No 4 (Interim) Mess Dress help

Got a formal mess dinner coming up soon, and I’ve been advised that as I have not got a set of No 5’s, that No 4 dress would be my best option for wearing. The problem is, there are a few things I have missing from my uniform and as such would need to acquire them beforehand. Has anybody got any idea where I could find: A set of Cpl chevrons (for No1); an ATC mudguard(again not the one that goes on the brassard, the smaller one designed for the number ones shoulder flash) and finally, the wrap-around belt that goes with the number one jacket, as I was not given one when issued with said jacket :?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I can’t help you with any of the items i’m afraid.

I am however a little bit surprised that there are staff out there who expect their cadets to have No.5 dress and if not to wear No.4 dress.

Apologies, updated the original post, glaring error on my part, it’s a formal mess dinner, not the cadet squadron dining in that I need them for.

Cadets should not be wearing No 4 SD IAW AP1358C

/SNCO

Who has advised you? I would go down the ‘black tie’ route.

Rule of thumb, if you are wearing uniform to represent your unit at a specific event then your unit should issue you what you require.

This is a very useful rule of thumb to follow for cadets as buying some of the fancier bits of uniform privately can cost quite a bit, and many a cadet go ahead and spend without really checking what is wanted beforehand! Especially bearing in mind AP1358C ruling on Cadets in No.4 Dress.

Wear greens, complete with jungle hat and cam cream.

But seriously, can’t you just wear a suit? Or not go. I usually find that’s the best approach to dining in/out nights.

In what capacity are you attending? Are you attending physically to represent the ATC? In which case, this is highly unusual and breaks etiquette, as cadets should not generally be invited to such things. I know not your age, but if you are under 18 this causes more complications!

If you are attending as a guest of someone, and you happen to be a member of the ATC, and therefore have requested to wear uniform, then don’t. Because in this instance you are attending as a guest, and would be expected to attend in a dinner jacket.

[quote=“green monkey” post=8608]In what capacity are you attending? Are you attending physically to represent the ATC? In which case, this is highly unusual and breaks etiquette, as cadets should not generally be invited to such things. I know not your age, but if you are under 18 this causes more complications!

If you are attending as a guest of someone, and you happen to be a member of the ATC, and therefore have requested to wear uniform, then don’t. Because in this instance you are attending as a guest, and would be expected to attend in a dinner jacket.[/quote]

Staff Cadets are invited to our Wing Dinner.

In fact, this thread is now tapping into my issues with dinners and Staff Cadets. I’m going for a lie down.

A very odd question to hear from a Cadet… a few issues with this.

1. Why would any cadet have a No 5 mess dress? (have you seen how much they cost) SNCO’s (ATC) and Officers only in AP1358C

2. No 4 optional mess dress again AP1358C states SNCO’s and Officers without No 5 I cant see it mention anywhere that Cadets can wear it if it dont say they can they cant.

3. The belt for No 1’s is tailor made belt to match a set of number 1’s very rarely do they match any other set.

Is it actually a belted jacket?
How many buttons does it have?
4 shiny = Old style, no belt worn.
3 shiny and one plastic = New style, should have a belt.

[quote=“Charlie-Whiskey” post=8599]Got a formal mess dinner coming up soon, and I’ve been advised that as I have not got a set of No 5’s, that No 4 dress would be my best option for wearing. The problem is, there are a few things I have missing from my uniform and as such would need to acquire them beforehand. Has anybody got any idea where I could find: A set of Cpl chevrons (for No1); an ATC mudguard(again not the one that goes on the brassard, the smaller one designed for the number ones shoulder flash) and finally, the wrap-around belt that goes with the number one jacket, as I was not given one when issued with said jacket :?

Thanks! :)[/quote]
Without wanting to WEE on your turnips, I think what everyone is trying to say is:

a) the regulations prohibit cadets from wearing No.4 (Interim) and No.5 (Mess Dress)

and

b) you shouldn’t waste your time, energy or money trying to secure these items

Whoever advised you to wear this style of uniform in the first place appears to be a tad misguided.

A what?

A what?[/quote]

Must admit Ive never seen one of these wasnt sure if it was a new thing or not for those that can wear No 1’s

He may mean the old ‘Regiment-style’ ‘Air Training Corps’ mudguard that was common when we wore the BD blouse. Mind you, that was a lot bigger than the brassard badge…

[quote=“Charlie-Whiskey” post=8599]Got a formal mess dinner coming up soon, and I’ve been advised that as I have not got a set of No 5’s, that No 4 dress would be my best option for wearing. The problem is, there are a few things I have missing from my uniform and as such would need to acquire them beforehand. Has anybody got any idea where I could find: A set of Cpl chevrons (for No1); an ATC mudguard(again not the one that goes on the brassard, the smaller one designed for the number ones shoulder flash) and finally, the wrap-around belt that goes with the number one jacket, as I was not given one when issued with said jacket :?

Thanks! :)[/quote]

Question 1. Whyhas a Cpl Been “ISSUED” a No1 Jacket.

And surely the only for of Dress for a Cpl going to such a function is No2 Trousers DMS Shoes white Shirt and Black Bow tie, just like the other waiting staff.

As others have said, ACP1358c states that only staff are to wear No5 or No4 dress, cadets would only wear either No2 dress (light blue shirt and tie) or salon dress(White shirt and bow tie). So whoever told you to wear them is completely in the wrong and contravening dress regs.

As usual, however, it is entirely possible that there is nothing the OP can do about this.

Yep, as a cadet you do as you’re told. It is unfortunate that whoever asked them for this doesn’t appear to know what they’re able to ask, but we shouldn’t give the OP a hard time!

All the cadets have access to AP’s on my Sqn and I have said even though they dont have to read them it wouldnt be a bad thing to do (NCO’s do read them)

If I was telling a cadet to do something that contradicts the AP I would expect them to let me know.

So you’d be happy as an OC of however many years to be told by a cadet that you don’t know what you’re talking about?

It’s fine in theory, how many cadets have the guts to stand up to their staff members, and more importantly how many staff members would listen to a cadet’s opinion if it directly contradicts their own?