No more salutes

How would that play into reserve liability?

1 Like

CFAV donā€™t have any reserve liability.

As I understand it, even ex regulars donā€™t retain their commissions - they just go on a list to be recalled if needed?

No need to get too hung up on this issue. Yes there are some who should be saluted and perhaps some (Mayors etcā€¦) who perhaps are not ā€œentitled ā€œ, but, it could be regarded as a courtesy acknowledgment of someoneā€™s position within the civic world. Iā€™m happy to salute any mayor in full regalia, the Chief Constable, Chief Fire Officer etc even though they do not hold a ā€œCommission ā€œ in the military sense. Lord Lieutenants definitely along with their Vices and Deputies as they represent the Sovereign. However, fancy dressed St Johnā€™s, Scout Leaders, other Civic officials I donā€™t think I would. In fairness, I never got used to being saluted by junior officers when I got promoted. Always felt a bit odd.

4 Likes

Yes but see further comments. Commissionā€™s are not removed from a person. Henstill held a Commission in retirement

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m following you, Iā€™m afraidā€¦

Why do you think that they retained their commission after they resigned as an officer and became a CI?

Iā€™m an officer. When I decide to leave, I will resign as a CFAV, which will mean that I will also resign my commission.

I may be granted the right to use my rank (with the suffix retd.), and wear uniform on specific occasions, but I will not hold a commission, and will therefore not be entitled to be saluted.

1 Like

Agreed, this is my understanding of it. Iā€™m not sure if people are conflating the holding of a literal physical scroll as a ā€œcommissionā€ as opposed to the state of ā€œbeing commissionedā€. The actual scroll is in effect just a copy/record of a decision taken by HM at a particular time to grant commissioned status upon a person.
Just because you have a copy of that decision, however ornate it may (or may not for cfc) be, doesnā€™t mean that decision was irrevocable.
When you resign/retire from a commission, I believe that is gazetted in the same way as appointment to a commission or promotion. That is HM revoking the commission and thereby it ceasing to have legal standing or effect, notwithstanding the fact you may still have the scroll in the downstairs loo.

Wrt the ex-commissioned CI, I would only salute them as a courtesy when they are attending events in uniform under Retd status (e.g. mess dress for a dining in), as they are no longer commissioned I would not salute them when they are non-uniformed and attending as a CI.

I think thereā€™s a technical difference between resigning your commission and retiring. The former you donā€™t keep any of the privileges, the latter you do. Not sure how it works really with CFAVs

3 Likes