No more salutes

I know, and when people say you are not part of the RAF then you can understand my feelings when you get copied into email like that!

In our area it’s handled a bit more sensitively - phrased as an invitation (and I’ve never managed to get there as I’m usually working). I think that’s a local issue.

Interesting - that doesnt match my experience.
I was on camp at Halton this summer and the regular personnel from week 1 recruits all the way up to the SWO paid complements to ATC officers (including the RTS DIs).

1 Like

Been saluted all year long, in uniform, in mess dress, in MTP and in Civvies all across the UK - so not sure where this is coming from to be honest…

1 Like

Conspiracy: you’re Dawn :wink:

2 Likes

To be fair, they probably saw a little bit of rank and immediately had a meltdown. The senior man when I went through tried to have us salute a corporal.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl::joy: whilst she and I maybe around the same age thats where the similarity stops inc Im male…

It’s 2018 we can’t assume

2 Likes

in reality who (which regular) is going to spot a Officers SD peak hat and/or beret badge and not salute before they spot the rank slides to check if they are RAFAC or Regular?

if they choose not to salute either
1 - pick them up on it if you are that bothered
2 - let it slide, they aren’t bother and neither are you

2 Likes

It’s a tricky one given the stuff in AP1 about values and standards though. ‘The standard you walk past is the standard you accept’ (that was a General, I think, but it’s a fair point).

I know this is a while late :joy:
But in short a commission is a commission and must be saluted.

2 Likes

This is just a poorly-written regulation that misses nuance because they’ve tried to make it easy to understand (or emphasise that their people do in fact acknowledge officers of the other services).

People still salute the Lord-Lieutenant and appointed deputies.

Commissions are wider than the military.

Completely missed that this was years late.

2 Likes

Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of who is entitled to salutes?

It is indeed much wider than sovereign’s commissions, because we salute commissioned officers from foreign countries and Commonwealth republics. I know we salute Lord-Lieutenants, because they’re the King’s personal representatives: but what about mayors and council leaders?

Someone (who had reason to know these things due to a posting at Northolt) once told me the only politicians that get saluted are those in the direct chain of command. Now, I know that would include the PM, DefSec, and possibly MinAF: but I’m not sure who else.

What about retired officers? They’ve retired or relinquished their commissions, but some retain rank and / or permission to wear uniform …

Interesting. Maybe it’s because those politicians are also Rt Hon due to position as privy councillors (although there are hundreds of PCs and they seem to remain so once appointed).

Its there in AP818

PART 2 - CHAPTER 1
Because of their link with the Sovereign, the
following are also paid some form of compliment:
a. Members of the Royal Family.
b. Governors and Ministers to whom the Sovereign delegates authority.
c. Formed bodies of troops on the Sovereign’s business.
d. All Colours and Standards of the Royal Air Force and their equivalent in the
Royal Navy, Royal Marines and Army.
e. All Officers, as holders of the Sovereign’s commission.

Indeed, all sorts of former ministers, shadow ministers, leaders of minor parties, etc, are privy councillors for life and entitled to Rt Hon. (Not to mention all members of the House of Lords.)

1 Like

I think it’s current Ministers, not former ones.

I have in the past saluted Mayors as a sign of respect of their position of office more so than their direct link to the HM. As the VIP in attendance it has always felt fitting.

yes absolutely.

At a previous Squadron we would salute one CI, which might have seemed on, but he was a former Officer and Sqn OC. Although he retired from uniform, he still held his commission, a commission isn’t removed from an individual simply because they stop wearing the uniform.

The Squadron President was a retired Group Captain, and was saluted, as was the retired Wing Commander CWC Chairman. We obviously saw both very infrequently but they still received a Salute

1 Like

I do find that odd.

I assume he retired, on which case he would no longer be commissioned?