading the Jubilee medal, gonna cost him a fortune!

3 Likes

I’m sure they’ll cover it for him… Given he’s the Warrant Officer of the RAF

That looks ridiculous.

I mean fair play to him.

But looks rediculous

I don’t think that’s him, I’ve done a “duplicate image” search on Google and it appears no one else has added that photo as “Roger Bushell”.

Also that photo has Auxiliary insignia and later phots from his regular career don’t show him with any ribbons.

I think 2 or 3 rows would of been wise.

2 Likes

The Irish system of multiple rows is growing on me. Maximum of 7 per row, overlapping after 5. Avoids needing such a big bar that’s going to get in the way of his drinking.

3 Likes

Was going to say I bet he gets caught on things :joy:

1 Like

This.

Please. No one think, I’m criticising the man, his efforts or his medals.

Just that one long bar looks pretty bloody odd.
Especially when it is wider than the width of the jacket half!

1 Like